Corsair Community

Questions about usable fans with the H80

jimisayss

Hey everyone first time posting i just have a few questions about the h80 and which fans would work best,

Now i know that with a radiator you are looking for static pressure, how i have found a can from koolance;

Fan, 120x38mm, 184CFM

Dimensions: 120x120x38mm

Type: Dual Ball-Bearing

Connector: 3-pin (3-wire with tachometer)

Rated Voltage: 12VDC

Current: 2.0A

Speed: 4000RPM (max)

Static Pressure: 20.4mm-H2O

Airflow: 183.5CFM (max)

Noise: 59.00dBA (max)

my question is will this fan work with the h80 controller. if not is there a similar fan that will. Loudness is not an issue to me.

thank you for all that can help.:biggrin:

All fans will work with the cooler itself. Just that some fans , depending on the "start-up" voltage required,may not function as they should.

They may run at full speed all the time. Some users have opted to use a third party fan controller to be able to vary the fans speed.

Okay well this fan has a 4pin molox connector for power and a single 4pin fan connection which i assume controls the speed. would t he h80 be able to regulate the speeds?

No, The three pin is just a tach lead to register speed .

You would need fans that get their power from the four pin fan connector. no molex. or a fan controller that supports molex connectors.

Thank you for the answers, one more question

So now that i have these fans, and a fan controller, I would plug these into the fan controller using molex, would i plug the tach wire into the cooling block? would it make a difference? would it show me the speeds in the bios? or with speed fan,

No, The three pin is just a tach lead to register speed .

You would need fans that get their power from the four pin fan connector. no molex. or a fan controller that supports molex connectors.

Okay say this fan does have a 4pin connection on it, newegg isnt very specific. if i plug it into the Block of the h80 will it control it, or does it risk blowing out the controller. since these fans require 12v

Okay say this fan does have a 4pin connection on it, newegg isnt very specific. if i plug it into the Block of the h80 will it control it, or does it risk blowing out the controller. since these fans require 12v

There are no quarantees! It all sdepends on the "start-up "voltage . Meaning the voltage that is required to actually start the fans. NOT what the fans are rated for.

So now that i have these fans, and a fan controller, I would plug these into the fan controller using molex, would i plug the tach wire into the cooling block? would it make a difference? would it show me the speeds in the bios? or with speed fan,

You would plug them into your fan controller bypassing the H-80 block. Sorry the H-80 will not control the fans with your fan controller or be able to read the fan speed unless you plug that fans tach lead to your MB header.

Archived