Corsair Community

Corsair RM 450 & 650 ticking after power cable is disconnected

DarkAvenger

I don't know johnny, You tell me? :) I also tried both PSU's now connected to motherboard, disconnected from everything and connected to PSU tester, and everywhere is the same result. It's like it doesn't take the charge from electromagnetic interference capacitors. Any clues?

• Corsair Employee

Maybe I misunderstand what you mean by "disconnecting your PSU".

What is your test scenario? Is this plugged into a motherboard or not? You contradict yourself in your latest post by saying you're "now connected to motherboard (which means you weren't before), disconnected from everything." What's everything if you're still connected to the motherboard?

Why don't we start from the beginning. When do you hear the noise? And why does this concern you? Does it do it under normal operating conditions?

Hi there Jonny,

I have a Gembird CHM-03 PSU tester, and I use it to test PSU's I buy. I had installed both of the PSU's in system, and also tested them with CHM-03.

The scenario is very simple. When I:

• disconnect PSU from power in the wall
  • turn off the PSU
  • have it in computer
  • have it on tester

I always have the ticking noise. In general, it doesn't matter "much", but when I turn off the main rail that is connected to UPS, it starts ticking.

I have a workstation/gaming computer + server on one rail.

Any clue how to solve it, or is it RMAble thingie?

Thank You for Your time!

kind regards

Bryan

• Corsair Employee

You have it in the computer, but NOT connected to the motherboard. Correct?

When it's connected to the PSU tester, it clicks?

When the PSU is plugged into the motherboard and in normal operating condition, does it click?

What's "the main rail from the UPS". You mean, "the AC from the UPS"?

I realize that English may not be your first language based on your previous posts, but your a little all over the place and I can't tell what you're doing.

Let's try this:

If the PSU is plugged into the motherboard and it has power from the UPS and the off/on switch on the back is "on": Does the PSU click?

No tester. Just hooked up the way it's supposed to be.

Hi there Jonny,

Thank You for Your quick reply at the first place.

The PSU can be connected to the motherboard, and when I turn off the power [from the power supply, either by clicking 1/0 on PSU, or main power branch], it tick tocks. The PSU can be connected to the tester, and when I turn off the power, the same thing happens. The PSU can be put out of the computer, connected to the tester, and when I turn off the power, again, the same scenario.

And also, when I disconnect all the cables from the PSU, and connect only 220V cable to the PSU, turn it on [1/0 switch on PSU's back], and turn it off, I have the same tick tock.

PSU is doing it autonomously, regardless of the device it sits in, or is hooked on.

I wouldn't mind if it did for 1-5 minutes, but depending on how much time PSU spent on power, it may click up to 30 minutes, which is crazy. At first, the ticking is very fast, much faster compared to the video, and it gradually slows down.

Sorry for my english, it's not my native language,

kind regards

Bryan

• Corsair Employee

Still confused. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let's do this one scenario at a time or I'm not going to help you. You're throwing three to four scenarios in each post and because of your poor English, it all comes out jumbled and I can't isolate what scenario is giving you this noise.

When the PC is off (i.e. "standby"), set up like you would normally set up any PC with the PSU plugged into the motherboard, and the power is LIVE (plugged in and the on/off switch on the back set to "on" or the "I" logo), do you get the clicking noise?

Hi there Jonny,

sorry for all the trouble I make You go through, I'll put it into points.

• psu inside the case, connected to the motherboard - when I turn off the power [i/o on PSU]/remove the power cable from the psu [220v], psu ticks
  • psu inside the case, connected to the tester [not motherboard, tester only] - when I turn off the power [i/o on PSU]/remove the power cable from the psu [220v], psu ticks
  • psu outside the case [on the table], connected to the tester - when I turn off the power [i/o on PSU]/remove the power cable from the psu [220v], psu ticks
  • psu outside the case with no cables whatsoever [on the table] - when I turn off the power [i/o on PSU]/remove the power cable from the psu [220v], psu ticks

All in all, power supply unit, both of them, ticks, whenever they're disconnected from the power source/power cable is disconnected, or the [i/o] power switch is turned from on[1] to off[0].

When the PC is on standby, and the power is going to the PSU, there's absolutely no clicking whatsoever.

Is there anything I can do about it, or should I RMA it?

Kind regards

Bryan

Hi there Jonny!

Topology is as follows:

Wall socket > RMi/RFi overvoltage protection with wattmeter > UPS with RMi/RFi > RMi/RFi multisocket plug [Acar] > Workstation/Server.

So "wall" is in my case both, "wall" - direct wall, and highly filtered and modified electric current from this "system" I described in the upper sentence.

I tested both.

And yes, when I unplug the cable from the PSU, there's the very same clicking, and it takes from 5 minutes, to 30 minutes, depending on how long the PSU have been connected to the power.

When it's been there for a few minutes, it starts ticking very fast, and ticks very long, when it's been there only for a few seconds, it already ticks very slow, and will last up to 5-10 minutes tops.

• Corsair Employee

Ok. So you tested with the PSU plugged directly into the wall as well. Good.

I don't have an RM450/550/650 in front of me so I can't test how "normal" this behavior is.

Do you have other RM450/550/650 PSUs around that don't make this click (I believe you have or have experience with an RM750 or higher.

The PSU is meant to be in a PC with AC power. From what I'm reading, as long as the PSU is plugged in and in the on position, there's no click, but I doubt it's something they'll allow an RMA for because there's nothing wrong with the PSU otherwise and you're not creating the noise in a normal operation environment.

The click is probably coming from the inrush current relay and as long as there is a charge in the bulk cap, it's sending small amounts of current below the normal operating voltage to the relay and it makes a click. As long as the PSU is plugged in and "on", the bulk cap receives and maintains a charge and the relay remains either open or closed.

Salutations jonnyguru,

Thank You for Your thorough answer. The RM 750 and RM 850i I have are very good. RM 750 is totally silent, with no clicking, nor any electric noise whatsoever. RM 850i has a slightly higher electric noise level, and a very little noisy clicking fan [here it's fan for 100%]. Both of them don't show any symptoms, like 450 & 650.

Thus, they don't do any clicking when out of electricity.

If You say it's okay, and there's nothing to worry about, I'll bear with it I guess,

Thank You once more Jonny!

Humble regards

Bryan

P.S.: Any chance when RM650i will hit the European shelves? [RM 750/850/1000i already did]. He's shorter :) [160 mm vs 180 mm], which is crucial for my next iTX computers I'm gonna build. I know You're not official Corsair representative, but I'm tryin' out my luck.

• Corsair Employee
He is an official Corsair rep,so what he says is good;):...

Well.. to be clear: I work for Corsair, but I am not tech support. The forums were "taken away" from tech support because it was too much of a time suck to take care of actual support tickets/issues. That's why when someone asks "can I RMA for this reason" or "how do I RMA this", I point people to the link at the top of the page.

Archived