Corsair Community

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R and TWIN2X4096-8500C5D boot loop

ceng41

Hi,

Just want some help here to confirm my findings.

I have the boot loop problem with a new build with Gigabyte EA-EP45-UD3R with Corsair Twin2x4096-8500C5D. Machine tries to start up Vista, then it reboots. Have been researched and found out a lot from this forum, quite a few people have problem with similar problem.

Within BIOS setting, I put in CAS 5-5-5-15, command rate of 2, RAM voltage 2.1V.

Downloaded RamTest86+, results shown in .jpg file. Testing each single memeory stick by itself in each individual memory slot, it passed the tests. Whenever I put in two sticks, then the test failed. Given that I did not finish testing all available configurations, and only have a few days to RMA the motherboard, so is eager to look for some assistance.

Do you think is a motherboard problem? or something in the Bios that I did not set up properly. Please advise. Thanks,

Corsair.JPG.b4e71ed564c35473d00277e9de5d6ec5.JPG

Make sure you have the most recent BIOS flashed. Then, clear your CMOS and set the RAM timings and voltage again manually. If this is still not stable try increasing your memory controller (MCH or North Bridge) voltage 1-3 steps above the stock setting.

similar problem as me.. I was told that it was my mobo, but after sending it back to gigabyte, lol, they sent me the same one back.. And with the same problems... It'll run memtest all day long with one stick, but as soon as i put in dual channel mode it crashes memtest and reboots.. I have exact same mobo and memory as you. I will be following this post to see what happens with yours. Good luck

I have flashed to the latest BIOS F9 before I posted the problem, not a gamer and do not care about OC.

Following SPECMIKE suggestions, hard reset BIOS and still having issues. Please see attached M.I.T. tweak for my current settings. It is much more better now with MCH Core set to 1.05, at least Windows Vista starts up, and I can do some work. But occasionally, it still either blue screen or reboot, sometimes 1 minute after Windows starts up, and others after 4 hours. So it is better but not stable.

Based on Yankee80 experience, I am not going to RMA the motherboard to Gigabyte. Unfortunately, UPC code was already cut off and submit for rebate, which means Newegg is not going to exchange it for me.

I also did all the memory test, only problem is in dual channel mode, which means memroy stick in Slot 1 & 3, or Slot 2 & 4, but I usually have at least two successful pass (when MCH Core = 1.05V). The best is 7 successful pass.

Yankee80, lets monitor this thread (or yours) closely and share the experience.

GA-EP45-U3DR and Corasir settings.txt

I'm working on a similar issue. I have the EP45-UD3L motherboard and 2GB modules, but essentially the same config. I set the RAM to 2.1V and the MCH Core to 1.3V (AUTO set it to 1.1V). I can now get both modules to run in single channel (slots 1 & 2), but still fails to POST in slots 1 & 3. I wanted to make sure it was stable before bumping it up some more, so I'll report back after more testing tonight. I'll also give DerekT's values a try.

I am still modifying MCH Core from 1.05V, and increase the value one step (.02V) at at time and run Memtest after each modification. So far as been failing with memory installed on slot1 and slot3. The error for test are inconsistent, some fail at the get go, some after 3 passes.

I got the computer running MemTest all night with 1.28V, it ran 13 Passes and failed on Pass #10. This is the best Memtest result so far, will continue to bump up .02 volt for each time and report results. What is the maximum voltage that I should go before damaging anything?

I have the same problem. Gigabyte x48-DS5 with Dominator 2x1GB 1066 kit runs fine, but when I add the extra two(same kit) the computer won't boot, just loop until I turn it off. I try and experience more, I'll let you know the results.

• Corsair Employee
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 or DDR800 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

I just bought my new config. and the same boot loop comes up to me too.

The thing is that I can't even get enter the BIOS with the Corsair memories plugged in. I have to change back to my old modules every time I want to make changes in BIOS.

I raised the DRAM Voltage to 2.100V first and than went step by step up ti 2.400V. it didn't help.

To everyone who has P-45-UD3R: please check the revision number on your motherboard's box. it's written on the sticker, right under the line GA-P45-UD3R

http://www.custompcblog.com/wp-content/uploads/articles/17-gigabyte-motherboard-box.jpg

mine is rev1.0. There's an other newer edition of this motherboard. it's the rev1.1. if you guys have this same issue with rev1.1 I can be fairly sure that it's not because of the different revisions.

so pls tell me what revs you have :)

thanks

Hi all,

I just wanted to sign on to note that I am having very similar issues with my P45 (GA-EP45-UD3P). I have the Corsair TWIN2X4096-8500C5 RAM and will get a reboot loop about half the time I turn on. Another 25% of the time it reboots at the Windows loading screen, then for the final 25% it will open windows, only to lock up or restart instantly later.

I have all BIOS settings at default except for DIMM Voltage (2.1) and SPD multiplier (2.40B, to lower it to 800, which runs slightly more steadily).

I have rev 1.1, BIOS F8, also in Single Channel mode. Dual channel nearly never works (though it does pass memtest).

Can anyone help to flash my bios ?

I have the new bios downloaded, and I have a sata hdd. should I format the HDD and copy the three files onto it and boot from it, or how ?

Why would you need to format your HDD to flash your BIOS? I'd contact Gigabyte for the proper steps on how to flash your BIOS.

Can anyone help to flash my bios ?

I have the new bios downloaded, and I have a sata hdd. should I format the HDD and copy the three files onto it and boot from it, or how ?

Copy the files to a floppy disk, USB drive, or your SATA HD. I assume this is a spare SATA HD? Read section 4-2 in the manual. I suggest Q-Flash. It's easy and you should NEVER flash the BIOS from Windows.

http://europe.giga-byte.com/FileList/Manual/motherboard_manual_ga-ep45-ud3®_e.pdf

Copy the files to a floppy disk, USB drive, or your SATA HD. I assume this is a spare SATA HD? Read section 4-2 in the manual. I suggest Q-Flash. It's easy and you should NEVER flash the BIOS from Windows.

http://europe.giga-byte.com/FileList/Manual/motherboard_manual_ga-ep45-ud3®_e.pdf

thanks, I have the manual, and have read the Q-Flash part.

however not long ago some guys from an other forum advised me to do it from pendrive, or windows but do not from HDD.

don't know why though...

so I was just about to do it with @BIOS. gigabyte's own updater.

The drive does not matter as long as QFlash can read from it. A USB flash drive is easiest and, QFlash is DOS based. It will simply read the file from whatever drive you direct QFlash to look at and execute the flash.

My personal rule is to NEVER flash from Windows when I have a choice. I have done it in the past succesfully when in a pinch. But, the only failed BIOS flash I have ever had was an OS based flash utility (ASUS UPDATE).

The drive does not matter as long as QFlash can read from it. A USB flash drive is easiest and, QFlash is DOS based. It will simply read the file from whatever drive you direct QFlash to look at and execute the flash.

My personal rule is to NEVER flash from Windows when I have a choice. I have done it in the past succesfully when in a pinch. But, the only failed BIOS flash I have ever had was an OS based flash utility (ASUS UPDATE).

thanks I did it with HDD now, and did it from windows too, just to see which one screws it up. I'm on the stage that I don't care anymore :laughing:

both worked in the end.

now just have to change the RAMs and see if it helped at all.

ok, it seem it works (BIOS F9).

I set DRAM Voltage to 2.1, and SPD to 2.40 with a different older ram (with the corsairs in I was not able to enter the BIOS even)

don't know which one did the magic, >>the Bios update + DRAM Voltage 2.1<< or the >>SPD at 2.40<< or all three together..

let's do a memtest, and some other stuff and see if it really works.

anyway, thanks for all the help guys :)

Did more tests for the past 10 days? Install the two 2gb stick in slot 1 and slot 3 of other machine, failed the memtest couple times.

Per someone's suggestion, went back to my original machine, ran MemTest on slot 2 and slot 4, went through 12 passes, no problem, nothing fail.

For the mean time, I am going to leave it in this configuration and suggest others to memtest on slot 2 and slot 4, then report back results.

Mr Ram Guy, do you think it is memory issue. Should I go through the RMA process.

• 3 weeks later...
Make sure you have the most recent BIOS flashed. Then, clear your CMOS and set the RAM timings and voltage again manually. If this is still not stable try increasing your memory controller (MCH or North Bridge) voltage 1-3 steps above the stock setting.

I too have the same issue. GA-EP45-UD3R running 2 - TWIN2X4096-8500C5D.

Pardon me for my ignorance but are you referring to the MCH CORE, MCH Reference, or MCH/DRAM Reference above?

Running the system with memory in slot 2 and slot 4 (see post# 22), have been stabled for couple weeks, and things start acting up again. Got BSOD and boot loop in Vista two days ago, ran MEMTEST and immediately fail on Pass #2.

Did more research from the web, and found out this Gigabyte board is really a pain in the butt to config with PC2 -8500 memory. I have tried to lower the speed from 1066 to 800 in BIOS setttings but still failed miserably.

With Newegg memory sale today, purchased some other company ram but they are PC2-6400. Obviously it would be in-appropriate to mention the other company name here.

Archived