Corsair Community

Hello everyone,

I am having trouble with my computer. It only boots up when I reset the CMOS (sometimes even multiple times) or when I move my power cable slightly and then plug it back in. Sometimes, the computer boots up right after I press the power button.

My PSU is Corsair AX850, my motherboard is Asus Maximus V Formula. I have tried multiple things:

- replacing the CMOS battery and power cable

- booting with one RAM stick

- booting without the GPU being connected

- booting without the HDD/DVD drive/any other devices including the keyboard and mouse

- updating the BIOS

- putting away the wireless card on the motherboard (shorting issue)

I have also tried the paper clip test of the PSU without it being under any load and the PSU fan started spinning for about a second, so I guess it passed? I am not sure if the problem could be the motherboard or the PSU. I am about to RMA one of them or maybe both? :confused:

I would be very grateful for any of your suggestions, thank you.

• Corsair Employee
You've basically described the problems I've had and it turns out it was my PSU. (Only after buying a new motherboard did I realise that...)

But, in his case, it could still be the motherboard.

I would like to add that the PSU fan didn't start spinning immediately as I turned the unit on. It started spinning for about a second or two when I turned it off.

I guess it is the fact that the fan starts spinning when the PSU is under a certain amount of load/reaches certain temperature?

• Corsair Employee
I would like to add that the PSU fan didn't start spinning immediately as I turned the unit on. It started spinning for about a second or two when I turned it off.

I guess it is the fact that the fan starts spinning when the PSU is under a certain amount of load/reaches certain temperature?

Because the fan has a fanless mode, it doesn't spin unless temperatures are rather high. It only spins initially to calibrate the fan controller.

Archived