Corsair Community

Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R unstable with TW3X4G1333C9A

Guyzie

Hello all.

I've been having big problems trying to get my newly built PC not to lock up or crash after more than about 10 minutes. I think the problem is memory but would welcome any advice.

I have 2 modules of CM3X2G1333C9 (4GB in total) which come as a twin pack, part number TW3X4G1333C9A. Module 2 passes memtest no problem. Module 1 gives errors if you run memtest straight after installing it. If you reboot the PC after installing and then run memtest it gives no errors.

So I tried with module 2 only since it passed memtest. With default bios settings the PC freezes within 2 minutes. I increased the DRAM voltage to 1.64 (the max on my motherboard) and it runs OK except if you stream video. If I watch premier league football through iinet it will freeze after 5 minutes.

I have experimented with combinations of either and both memory modules and the only way the PC is stable with both modules installed is with memory voltage set to 1.64, Performance Enhance set to standard and the memory frequency dialled down to 1066 MHz. If I put it back to 1333MHz I am back with the streaming video freezing problem again.

I would be happy to have the memory replaced but I dont understand why new modules would work - especially since the computer still fails with module 2 only installed unless the frequency is 1066 - and module 2 passed all memtests.

I am all out of ideas - please help if you can.

Almost the same setup and problems for me: TW3X4G1333C9A in a Gigabyte P55 UD3 with a Core i5.

The system runs 100% stable if I underclock the RAM to 1066MHz at 1.5V. At 1333MHz, it is wholly unstable at 1.5V (can't install OS, can't reliably boot to Ubuntu CD). If I overvolt to 1.6V, it is only basically stable (system runs ok, with occasional freezes in games), but I've been reticent to go higher, and haven't tested it too much like that.

Behaviour is the same with either memory module alone, and if both are in together. And I have no idea whether it's the memory or the motherboard, or the combination of the two.

One other thing: the motherboard doesn't detect that it's XMS: no BIOS option shows up to configure it as such.

Its spooky how close your PC specs are to my own. It looks like the same issue - have you tested your modules on memtest?

Not sure where to go next with this. Any ideas anyone? No point in buying 1333MHz memory only to have to run it at 1066MHz to get a stable PC.

Yeah, XMP :)

I ran both modules through on memtest last week at 1333MHz and they passed error free, but I still couldn't install either Ubuntu or Windows7, so I figured then that any problems had nothing to do with memory.

The computer's running stable with memory set to 1333MHz@1.64V. I'll put it to memtest this evening.

I was also updating to windows 7 and then my computer freeze randomly. I have a gigabyte P55-UD3R with 2 * 2GB crosair DDR3 modules ( TW3X4G1333C9A )

The only stable configuration is when I set in the bios the ram frequenzy to 1066mh and the voltage to 1.5V !

Now I am a little disappointed because I have 1333mhz ram but I can only use it by setting it in the bios to 1066mhz. Will there be a fix for this from microsoft or from crosair for this?

RAMGUY: I don't think that running the memory at 1333MHz is an overclock for the i5. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_i5_microprocessors. In Windows7, I get system freezes perhaps once every 10 hours of activity or so with the RAM @1333MHz, so have been running at 1066MHz.

Seems to be a few people here with almost exactly the same hardware (P55 UD3/UD3R + TW3X4G1333C9A ), and the same problems with stability at 1333MHz. No idea if it's a problem with the MB (perhaps), the memory (unlikely in my opinion), or an awkward combination of the two (my guess). If there are other posters out there with similar setups, could they post if they've been running ok?

I'm paying attention to this forum, and keeping the MB BIOS up to date, hoping that the issues will disappear.

I was also updating to windows 7 and then my computer freeze randomly. I have a gigabyte P55-UD3R with 2 * 2GB crosair DDR3 modules ( TW3X4G1333C9A )

The only stable configuration is when I set in the bios the ram frequenzy to 1066mh and the voltage to 1.5V !

Now I am a little disappointed because I have 1333mhz ram but I can only use it by setting it in the bios to 1066mhz. Will there be a fix for this from microsoft or from crosair for this?

Try 1333 at 1.6v.

Try 1333 at 1.6v.

I have tried setting it up but I can't change the voltage of the ram, it just writen down but I can't change it. The only thing I can change is de DRAM ( link 3) voltage, but when I set this at 1.6V then when entering the bios again and starting up the computer, I get a message of overclocking.

I tried to set it at 1333mhz and 1.6V ( the DRAM ) and then my machine freezes again. The only thing that works is when I set the System Memory Multiplier to 8.0 (link 1) !

10.0 or auto ( 1333mhz with 1.5V ) is freezing randomly. (link 2 )

Maybe someone can say me how I can change the voltage of the ram. Here are several screen for better understanding :

LINK 1 http://axonet.be/fora/2009-11-18 00.17.54.jpg

LINK 2 http://axonet.be/fora/2009-11-18 00.18.11.jpg

LINK 3 http://axonet.be/fora/2009-11-18 00.18.34.jpg

I also have problems with this module on my Gigabyte GA-p55-UD4 motherboard.

Here is what I have submitted to the Corsair Techsupport Express.

I got my new system set up yesterday. On the first boot i didn't get picture on the screen, and a series of short beeps from the motherboard (20-30 beeps in a row).

With just the motherboard, ram and videocard connected the system didn't even go into the bios.

Tried to remove one of the ram modules and i got acces to the bios.

When I again tried both ram modules in bay 1 and 3 on the motherboard, i was able to get into the bios but didn't see more than 2gb ram (one module only).

So with the conclusion of one DOA ram module i continued to install Windows Vista.

When i got to the vista performance check i've gotten several bluescreens that seems to relate to memory problems:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA BSOD

PFN_LIST_CORRUPT

MEMORY_MANAGEMENT

In some attempts i have been able to start windows, have then not been able to update to sp1 on clean installation and even in safe mode when i'm copying files i get a generic blue screen and a memorydump of files. In some cases I have gotten a screen with artifacts (a one coloured grid) and the pc then reboots.

I have written to the dealer from whom i bought the modules and i'm waiting for a reply.

I have not been able to run memtest as i haven't made a dos boot disk, have just used my windows installation cd, and i cannot boot with one of the modules connected.

I haven't tried to change the settings in the BIOS cause I cannot boot with both modules connected (or just the faulty one). I can try to adjust the ram settings down to see if i'm able to install Vista properly, but I still got one bad module.

These modules are made for the core i5/i7 cpu's system but it would seem that there are problems with Gigabyte motherboards using the Intel P55 chipset from what i gather from this forum thread.

Are there more of you with the same impression?

K.

At the request of RAMGUY and Yellowbeard I've been doing some more testing using individual modules at different frequencies and voltages. I've used Memtest and Prime95 using something called the Torture test - No idea what it does but it runs all 4 cores at 100%. The results are:

At 1066MHz and DRAM set to 1.5v the PC is rock solid using module 1 or 2 or both. Everything passes memtest and the prime95 test.

At 1066MHz and DRAM set to 1.64v I get the same result (no surprise!)

At 1333MHz and DRAM set to 1.5v, module 1 (alone) and module 2 (alone) and modules 1 & 2 (together) pass memtest. The PC however either fails to boot, gives me the BSOD or freezes using one or the other or both memory modules.

At 1333MHz and DRAM set to 1.64v every combinaton passes memtest but again the PC is unstable. Better than if DRAM is set to 1.5v but still unstable - using one or the other or both memory modules.

The bottom line is that each memory module is passing memtest but as soon as I try to run it at 1333MHz the PC is unstable. This is not a single memory module problem. I agree with fireface, there seems to be an incompatability problem here. I could RMA the memory but what is the point, the memory I have is already passing memtest.

If anyone has this combination of MB and memory working please post. Otherwise RAMGUY, what next?

Dries: To change the voltage, I just go to the DRAM setting and change it from Auto to 1.64v (which I think is the max for this MB). If your PC is freezeing with this setting at 1333MHz then I think you have the same issue as the others.

I got a message from Gigabyte support today.

They told me to update to the latest bios (F3) and that generic 1333 Mhz CL8 1.5V memory modules work well on P55 chipsets.

If you run the ram at 1066Mhz it needs less voltage to run. They wrote that I could adjust the CAS from CL8 to CL7 @1066Mhz so that the ram would run at same speed as 1333/CL8.

Further they wouldn't recomend extreme editions ram for the P55 motherboards, since the ramcontroller is within the cpu. Faster ram with higher voltage tend to overheat the cpu during full load. They recommend lowvoltage ram with standard timings to keep the cpu cold.

So, with that I will try to adjust my remaining ram module to see if I get a stable system before I insert my two replacement modules (of the same model).

Hope this will help you others too! :)

K.

Edit:

Adjusted the multiplier, got 1066Mhz, 1.5V and adjusted CAS to CL7.

Formatted hdd and started installing Vista. At the end of the file copying process I got another bluescreen. So the settings didn't work.

During this weekend I will get my hands on another GA-P55-UD4 motherboard and some other value ram 2x2gb pc 10600 1333mhz.

With these I should be able to determine if the UD4 motherboard is uncompatible with the Corsair XMS ram.

decrypter I have exactly the same setup and I'm already running F3 bios yet still have hanging issues.

I have not changed any memory settings yet but i have tried changing the CPU core settings - the system seems to be stable with anything up to 3 cores, the moment i switch on the 4th core the issues all come back.

I'm about to turn all 4 cores back on and play around with the memory setup and see what happens.

I'll keep you posted.

Update.

I re-enabled all CPU cores and restored optimal configuration.

• Reducing RAM speed to 1066MHz by reducing the multiplier to 8.0 appears to have resolved the hanging issues. Prime95 ran for 1hr with no issues.

• Restoring RAM speed to 1333MHz by setting the multiplier to 10.0 and increasing to voltage to 1.64v (previously at 1.5v) also appears to have resolved the hanging issues. Prime95 ran for 1hr with no issues.
    **This is the first time I have been able to run Win 7 x64 with all 4 cores enabled for > 15mins without the system hanging**

I will leave Prime95 running overnight at 1333MHz/1.64v to confirm all is well and post an update tomorrow.

decrypter I have exactly the same setup and I'm already running F3 bios yet still have hanging issues.

system core i5

gigabyte p55 ud3r

4 gb corsair CMX4GX3M2A11600C9 2X2GB

bios version F3

I have not changed any memory settings yet but i have tried changing the CPU core settings - the system seems to be stable with anything up to 3 cores, the moment i switch on the 4th core the issues all come back.

I'm about to turn all 4 cores back on and play around with the memory setup and see what happens.

I'll keep you posted.

thanx hope you find a fix as you have exact same pc as me :)

Archived