Corsair Community

Process of elimination brings me to here.. bad hx1000w???? Please help

twistedfed

History:

NO Problems. Everything ran great. All game titles ran great for hours on end.

HX1000W developed very bad noise, went through troubleshooting with Corsair who issued RMA and sent new PSU. Changed MB's at same time.

Currently:

For the last 4 months or so... sense receiving and installing the new Corsair 1000 watt modular PSU and motheboard from EVGA. System runs fine... but video will go black, and system will reboot whenever 3d heavy titles are run. Furmark, will cause system reboot usually immediately but sometimes will run for a few seconds. Some DX9 titles will run for a short while but within minutes will reboot. DX11 titles reboot almost immediately. This pattern has continued for months as I've scraped together money to replace this part and that part. Here is my troubleshooting and part replacement to date.

Attempted Resolutions:

Reset BIOS to default several times

1. Tried latest BIOS, rolled back a revision, rolled back another revision, problem exists with all 3 of the latest BIOS with setup defaults.

2. Confident there was no way my new Corsair PSU could be at fault (I mean I'd never heard of one failing) I first replaced my GPU which I suspected was the problem. Upgraded from GTX580 to GTX680. System played 3d titles fine for about a day and then problem started again.

3. Thought maybe I had a short or bad Motherboard. Unmounted Motherboard and placed on open air bench case; Problem persisted.

4. Went through troubleshooting with EVGA who RMA'ed board and shipped me another. However had smae problem with new board.

5. Took my 680 over to friends house who played a 10 hour marathon session on it in his AMD based system w/o problem.

6. Ordered new RAM - got rid of the Patriot Viper 2 thinking maybe a ram issue and replaced with Corsair tripple channel kit. Problem persists.

7. Temperatures are monitored with Core Temp and Speed Fan and stay nice and cool especially since I haven't overclocked since this problem began.

8. Re-installed OS countless times, fresh installs of DX and patches

9. Memtest completes w/o error

Sometimes moving the graphics card into another PCI-E slot will resolve the problem for a few minutes and allow me 10 maybe even 15 mintues of game time before system goes black, (Sometimes all the fans in the entire computer go to max RPM when this happens and everything is very loud) It stays this way for a bit then reboots. I thought perhaps some sort of heat issue.

So far I've refused to consider that the PSU I received as part of my RMA which arrived new in the box with the shrink rap on it is to blame. Yet I've replaced nearly everything in the system and have tried dozens of configurations with various levels of short-term intermittent success.

I simply cant afford to shell out the $200 or so needed to prove its the PSU but prior to receiving the new PSU from Corsair and installing the new MB - I never once had any sort of issue. I've had nothing but 4 months of beating my head against the wall, keeping my wife up late, frustration as i've tried to isolate and re-mediate the issue. Now having found these message boards and read some of the things experienced by others I'm of the mind and realization that on occasion even new Corsair products can be defective.

Thoughts? Comments? Suggestions? I'm not currently using the LCS in my case as everything is on the test bench now.

Please Help...

Corsair HX1000W

EVGA X58 SLI Classified w/ i7 980X

GTX 680 FTW+

24GB Corsair Vengeance tipple channel kit

Samsung 256GB SSD

2xWD Velociraptors Raid 1

(1) 2TB WDC Green Edition

(1) 1.5TB Seagate Baracuda

2 or 3 external hard disks / thumb drives

Dell U2711 & Dell U3011

Thermaltake SwordM LCS

Sometimes moving the graphics card into another PCI-E slot will resolve the problem for a few minutes and allow me 10 maybe even 15 mintues of game time before system goes black, (Sometimes all the fans in the entire computer go to max RPM when this happens and everything is very loud) It stays this way for a bit then reboots. I thought perhaps some sort of heat issue.

It sounds like some issue with the GPU to me also. Really it sounds more like the MB has some sort of problem with the PCIe slots.

But can you see what the voltages are being reported in the BIOS for the PSU?

I simply cant afford to shell out the $200 or so needed to prove its the PSU but prior to receiving the new PSU from Corsair

Since you were able to let a friend test the GPU in his system, would he be willing to let you use his PSU to test your system?

Have you bench tested the PSu using the paperclip method to start it and see if it runs okay all by itself?

I figured that installing my grafx card into my buddies pc and him going for 10 hours on it was a good test of the grafix card, also worth mentioning is that when this problem started 4 months ago I had a GTX580 installed. That card never broke 60C because any invocation involving the video card that puts strain on the system causes it to reboot or go blank before it can really heat up. I replaced it anyway thinking it ws the grafics card and began experiencing the same problem with the new card almost immediately. Replaced the 580 with a 680. I also received a new motherboard today an Asus Rampage II Extreme w/ NB, SB, Mosfet, Waterblocks. haven't yet had a chance to install it might not have time till the weekend. Friend of mine is ordering a corsair hx850 from newegg tomorrow for a new build he's working on. I'm going to see if we can trade out power supplies for a day when it arrives next week. I was reading through the posts here and there was a fellow who experienced very similar issues as I am in 2009 and at least in his case it turned out to be faulty PSU.

I also suspect the likelihood of a bad MB, even though the MB was factory refurbished 4 mo.'s ago and received as a replacement for a board I RMA

ed. Once I replace the Motherboard this weekend I will have replaced every single component (including the case) in my attempt to resolve this issue except the PSU. I have tried the paperclip method and the PSU delivers power seemingly appropriately. Is there a way I can test the performance of the PSU under a heavy load?

One of the unique symptoms that stands out to me is how the Power Siupply, video card, case fans, all spin to max rpm on occassion when the screen goes blank and the system reboots about a minute later. Also of interest is that the yellow light on the mb that indicates data being written or read from the disk stays solid yellow regardless of what is going on as this happens.

Thanks for hte ideas, keep em coming and I'll keep you posted.

Hi twistedfed

Seem to me that your VGA is overheating

Download EVGA precision X application to change fan curve speed to run 100% at 60 Celsius

Hope this help

Sincerly yours

One of the unique symptoms that stands out to me is how the Power Siupply, video card, case fans, all spin to max rpm on occassion when the screen goes blank and the system reboots about a minute later. Also of interest is that the yellow light on the mb that indicates data being written or read from the disk stays solid yellow regardless of what is going on as this happens.

That sounds alot like the 3.3v rail is dipping too low. Without testing with another PSu it would be hard to tell though.

At any rate you always have the option to RMA your PSU. I do agree it does sound more and more that would likely be the culprit.

If you would like to RMA the PSU , just use the link on the left to get the ball rolling!

Archived