Corsair Community

H50 leaking

My H50 unit I purchased along with my last PC in March 2010 has leaked. Couple days ago I noticed my computer being considerably slower and unresponsive and as I am quite experienced with computers I knew something must be wrong on a hardware level since I try and maintain my system in top state software-wise all the time - I am doing full-time job on it. Still, i ran various tests to make sure and all was going well until i started a system stress test (prime95) along with Realtemp logging temp readings. First thing that struck me was Realtemp core readings were around 10C higher than what I got used to a year ago when I last did stress tests, but I blamed that on the hot weather in the last few days (around 30-35C daytime). So, I started the test and in around 7-8 mins running prime95 my PC switched off suddenly, no BSOD or other errors. I tried switching it back on again but to no avail. Then I opened the case's side door and to my disgust I saw a big white drop hanging off the edge of my H50's bracket. Another couple have already spilled on top of my GPU after leakeing along the Northbridge heatsink. I immediately removed the GPU and cleaned it with a cloth and some q-tips. Then I removed the H50 unit off the bracket and cleaned the residue along the processor (thank god nothing got under the bracket!). At first, when I saw the white drop hanging off the bracket, I thought it might be excessive amount of thermal paste might have been applied by the technicians in the store as I got the computer already assembled at store. I was cursing them while taking off the pump unit off the bracket but then when I turned the unit around I saw it had nothing to do with thermal compound - the leak was coming from the unit itself. It looked like the white liquid was coming from inbetween the screws along the rim of the unit or under the edge of the metal plate. Now, I know every sensible person would have gone for RMA immediately, but although I am based in Europe, I live in Bulgaria and I highly doubt there is a Corsair representative here I can send the unit to. Also, in the rush to save my components I cleaned the stains off the GPU and around the CPU and only the trail on the Northbridge heatsink is still there, so taking pictures afterwards was not an option for me anymore unfortunately. So, being brave or just plain stupid, I cleaned the components and put everything back on, reseating the H50 only putting a thin paper rim i cut to stay on top of where the screws are while not forgetting to change the thermal compound. The system started and I have been using it for the last 2 days. Fan readings say the pump is working normal but my cores are still hot at 45-50C at idle. Under stress it seems the unit is still coping as I get to high 60s - early 70s in short stress test. Still, I am quite worried. I am really sorry for the incredibly long post but I wanted to mention everything so you can keep up with me in the chronology of events. Please advise me on my options.

Many thanks,

Peter

It has been a week since I applied for RMA but no response from Tech yet. I used both normal RMA application and the RAM GUY help option by quoting the post number. The first one has not been responded to, whereas the second one forwards me to fill an application for a faulty RAM unit. Not impressed. My full-time job really depends on this PC and Corsair is going to make me buy a new cooling just because they cannot be bothered.

Archived