Corsair Community

AP/SP Corsair Fans with Corsair Link/ H-Series coolers!

randolla

I think it should be noted that at this time only Corsair fans will work properly with the H series coolers when they are connected to the H hub and controlled by the Link. (see my other post and RamGuy's response) Any other manufacturers fans would need to be connected to a cooling node to be controlled properly. This could add another $50 to the cost of the Link depending on how many case fans you have and if you want the Link to control them.

I am unsure if the Corsair Air Series fans can be controlled by the Link when they are connected to the H100 hub. I am waiting for that answer as well.

You can use the H100 and it will work great with Corsair Link. However, the C70 case may have issues depending on the MB you use. It may be a tight fit with that case an H80 may be a better choice.

My question was if the Air Series fans can be controlled by Link and the H100 or if they simply run in full speed all the time.

I don't think the H100 fan controller can be customised via the Link software. May come in future updates not 100% sure.

My understanding is that if you have the Corsair fans that came with the H100, they could be fully controlled by the Link when they are connected to the H100 hub. Maybe I will experiment a little with them when I get a moment.

We are waiting to get clarification from RamGuy on this. We also need to know if the Corsair AF/SP fans can be controlled when hooked up the same way.

We really could use some guidance from RamGuy on this.

My understanding is that if you have the Corsair fans that came with the H100, they could be fully controlled by the Link when they are connected to the H100 hub. Maybe I will experiment a little with them when I get a moment.

We are waiting to get clarification from RamGuy on this. We also need to know if the Corsair AF/SP fans can be controlled when hooked up the same way.

We really could use some guidance from RamGuy on this.

From what I've gathered the boxed fans CAN be controlled by the H100 while the Air Series can not.

Source: http://www.amazon.com/review/R2KM1M0V6SF08A/ref=cm_cr_dp_title?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B007RESFR2&nodeID=541966&store=pc

• Corsair Employee

randolla,

I though we went over this on another thread.

But to be clear; our SP/AP Fans will work fine with our Corsair Link Fan controller; they may not work with our H-Series coolers, we would suggest using the fans made for our H series coolers for best compatibility.

We are working on the next release of firmware and software for our corsair Link which looks to fix a lot of the issues that have been reported. And I am sorry I cant say more than that at this time but as soon as it is available I will let you all know.

randolla,

I though we went over this on another thread.

But to be clear; our SP/AP Fans will work fine with our Corsair Link Fan controller; they may not work with our H-Series coolers, we would suggest using the fans made for our H series coolers for best compatibility.

We are working on the next release of firmware and software for our corsair Link which looks to fix a lot of the issues that have been reported. And I am sorry I cant say more than that at this time but as soon as it is available I will let you all know.

Thank you for that clarification. Here is the thread that I think you are thinking about.

"Just for the record RamGuy, will these fans be able to be controlled by the Link commander when they are connected to the H100 hub? I have read some of the forums and I saw a statement that they will only run at 100% RPMs. I think I might be misunderstanding something so I would like some clarification before I decide if I want to replace my GT AR 15s with the Corsair SP120s.

Will the Link be able to properly control (adjust the RPMs up or down depending on CPU temp.) the Corsair SP120 fans when they are connected to the H100 hub?

http://www.corsair.com/us/cpu-coolin...ries-fans.html "

So I am back to the same point. If I want ANY fan other than the ones that come with the H series coolers to work with the Link, I have to buy another Node. The only fans that will work properly when they are plugged into an H series hub, are the fans that come with the cooler. Both my GT AP- 15s or Corsair's own SP/AF 120s will only be able to be controlled fully when they are plugged into the Node and will not work correctly when they are plugged into the H series hub.

This is really important to know. I bought the Link to primarly control my H 100 fans. Since I have 4 of them, they would take up almost a node by themselves. So to do this, one should plan on buying an additional Node.

I did some experimenting and found that my GT AP-15s will range from 900+- RPMS to 1900+- when they are plugged into a Node. They will only range from about 1500+- RPMs to 1900+- when the are connected to the H100 hub. So there is some improvement connecting them to a Node. But a Node is still $50 delivered. That is pretty pricey on top of $110 for the Link. (cooling kit)

I hope some of this can be addressed in the next updates. Thank you for the clarification RamGuy

• Corsair Employee
They will need to be connected to Corsair Link fan controller. At this time with the current Firmware on our H-Series coolers; third party fans are hit and miss the only fans we can guarantee will work with our coolers are the fans that come with the unit.

Ram Guy, I know you guys are working on this, but I think it would be better for everyone, yourselves included, if some form of compatibility list was drawn up.

From my own point of view, I was surprised at the troubles regarding various different fans and their control or lack of. I assumed the Link would control any fans, purely as I saw it as a fan controller and with my limited experience I assumed they would all work the same. From various explanations and threads I have learnt that it is not as simple as that (through no fault of Corsair's), however as it is currently a limitation to the product maybe it should be made known?

It could always be worded positively, i.e list the fans that do work with no issues. The ones that have been tested successfully and have led to improvements in the current beta software and the upcoming new software that has been referred to many times.

I am sure there is somebody at Corsair well versed enough in legalese who can word it in such a manner that it is not binding so nobody can sue if Brand X fan does not work properly, but just a guide for prospective customers would surely prevent many problems?

As the Link seems to only be available from Corsair directly, this is the place the vast majority of people will come to research before a possible purchase and at the moment I doubt the forum is very encouraging for people on the fence about making the purchase.

I find it odd that the current solution for non-stock fans on the H100 fans is to control them via the node and not the H100 itself, as I thought that was kind of the point of the H100/80 having Link capability? Otherwise all the Link connection does now is provide a static Pump RPM speed and light up the little Man-type symbol on the pump assembly.

I understand you will not want to answer this next question directly, and I completely understand why, but are you able to give us a ballpark release date on the new software? Are we looking at a few days, weeks or months?

I am not trying to cause any dramas or make anyone look bad, I am just another customer looking for clarity. I appreciate that you guys do check this forum as I am aware that it is not the normal practice for a lot of companies, so please don't think I am railing on you.

Thanks!

p.s OT (sorry!) While you are (hopefully) reading this, do you know when or if extra LED strips will ever become available to buy separately (as in without the Lighting node)? I did ask in a previous thread but no answer was forthcoming. Thanks! :biggrin:

For the compatibility list: 120x120x25mm be quiet! Shadow Wings SW1PWM

I have them connected to the H100 and they work fine. Full control over the Link software(350 to 1500 RPM by temperature).

That's great to know Hellseeker. Thank you.

Anybody else?

• 4 weeks later...

This is really important to know. I bought the Link to primarly control my H 100 fans. Since I have 4 of them, they would take up almost a node by themselves. So to do this, one should plan on buying an additional Node.

not to be a smart butt, since they are the same fan why not put the same fans on a splitter

and slip the splitter into the Link node? why would you want to individually control 4-fans

of a push/pull? the H-controller does the same, but not as detailed as the Link node will.

so that leaves 4 node openings for other contol areas. and since you'll be under-volting

them anyway the amp can easily control them and more-so at WOT.

just a thought to examine.

airdeano

I find it odd that the current solution for non-stock fans on the H100 fans is to control them via the node and not the H100 itself, as I thought that was kind of the point of the H100/80 having Link capability? Otherwise all the Link connection does now is provide a static Pump RPM speed and light up the little Man-type symbol on the pump assembly.

the h80 does a 3 profile change and opening of the case is required in order to change these settings

and comes the link commander that uses software and changes the 3 profiles into increments rather than 3 preset ones,link also controls case fans,monitors cpu,gpu,memory and has separate thermal probes for custom tailoring,link also monitors your hard drive temps and can also control a lighting scheme all of which i suspect you already know, which would make your above point quite inaccurate

which is ok by all means,,,unless a newbie happens to stumble on this and think the link has no potential.

I did end up getting a new node for my H100 fans. I now have a 1000 RPM spread on my H100 fans ( GT- AP-15s) that I can control. (850-1850 RPM) I have all 4 of them set to the same custom control set up. It seems to work OK and I can tell that all 4 fans are working. I would be hesitant to connect all 4 to a splitter since one or more could fail and it would be hard to tell until my CPU shut down. I know the chances of that happening are slim, but better safe than sorry.

i agree with your assessment randolla plus the same fans seem to need a little more tweaking than another to achieve the same rpm

of course in the end its all in what a person really cares for that matters

not to mention if a fan thats tied together goes bad,what would it do to the others thats wired to it?

I did end up getting a new node for my H100 fans. I now have a 1000 RPM spread on my H100 fans ( GT- AP-15s) that I can control. (850-1850 RPM) I have all 4 of them set to the same custom control set up. It seems to work OK and I can tell that all 4 fans are working. I would be hesitant to connect all 4 to a splitter since one or more could fail and it would be hard to tell until my CPU shut down. I know the chances of that happening are slim, but better safe than sorry.

I'am looking to either grabing 6x GT AP-15 or might wait around till they get the PWM version out if they ever do. I do wanna ask though if they worked fine for you before and during this time. (AP-15s 3-pin) Did you have issues with those before? and what node did you RMA? Sorry for all the questions but curious to see where is most of our issues coming from. I myself might be RMAing this week or next. Just want to see what is the root of most of everyones problems so I know I don't have to dismantle my whole Link setup (which I would REALLY dislike lol) and only RMA the cooling node as I noticed alot of people are having issues with that (Bricked) or Link software related. Btw, when my link was working decently I had and still have 6 fans on 1 channel on the cooling node... even though my unit is bricked my fans are still powered at max speed along with my pumps but can't see anything software related to it other than the commander's node features. (did the math on what the node can handle and how much power my fans pull) I'am using a bunch of splinters with only one fan's PWM going to the cooling node for accurate calculations ;) so I know the cooling node can handle multiple fans on one channel as long as it doesnt go over 2 amps per channel or 4 as a whole if I recall correctly and please correct me if I'am wrong.

I'am looking to either grabing 6x GT AP-15 or might wait around till they get the PWM version out if they ever do. I do wanna ask though if they worked fine for you before and during this time. (AP-15s 3-pin) Did you have issues with those before? and what node did you RMA? Sorry for all the questions but curious to see where is most of our issues coming from. I myself might be RMAing this week or next. Just want to see what is the root of most of everyones problems so I know I don't have to dismantle my whole Link setup (which I would REALLY dislike lol) and only RMA the cooling node as I noticed alot of people are having issues with that (Bricked) or Link software related. Btw, when my link was working decently I had and still have 6 fans on 1 channel on the cooling node... even though my unit is bricked my fans are still powered at max speed along with my pumps but can't see anything software related to it other than the commander's node features. (did the math on what the node can handle and how much power my fans pull) I'am using a bunch of splinters with only one fan's PWM going to the cooling node for accurate calculations ;) so I know the cooling node can handle multiple fans on one channel as long as it doesnt go over 2 amps per channel or 4 as a whole if I recall correctly and please correct me if I'am wrong.

Jack,

I have my fans plugged into a COOLING Node that I ordered last week from Corsair. It is the third one that I have in my system. I have never had to RMA any of them and I am running the latest software and firmware (1.2.5 for the node) To clarify, I am running the 1.2.7 Beta software that can be found at the top of the sticky section in the Link forums.

I originally had my 4 GT AP-15s (for my H 100) plugged into the H100 hub. That gave me only a 500 RPM spread of control. (1350-1850 RPMs) I wanted more control so with some experimentation and some help from the forums, I decided the best route was to get another node and plug my H100 fans into it. That is what I did and it seems to be working OK. I started out with 4 GT AP-29s figuring that I would have a greater range (up tp 2900 RPMs) but I was only getting a 1000 RPM spread and they were over kill for my system so I replaced them with the GT AP-15s.

It is a bit disappointing though that I had to do that. I Have $208 invested in the Link now and I think that is a bit pricey for a fan controller. It is working well now. The Corsair fans that I have attached to it work really well. It is just my third party fans may not be controlled as well as they should be. (or so I think) I have 14 fans (inc the 4 for the H100) and not all of them need to be controlled by the Link in relationship to temps rising and falling so they are working fine. Some of them I just run full RPM like the two bottom intake fans. (I have a Corsair 800D case)

All in all it seems to be working OK now. If Corsair could make some LED fans that would be great. If I had a solid side instead of a window on my case I probably would go with all Corsair fans. But what really needs to be looked into are the fans that work with the H100. Many of us have a H100 and want a bit more out of it which is why we change out the fans. I find it a bit surprising that Corsairs own Air Series fans will not work well with the H100. It took a bit of digging to even find that out. A fan compatibility list will surely go a long way but I think Corsair is trying to get the software and firmware working correctly before they go that route. Only a guess.

Sorry for the long winded response. I hope I helped. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Archived