Corsair Community

9 120mm LL fans with NZXT x73 Kraken help needed

xximikeixx

First time posting, rookie builder. I need help setting up a nine fan configuration for my new case.

I am confused as to what to buy.

I want 9 RGB LL 120 fans total.

3 of them on the NZXT x73 radiatior cooler exhausting mounted up top. The other 6 fans on the side and bottom for intake.

Case being used is the Lian-Li 011 Dynamic. Motherboard being used is MSI MPG x570 Gaming Edge Wifi

I want to be able to control the RGB on all fans through iCUE. Is this possible? if so please help!

Thank you so much!

This is essentially the very same setup that Im trying to put together. Same case too.

Kraken X73 w/stock fans PLUS 3x QL120 - push/pull

6x QL120 case fans

Not even exactly sure where to start tbh. I know I need a Commander Pro, possibly 2 plus the Node Cores that come with the 3 packs

Anyways, good luck man. Gonna keep up with this thread to see if I can learn anything from it.

This is essentially the very same setup that Im trying to put together. Same case too.

Kraken X73 w/stock fans PLUS 3x QL120 - push/pull

6x QL120 case fans

Not even exactly sure where to start tbh. I know I need a Commander Pro, possibly 2 plus the Node Cores that come with the 3 packs

Anyways, good luck man. Gonna keep up with this thread to see if I can learn anything from it.

So correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't you only need the commander pros if you want to control the fan speed?

Honestly, you're asking the wrong person. lol

But yeah, as far as I know, the Commander pro gives you control over the PWM fans, plus it has 2 channels for RGB.

So yeah, I would think if you didnt want the PWM control, you could leave that out entirely.

Edited by theorist

This case is fantastic (I own one), but LL fans used in this case have some issues.

Those fans have RGB effects only on the exhaust side, so if used as intake they won’t show RGB directly, but only a reflection.

I have switched from 9 LL fans to 10 QL for that reason, if I knew it before, I’d have picked up QL directly.

Anyway Commander Pro is the core of every Corsair-based configuration, my advice is to grab one in any case. But read carefully the RGB FAQS of this Forum before you decide, as LL and QL 3 packs come with different stuff inside.

Baio

So correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't you only need the commander pros if you want to control the fan speed?

Kinda. Sure, you can control fan speed and monitor temps using the temp sensors.

But the CoPro also supports a full 12 QL fans (6 on each channel). The NoPro doesn't.

Kinda. Sure, you can control fan speed and monitor temps using the temp sensors.

But the CoPro also supports a full 12 QL fans (6 on each channel). The NoPro doesn't.

Ok so assuming I have the 9 fans in my build, if I wanted to control only the lights I would be fine with 2 rgb hubs and a lightning node pro?

Also, if I wanted to control the rpm on 6 of the fans I would need a commander pro?

Since you are using 9 QL, you probably want to use the Lighting Node Core in the multi-pack vs the Lighting Node Pro (which there is no need to buy). The LNP is limited in how many QL fans it can use. Since the multi-pack has been selling for the same price as three single 120s, there is not reason not to get it whether you use the Core hubs or not.

What you likely will want is some kind of powered USB 2 hub. The X73 + Core hubs is three USB 2 internal connections.

Since you are using 9 QL, you probably want to use the Lighting Node Core in the multi-pack vs the Lighting Node Pro (which there is no need to buy). The LNP is limited in how many QL fans it can use. Since the multi-pack has been selling for the same price as three single 120s, there is not reason not to get it whether you use the Core hubs or not.

What you likely will want is some kind of powered USB 2 hub. The X73 + Core hubs is three USB 2 internal connections.

I'm so sorry, again I'm a rookie builder so it's hard to grasp this. So just to get this straight.

1. The X73 will have a core hub with 3 connections that will let me power 3 LL fans.

2. The RGB hub that comes in the 3-pack of LL lights can be used to control the RGB of 6 fans BUT, if I have 2 RGB hubs, can I daisy chain them so the RGB wiring from all 9 fans can be connected to the 2 RGB hubs?

3. If I can do #2, how would I power the RGB hubs?

I'm so sorry, again I'm a rookie builder so it's hard to grasp this. So just to get this straight.

1. The X73 will have a core hub with 3 connections that will let me power 3 LL fans.

For the PWM (fan motor), yeah. Not for RGB.

2. The RGB hub that comes in the 3-pack of LL lights can be used to control the RGB of 6 fans BUT, if I have 2 RGB hubs, can I daisy chain them so the RGB wiring from all 9 fans can be connected to the 2 RGB hubs?

You'd connect the fan hubs to a Lighting Node Pro. You can connect two fans hubs to the LNP. They don't daisy-chain for RGB control. But you can put both fan hubs on the same SATA power cable (not connector, cable) from the PSU. Most PSU cables will have 3-4 SATA connections.

Check out the RGB FAQ linked in my signature. It'll help lots. Read it a couple of times as there's a lot of information there.

For the PWM (fan motor), yeah. Not for RGB.

You'd connect the fan hubs to a Lighting Node Pro. You can connect two fans hubs to the LNP. They don't daisy-chain for RGB control. But you can put both fan hubs on the same SATA power cable (not connector, cable) from the PSU. Most PSU cables will have 3-4 SATA connections.

Check out the RGB FAQ linked in my signature. It'll help lots. Read it a couple of times as there's a lot of information there.

Ahhhh alright I think I'm starting to understand it a little more now. So the setup would be like this (please correct me if I'm wrong):

9 LL fans total (3 on X73 AIO, 6 by themselves).

3 AIO fans: Powered through AIO PWM, RGB through one RGB hub.

6 solo fans: Powered through commandor pro, RGB through one RGB hub.

RGB hub 1/2: Will these be connected to a lightning node core which is then connected to the RGB LED channels on the commander pro or would I just connect the RGB Hubs directly to the Commander Pro?

Ahhhh alright I think I'm starting to understand it a little more now. So the setup would be like this (please correct me if I'm wrong):

9 LL fans total (3 on X73 AIO, 6 by themselves).

3 AIO fans: Powered through AIO PWM, RGB through one RGB hub.

6 solo fans: Powered through commandor pro, RGB through one RGB hub.

RGB hub 1/2: Will these be connected to a lightning node core which is then connected to the RGB LED channels on the commander pro or would I just connect the RGB Hubs directly to the Commander Pro?

With a CoPro you don’t need the LNP.

CoPro is an LNP + fan hub + USB hub.

Baio

You need a lighting controller and a means to power the lighting.

A Lighting Node Pro and Commander Pro are both lighting controllers. The Commander also has a 6 port fan controller. Both of these devices require a RGB Lighting Hub to provide the lighting power. Those come in the ML and LL multipacks.

The Lighting Node Core combines the LNP with the RGB Hub into one package. 6 fans per Core. 1 SATA to power. 1 USB 2.0 to communicate with software. This comes with the QL multipacks.

It is possible to use any of the three to complete the job. The problem is the answer to the original question is not the same for LL vs QL fans. As mentioned above, you can’t use more than 6 QL on a single LNP. It would take two separate LNP plus two RGB hubs. Now the more critical question is regarding the fan choice. If you already own 9 LL from another build that’s one thing, but I would advise against buying 9 LL for an O11 build when you can get QL for just slightly more. The LL have a very different appearance front vs back and you will find yourself planning around that. The QL have better lighting, more preset effects and options, and remove the front vs back problem.

You need a lighting controller and a means to power the lighting.

A Lighting Node Pro and Commander Pro are both lighting controllers. The Commander also has a 6 port fan controller. Both of these devices require a RGB Lighting Hub to provide the lighting power. Those come in the ML and LL multipacks.

The Lighting Node Core combines the LNP with the RGB Hub into one package. 6 fans per Core. 1 SATA to power. 1 USB 2.0 to communicate with software. This comes with the QL multipacks.

It is possible to use any of the three to complete the job. The problem is the answer to the original question is not the same for LL vs QL fans. As mentioned above, you can’t use more than 6 QL on a single LNP. It would take two separate LNP plus two RGB hubs. Now the more critical question is regarding the fan choice. If you already own 9 LL from another build that’s one thing, but I would advise against buying 9 LL for an O11 build when you can get QL for just slightly more. The LL have a very different appearance front vs back and you will find yourself planning around that. The QL have better lighting, more preset effects and options, and remove the front vs back problem.

So, I'm planning on just using the 9 LL fans I currently have. You said that only 6 QL fans can be used on a single LNP. If I'm just using the 9 LL fans, can I use 6 on the commander pro for power, then the other 3 on the fan ports on my mobo?

If you use the LL, you can put all of them on one LNP. It will take two RGB Lighting Hubs and they will go into Ch 1 and 2. Remember, this is just the lighting wires/power. Actual fan motor power/control is separate.

If you use the LL, you can put all of them on one LNP. It will take two RGB Lighting Hubs and they will go into Ch 1 and 2. Remember, this is just the lighting wires/power. Actual fan motor power/control is separate.

I can use one LNP or 1 commander pro which would do the same thing but also give them power correct?