Corsair Community

Which Board for TWINX1024-4400C25

Xpman

Hello,

I just picked up a A64 Winchester (939) 3200+ and was thinking about picking up the Twinx 4400C25 for it but have no clue which board to get. I'd like for it to be an N Force3.

I looked for boards compatible with the Twinx 4400C25 here in the forums but they only had this mobo:

TWINX1024-4400 Data Sheet

Motherboard make and model: Asus P4C800/-E

Each pair is tested and packaged together ...etc..

I don't know what that's all about but is this ram only good for P4s or what? Why aren't other boards listed? Who uses P4's anyways these days?

If it's not good for a A64 can anyone recommend some PC4000 or PC4400 ram that overclocks great with an A64 Winchester?

Thanks.

Welcome to the forums, Xpman!

The 4400's aren't usually used on AMD systems because most of them won't overclock enough to use the memory at PC4400 speeds, 1:1 with the CPU.

The intel side has proven to overclock farther in terms of FSB than AMD systems, but hopefully that's changing.

FYI, the nForce 4 and K8T890 boards are comming out and they're really up to par, so keep that in mind, but you will probably have to spring on a PCIx graphics card!

PLUR

CK

I'm not new here CandyKid but thanks. I was here about 2 years back and left because of worthless help around here..lol, and it seems i'll be gone again.

BTW, thanks. At least you gave a response to what I actually asked. I just found a bunch of info on this setup and it seems that with the new socket 939 MSI it oc's real good with the 4400.

I'm not new here CandyKid but thanks. I was here about 2 years back and left because of worthless help around here..lol, and it seems i'll be gone again.

Well, it's good to see you again. Good luck with your system and see you in 2 more years :sunglasse

EDIT: I forgot to ask where you found that info on the PC4400C2.5 and socket 939. Sounds like some good info to have to help others that might ask about what you have asked about.

Yes, I was going to do that. I was just looking for the links :D: .

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=365943

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=366014

http://forums.pcper.com/showthread.php?t=360279

I started the first one because I was looking for both ram and a motherboard for the chip. I've been reading alot but today I have to watch football so..

I came across 2 reviews on some sites last night about the 4400C25 and NForce3 and it works even better than on P4s but I don't believe reviews. They get too much free stuff. I just go by what others experience specially at amdmb.com there's alot of good people there that are honest.

If I find more I'll put it up. Also, I dug real deep around the main Corsair site and did find that it's good for the NForce3 boards..in fact real good. The way they hid it and you have to look for it is stupid but it's there. I'm not the only one that found it hard since no one here had much info.

It'll be either Corsair4400C25 or OCZ. The only reason I'd go with OCZ is because I've dealt with them before and NO ONE, not even NewEgg has the great customer service that OCZ does. I have to be honest though. I had great experience with Corsair with my last PC3200Cas2 512 stick I got a couple years back but when I had a problem at first. Ram guy and others blew a bunch of smoke up my you know what and beat around the bush. I finally got help elsewhere with straight answers..not.."uhh, yeah..yes..well uhhh you see...we uhh, don't really..uhhh support overclocking..uhh.." No offense to him, it's not his fault..but Corsair could be doing ALOT better as far as helping and customer support. It's not always just about.."return it..here's an RMA #" You should have people that REALLY know their stuff, hell they ARE around. If you don't believe me go to the above forum and the ones at overclockers.com. I'm just stupid you know..I figured I'd get better, faster help at a..CORSAIR OFFICIAL FORUM!

Maybe it's me but shouldn't people that work for a company or an "Official" forum for said product have a couple of people that KNOW what's up? Is it really hard to grab 3..there's only 3 for christ's sake...NForce3 socket 939 motherboards and stick your ram in it and push it? Seriously..is it? Specially when you design a ram for future use???

I started the first one because I was looking for both ram and a motherboard for the chip. I've been reading alot but today I have to watch football so..

Hehe....me too, go Falcons! I have 2 TVs close to my puter so I can do both all day.

Thanks for the links. Hopefully some other users here can give you some hands on feedback but, I don't know of many people at all yet here with 939s. And, I can't recall ANY with the specific RAM you asked about. That was why I tried to steer you to some other resources. I agree with you on not going by reviews, I like to learn from end users that bought retail stuff and know a bit about what they are doing.

Like CK said above, I think that 939 will probably go much farther on FSB on average than any previous AMD CPUs. However, I don't know for sure so that's why I did not blow any smoke at you.

I have some PC4400C2.5 that I bought to go with a Prescott 3.4 on a P4C800 E-Deluxe using the Lock Free. It's really fast up to 280mhz. But, I don't know if the RAM will run much/any faster because I am CPU limited there. I tested asynch also and the CPU tops out about 280.

I build Intel exclusively for our business because we do video production. However, some of the 939 numbers I have seen look great. If I get some play money, I may try one.

You may want to read HERE . It may help you decide on that brand. From what I have seen also, the MSI 939 MOBOs either scream or are buggy and I don't know any way yet to tell which is which before you buy. I don't know if they have a new revision out or what.

Mike.

EDIT: Ooops....that link was for a VIA chipset 939. Not sure the AA8 is out yet, is it? The buzz is on the DFI due out around Christmas but, again no concrete info.

Thanks alot SpecMike.

Hey one thing I'll say..the Falcons are the team setup to give the Eagles a HUGE headache. 2 stud RBs and a great mobile QB that'll eat that Eagle blitz.

We'll see what happens in the coming weeks. Don't laugh too hard..I'm a Redskin fan. $47mil for Brunell ??? I love the Ravens in AFC and Redskins in NFC.

I have to make up my mind by Tue. I really would like to go with Corsair, like I said because I know they're top quality and the 4400C25 seems a little future proof also.

Thanks again and BTW Happy Holidays to ALL! May all your oc hopes come thru. :D:

That is a truckload of money for Brunell. But in his defense, I think that IF the team played better as a whole, Brunell would have performed better also. Or, atleast he would not be a scapegoat. And, unless his health gets him down, we have not seen the true Joe Gibbs yet. He is too smart and 1 bad year will not defeat him.

I like what I have found on the ASUS A8N-SLI also. However, I am not sure I am ready to switch to PCI-E as I am not a gamer and the cards are high. But, it does run DDR-1 which is good IMO. If I go with 939 it will almost certainly be NF4 ASUS or DFI unless there is some surprise from another maker.

Mike.

Just curious, why do you have to decide by Tuesday? And, I'm guessing that you already have an AGP card?

There are certain brands of MOBO that I like more than others but, that also is what I try to avoid making an issue of here since it is the Corsair Forum. However, if you buy from what is available right now, I'd go with the MSI. When you get a good one, THEY DO SCREAM :eek: I have even heard of a couple hitting 300FSB+.

NFC Title Game: Eagles vs Falcons?

Mike.

Haha. I think so. Eagles vs. Falcons and Falcons win..why not what are the Eagles going to do different this year that they haven't done in the last 3. Until they win I'm not falling for that banana in the tailpipe bit.

No way I'll go PCI either. Not now. That's exactly the board I had in mind the MSI K8N Platinum 2. The earlier problems were supposedly due to bios. The newer bios are supposed to be great.

Yes, I do have an AGP card (X800XT). I too would love the DFI but I just found out not until next year and I want this setup by mid Dec. that's why I want the ram by the end of next week. If I can even get 270 on the MSI I'll be more than satisfied. I have heard about the 300FSB but it's with T2 settings which take a major hit in performance.

None of my teams won today..Redskins, Ravens. At least one thing should be guaranteed (without injuries)..the Patriots again. Too well coached, too disciplined. They don't make many mistakes.

• Corsair Employee

XPMan,

First off I think you have the right idea with what MB to get, I am sorry as I cannot suggest one MB maker over another as it will cause a conflict of interest for me. However, I can tell you we have the MSI NEO2 Plat running these modules in our lab at 300MHz. So it looks to be a great Over Clocking MB for AMD 939 CPU's. If you have not got the CPU yet I would suggest you get the 90Nm CPU and just get the latest beta bios when you get the MB and the best quality PSU (PC Power and Cooling, EnnerMax or Sparkle are all good choices) you can afford with 500 Watts+ and you should not have any problems.

None of my teams won today..Redskins, Ravens. At least one thing should be guaranteed (without injuries)..the Patriots again. Too well coached, too disciplined. They don't make many mistakes.

No kiddin, the Patriots are so good they are almost boring....almost. Let us know what kind of performance you get. You can be the in-house guinea pig/guru for this RAM on new AMD platforms.

Mike.

XPMan,

First off I think you have the right idea with what MB to get, I am sorry as I cannot suggest one MB maker over another as it will cause a conflict of interest for me. However, I can tell you we have the MSI NEO2 Plat running these modules in our lab at 300MHz. So it looks to be a great Over Clocking MB for AMD 939 CPU's. If you have not got the CPU yet I would suggest you get the 90Nm CPU and just get the latest beta bios when you get the MB and the best quality PSU (PC Power and Cooling, EnnerMax or Sparkle are all good choices) you can afford with 500 Watts+ and you should not have any problems.

Thank you may man.

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. and HELL YES!

It is a 939 A64 3200+. Also have the PSU, I've had it for 2 years now, the PC P&C Turbo Cool 510 Deluxe. This thing is the BEST component in any pc period!

I'll be satisfied with 260-270mhz. So, ok you talked me into it.

No kiddin, the Patriots are so good they are almost boring....almost. Let us know what kind of performance you get. You can be the in-house guinea pig/guru for this RAM on new AMD platforms.

Mike.

They beat up on my Ravens yesterday. Yes, they are almost boring because you just KNOW they're going to come up with the big plays to win in any game. Let's face it the only reason they lost to the Steelers was because of injuries. Specially in 2 key positions, RB and CB.

I think it's going to end up that way (guinea pig) I'm praying that it works out since they're almost $300. That's an expensive experiment. :D:

• Corsair Employee
Well not really, we have an open RMA policy if you are referring to the memory. And should you have a problem, even if we don’t think its the memory we would be happy to replace your modules. So I think you will be quite happy.

I think it's going to end up that way (guinea pig) I'm praying that it works out since they're almost $300. That's an expensive experiment. :D:

Yeah, I meant guinea pig as to the MOBO etc. I am always wary of rev 1.0 MOBOs with new chipsets and new CPUs. But, yer RAM is solid.

Mike.

Well not really, we have an open RMA policy if you are referring to the memory. And should you have a problem, even if we don’t think its the memory we would be happy to replace your modules. So I think you will be quite happy.

I've read a few more reports with my same setup and they're all great so I don't expect any problems. Thanks

Yeah, I meant guinea pig as to the MOBO etc. I am always wary of rev 1.0 MOBOs with new chipsets and new CPUs. But, yer RAM is solid.

Mike.

That was my first concern. I remember the NF7-S became alot better with rev.2.0

I just had to get that A64 3200 cpu because I've read so much about it that I was starting to see it in my soup. I didn't want to regret not getting one now so I jumped on it. :D:

Sorry for the late reply, I've been very busy. I got the PC4400C25 last Thursday and put them in the Abit NF7-S2.0 since the MSI K8N Neo2 won't get here until this Thursday.

Ok, I put it in and set the voltage to 2.8 and set the FSB to 200mhz at 2-2-2-5. It passed P95 for 11 hrs. (I set it overnight) I don't use Memtest. To me it's a HUGE waste of time. If it passes P95 and you play a couple of games for over an hour and it doesn't crash then it's fine and it's always worked for me.

The strange thing about these PC4400C25s is that I had my 2x256 Winbond/Twinmos BH-5s and 1x512 Corsair PC3200Cas2 set at 210FSB before..10mhz higher, but this PC4400C25 performed alot better at 200FSB. I played Doom3 for about 1hr and it was smooth. No skipping or studdering like I got before. This ram ate Doom3 and it ran flawless (keep in mind I have an X800XT @ 550/550) with 4xAA and 8XAF. With the other ram (BH-5 and PC3200Cas2) I couldn't use 4XAA or 8xAF or the skipping would get ridiculous (for me at least). Every new door or new monster I'd encounter it'd skip or pause for a sec.

Now after burning it in just a little bit and with 2.80v I'm at 210FSB but haven't tried anymore since this is the NF7-S. The settings are the same, fsb, multi, voltage etc. but this ram beats up on my BH-5s and the older Corsair PC3200Cas2. I got 300+ more points in 3DMark2k1 and 200+ more in 3DMark2K3. The performance out of these 2 sticks are exellent and beyond what I expected. So far I'm extremely satisfied and glad I chose this over the other 2 I was thinking (OCZ Pla. Rev2 and G.Skill). I haven't tried it on the 939 board yet with my A64 3200+ since I don't have the board or the A64 TDX water block yet but I'll have it all by next Wed. I'm hoping it performs like it should and that it overclocks like I've read. I'm keeping my fingers crossed but so far it's great on my NF7-S and any of you thinking of new ram for NForce2 boards...this easily kills BH-5s with the performance I got. :headbang2 :headbang:

Archived