Corsair Community

HG10 N980 & N970 Thread - Post Issues Here

TheDudeLasse

Nope.

I'm using mine (installed with the washers as suggested by Corsair_Dustin)

I'm not seeing quite as good temps as I had hoped, but certainly better than I did with the stock ACX2.0+ cooler, and they are perfectly silent.

During actual game play at stock clocks, the most my GPU fans have spun up to is 17% (and the Noctua fans are dead silent at that speed) and sit at ~60C.

The current titles I am playing don't require overclocking, as I have them vsynced at 60hz and am getting no more than 60-70% load, so I just keep them at stock speeds for now.

Before they would spin up crazy fast and be very loud. Now I can't hear the computer at all when wearing my headphones, even during extended gaming sessions. I'm sometimes amazed when I take the headphones off, at how quiet the computer is.

Now, I am waiting for the official fix, to get the temps I want so that when I need to overclock, I can.

My biggest annoyance right now is that the pump on one of my H90s (top GPU) is making a humming noise. I THINK it's just vibration, and I need to tighten something down. (I suspect the fact that on ACX2.0+ boards you lose the top PCI bracket screw when installing the HG10 might be a contributing factor here). I haven't had time to address it yet though. Hopefully soon.

I think I noticed this same thing when I got my HG10 on and H90s going. It was loud but it didn't make any sense. At first I thought it was the pumps, so I unhooked all of them. The sound was still loud. I plugged them all backed in.

I noticed that the sound was coming from the blower fan, it has a fixed minimum of 50% and it was very loud. This was probably my main motivation moving to the kraken g10. The blower fan is loud even at the minimum setting, to me this eliminated the benefits of water cooling, but maybe not for everyone

Try to manually stop your fans with your hand while the PC is on desktop, I bet you notice the sound goes away.

Good luck

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Corsair Employee
Dustin and Technobeard: Will Corsair be sending the fix-kits free of charge to the handful of early adopters of the HG10 N980?

Of course. Once it's ready for distribution, if you contact customer service they'll send you the fix.

I'm actually validating it right now and it seems to be working well. I have a stock 980 Ti with the N980, fix implemented, and an H90. Ambient room temp of 16C (our lab is freezing), but peak temp in Unigine Valley is 45C.

Edited by Corsair Dustin
Clarity.

I noticed that the sound was coming from the blower fan, it has a fixed minimum of 50% and it was very loud. This was probably my main motivation moving to the kraken g10. The blower fan is loud even at the minimum setting, to me this eliminated the benefits of water cooling, but maybe not for everyone

Yeah, I noticed this before even installing the HG10's into my system.

I addressed this by volt modding the blower fans, using a custom wire harness, which also allows the GPU PWM signal to control the 140mm fans on the H90.

Click for Bigger:

22548818708_21da7c441a.jpg

22595601814_e674c48b70_b.jpg

My blower fans are now inaudible. At 0% PWM signal they spin very very slowly at 5V, and when the PWM signal increases, so does the blower fan speed. I figured I could get away with this, as the fans seem designed to cool a full GPU, and in this configuration they are only cooling the RAM and VRM's, so a much slower speed is all that is needed.

The PWM signal also controls the 140mm fans in push/pull on the H90, meaning I can still use MSI Afterburner, or EVGA precision X or other tools like that to manage fan profiles.

I initially suspected the noise was coming from some fan in my system, as it sounds like a fan hum from the outside of the case, but when I systemically went through with ASUS Fan Xpert and tested each fan header, it turned out that the noise went away when I messed with CaseFan1, which is where I plugged in the H90 pump for my top GPU.

My theory now is that either there is vibration due to the way EVGA connects the PCI bracket to the board, that leaves the hole unpopulated once the HG10 is installed, OR I have a bad H90, which I may have to RMA. I ahve not had the time to open the case and poke around yet. When I do, I will find out more.

I didn't notice it when I was doing my install at my workbench in the basement, but I have pretty loud flourescent bulbs above my workbench which probably covered up the noise.

To illustrate the screw issue, on the EVGA ACX2.0+ 980ti models there is a screw (closes one in the corner in this picture) which you have to remove in order to take off the black heatspreader EVGA installs for the RAM and VRM's. The heatspreader needs to come off in order to fit the HG10.

The problem is that the PCI bracket has a loop that the screw pokes through to hold it in place and the hole in the heatspreader is threaded. The HG10 doesn't have any screw mount in this location.

So, once the HG10 is installed, there is a hole in the board, that lines up with the hole that attaches the board to the PCI bracket, but there is no threaded backing, so you can't tighten a screw in there without a nut.

The PCI bracket provides a large amount of the boards stability when installed in the PCIe slot, so with a pump vibrating and the bracket only installed on the bottom, it is very possible this could result in my noise issues.

I need to figure out what size the screws are so I can get a nut, and tighten it down.

The Manual calls these screws M3 screws, but they are smaller than the M3 screws that are normally used in computers, for such things as screwing in 2.5" drives. Those screws are M3x0.50. Either these video card screws are the smaller threaded M3x0.35 size, or they are not M3 screws at all.

Unfortunately I lack the tooling to properly measure the screw threads.

Technobeard / CorsairDustin:

Would either of you be willing to share the screw size of the little black mounting screws on the BOM of the HG10? This would be very helpful for me to find a matching nut.

Thanks,

Matt

mattlach: Since that scew does not screw into the HG10 bracket, it does not neccessary need to be identical to the screws shipped with the bracket.

I can say a standard M3 screw and nut fit in that hole on the card.

I had to do the same on my card since I had the exact same "issue" to so say.

I actually used a CD drive screw, and then a random m3 nut found in my toolbox, to screw together that loop and the card.

Edited by sebastiannielse

We're currently investigating fixes to get everyone's N980s up to speed. I have an unofficial - and I must stress this is unofficial - but I have an unofficial fix that we've tried internally and has worked fairly well. If you're using an Asetek-built cooler (H50, H55, H75, H80i GT, H90, H100i GTX, H105, H110, H110i GTX) you can place #6 steel washers between the cooler's bracket and the HG10's standoffs and it should ameliorate bowing, improve temps, and prevent standoffs from breaking. I recommend using double-sided tape to keep the washers in place.

Would this fix also work with CoolIT based coolers as well, or is there a different shimming method? I've got access to a fairly well stocked supplyhouse that carries nylon washers (which would alleviate any "loose metal" concerns).

-P

• Corsair Employee
Unfortunately the CoolIT based coolers are a little more of a crap shoot. One thing you may want to try doing is modifying the thermal pad on the bottom of the HG10 to only cover the DRAM and not that weird taller component at the bottom right of the GPU; that's something I'm planning on testing soon.

mattlach: Since that scew does not screw into the HG10 bracket, it does not neccessary need to be identical to the screws shipped with the bracket.

I can say a standard M3 screw and nut fit in that hole on the card.

I had to do the same on my card since I had the exact same "issue" to so say.

I actually used a CD drive screw, and then a random m3 nut found in my toolbox, to screw together that loop and the card.

That is true. I thought of doing this, but I am using these with the EVGA backplate on them, and I am concerned a bigger M3 screw won't fit cleanly in the counter-bored hole on the backplate.

I might try something though.

That is true. I thought of doing this, but I am using these with the EVGA backplate on them, and I am concerned a bigger M3 screw won't fit cleanly in the counter-bored hole on the backplate.

I might try something though.

I don't think the backplate is compatible with the hg10.

• Corsair Employee
The fix is a change to the dimensions of the standoffs used to mount the coolers; this prevents them from breaking, but also allows them to provide the correct amount of clamping pressure instead of warping the board. We'll be sending these to existing N980 members, and they're being repackaged and rolled into our N980 stock.

The fix is a change to the dimensions of the standoffs used to mount the coolers; this prevents them from breaking, but also allows them to provide the correct amount of clamping pressure instead of warping the board. We'll be sending these to existing N980 members, and they're being repackaged and rolled into our N980 stock.

Cool, I ordered the HG10 N980 via Amazon. Do I need to contact Amazon to receive the standoffs or what is the correct procedure?

So nothing needs done on our end for those of us that bought the first batch, they will automatically be shipped to us?

Just if anyone is thinking of returning their HG10: Don't. It is not worth the trouble. I returned mine some three weeks ago, have not heard from Corsair since, let alone received my money back. They do not answer my support ticket requests. They basically ignore me. This has been my last Corsair product ever. Really sad that it has come to this.

Oh, before i forget: They even had me pay the shipping cost for a hardware component that simply does not work at all...

Edited by sunthief

Just if anyone is thinking of returning their HG10: Don't. It is not worth the trouble. I returned mine some three weeks ago, have not heard from Corsair since, let alone received my money back. They do not answer my support ticket requests. They basically ignore me. This has been my last Corsair product ever. Really sad that it has come to this.

Oh, before i forget: They even had me pay the shipping cost for a hardware component that simply does not work at all...

Yeah, I've been on the fence about a return. Worse case, I paid using a CC so I can just do a charge back. But I am still holding off onto this supposed 'fix'.

Will let someone on here test it out first, if it still has issues, its getting a return and charge back if I have issues. I would also refuse to pay shipping on something that is defective, and isn't a simple "I don't want it' return.

When the fix is available you will likely need to contact customer service to receive it.

I contacted customer service via phone. They had me put ina ticket for my hg10 n980. I was getting similar results as others, my board was warping and the cooler was not making good contact with the gpu. On my online ticket they said they would issue me a refund. I asked "what about the fix Dustin from corsair was talking about? I would just rather have a fix" they said they were not aware of a fix. I had to link them to this forum. Please ensure your customer service is made aware that you are working on a fix for others....thanks...and please keep us updated of the progress. We have been waiting for a long time

I contacted customer service via phone. They had me put ina ticket for my hg10 n980. I was getting similar results as others, my board was warping and the cooler was not making good contact with the gpu. On my online ticket they said they would issue me a refund. I asked "what about the fix Dustin from corsair was talking about? I would just rather have a fix" they said they were not aware of a fix. I had to link them to this forum. Please ensure your customer service is made aware that you are working on a fix for others....thanks...and please keep us updated of the progress. We have been waiting for a long time

This was a concern for me for those of us that were early adopters. Let me know what customer service says after they see the forum posts.