Corsair Community

H80 fans revving up then down

Pacmanpc

I recently purchased a H80 and after installing it i noticed that 1 of the fans would constantly spin up then down, i tried using the on board fan headers and the fan seemed to work normally.

I didn't want to have to go through the hassle of RMA'ing 1 fan so i just replaced both with faster coolermaster fans.

Again 1 of the fans would constantly spin all the way up then down and completely stopping before spinning up again.

The fans were both plugged into the headers on the pump themselves and i have tried the cold booting holding button down thing to reset the firmware and it does the same thing even before i get into windows.

I even switched the order on the pump fan headers and it seems that 1 of them is the culprit, well it seems to be anyways or it could be that i don't hear the corsair fan spinning up and stopping due to lower rpms

After testing 2 more different fans no matter what i do when i have 2 fans connected, 1 would constantly start, spin to max then slow down before stopping and continually repeating.

I have no idea what to do and would appreciate any assistance on this matter, for the time being i have put 1 new fan in push mode on the back and it seems to constantly spin and 1 of the original corsair fans on pulling and i cannot hear it spin up and down but that's not to say it isn't.

Either way for something that costs me $150 i would expect it to work perfectly.

so how does the RMA work? i have a useless computer while i send the h80 back ie one with no cooling?

I submitted an RMA already and haven't received any further information as of yet, not really looking forward to shipping my h80 to the US if i have to pay for postage.

Tonight i had a power outage at home, when it came back on my system booted and the fans are going flat out and nothing i could do would bring them back to normal speeds including resetting firmware.

RMA number 2264900, as i said i filled in form and nothing =\

ok further update: i changed headers on the pump and put the fan on header 2, the one towards the bottom of the pump and the fan spins normally, guess 1 of the headers is screwed. the other fan is using the m/b header since it isn't a corsair fan due to original one not working properly

I had the same issue when trying to run my front 230mm fan off one of the fan headers, spin up, spin down, i know its not the right fan...just wanted to try lol.

I also get this issue when i try to use the H70 splitter (i have both units) to run 2x 120mm front intake fans mounted in the drivebays, it works normal with a single fan plugged in seporate pump fan headers. No reason to do this, i run all my rad fans off a fan controller and not the pump. Figured id see if i could use the pump as an extra fan controller as the two front 120mm and the lower 230mm fans all run full blast and i was hoping to get some noise reduction.

Just playing with my toys and thought id share if anyone else was wondering about using the pump as and extra fan controller for other case fans ;)

Ask about an advanced RMA. That's where they ship the RMA first (with a credit card as collateral), and then after getting it you ship yours back.

Ya, advanced ram is very handy. Use your own extra fans connected directly to the psu using molex and deal with the full speed fans, unles you have a spare fan controller till then.

Very nice option.

how do i go about that? my h80 pump has started cliicking now and the 1 fan that came with the h80 still doesnt spin at all when connected to the pump.

this is really frustrating, i have gone through the RMA steps on the left and it gets me nowhere, i have yet to get a response from the RMA.

All i want to know is what exactly do i have to do to get this pos h80 faulty crap replaced without me being without a cpu cooler in the meantime.

• 2 months later...

ok great, just replaced my h80 with another one from the store ( this is my 3rd one, 1st had the fan issue, next one just plain died)and after playing around with my m/b bios settings and rebooting, the fans have started revving up and down again and resetting the firmware does nothing at all.

The button for changing fan speed lights up when you push it but the fan speed does nothing ecept spins up then down constantly.

Time to take this one back and ask for a refund i guess, next cpu cooler will not be a corsair, nothing but issues with the 3 h80s i have tried.

As for the RMA i am in Australia and it would cost me a fortune to send this unit back since i will have to pay the postage to get it there.

Its probably cheaper for me to just bin the thing and avoid corsair all together unless they come up with a better RMA method

• Corsair Employee
In your case, I would contact our customer service and let them know what the issue and they can work with you regarding shipping fees. 1-888-222-4346 x 701 and if you already have a previous RMA #, you can reference that for this issue.

Archived