Corsair Community

No Love for Neutron GTX?

Hmmm, Id say try a 128K strip and see if things improve with that.

Typically this stripe size is more suited to hard drives use, but you have little to lose in giving it a shot.

Is there any history of stripe size causing drives to perform at only half speed & only suffer this in RAID0?

I have two force 3 gt's in a raid 0 config and i set the stripe size to 128k, have you tried that because my speeds are over 1000 MB/s.

16k has always been better performance than 128k on SSDs...FOR THE MOST PART. take that with a grain of salt since different controllers act... differently. There has been benchmark review after review to prove this. I'll provide links below that will show even with different brands and stripe size the difference in Read/Write speeds is very minimal.

Also, the problem I am experiencing is that my Read speed is slower than one drive operating in IDE or AHCI mode (while in RAID 0). That would not be caused by a stripe size in the configuration. Unless there is something REALLY funky going on. Who knows. I'm just going to sit back and see what Yellowbeard comes up with. Hopefully he'll report back here with some good news.

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?108906-Benchmark-Results-2x-Vector-SSD-s-in-RAID0-with-stripe-sizes-16-64-128

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/Stripe-size-for-RAID0-with-C300/td-p/38326

I found the best results (on SandForce controlled SSDs) with 64k strip.

there seem to be gradual improvement with each strip size step up to 64KB then things go below a bit with 128KB. that is for the OS partition however, results might be different for a raid ssd for games or programs only.

• Corsair Employee
One thing you might try and I am sure Yellowbeard would have suggested it but he is out of the office today. We just released the SSD Tool Box which will allow you to update the firmware to the latest version for your Neutron Drives. However, you will have to break the raid and have them running on a controller running in ASHCI mode to do the update.

I think Corsair should release a tool that works under Linux bootable and doesn't affect RAID contents when temporarily switched to AHCI this way.

that's how SandForce drives can be updated when normally running RAID0 under Windows, you just need to toggle them to AHCI, boot to Linux USB (e.g. Parted Magic 6.7) and run the Sand Force field updater linux executable from there, then reboot, toggle back to RAID and boot to Windows like nothing happened ;)

Corsair should have it, you can do it guys! :D

hey no probs RAM GUY, I edited one word in comment above, was typing in rush and goofed one thing.

anyways, yeah go ahead, I hope Corsair could release such a tool, it simply makes life easier for end users with such functionality :)

One thing you might try and I am sure Yellowbeard would have suggested it but he is out of the office today. We just released the SSD Tool Box which will allow you to update the firmware to the latest version for your Neutron Drives. However, you will have to break the raid and have them running on a controller running in ASHCI mode to do the update.

Thanks for the response RAM GUY. I'll give it a shot.

UPDATE:

Downloaded it and ran as an administrator with the BIOS in AHCI mode. Windows 7 x64 Ultimate. The program fails to update either drive. You simply get the "update failed" message.

On a second note.. I feel compelled to add that it is completely insane to update the firmware on anything within the Windows environment. I cringed when I ran this. But just so you guys know... the tool does not work. It tells me there is a new firmware available (M310) but it fails to update.

UPDATE 2:

Upon further investigation... it seems that it DID flash the new firmware... but it gave the error message. Very strange. If anyone else out there gets the "firmware update failed" message... check your firmware version anyways... its probably updated. Now all that is left is to see if it fixes the RAID situation.

LuckyDuck,

how long has it been since you reinstalled Windows?

Although I am very conservative about what I install on my system I have found that after about a year and a half of it running it starts to be a PITA.

All the updates for the various components and the garbage they leave behind just accumulates to the point where things such as you describe start to happen and the hassle of tracking down the reason for it just becomes greater than wiping the system and starting anew with all the newest drivers installed from the get go.

LuckyDuck,

how long has it been since you reinstalled Windows?

Yeah, I totally agree. And today was the 8th time I've reisntalled Windows in the past 2 weeks. I used the Corsair recommended Linux based wiping tool each time.

So here's something that's interesting... and by interesting I mean really screwed up to the point I almost cried while laughing. I flashed to the new M310 firmware, right? Did a fresh install of windows after wiping again. My speeds dropped in AHCI mode. Write speeds dropped to 194 MB/s and 203 MB/s. Read speeds dropped to 498 MB/s and 507 MB/s.

I'm done with Corsair SSDs. Completely. My Samsung 840 Pros arrived today from Newegg. I'm sticking with them. I'll just use these Neutron GTX drives in an internet build or something.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in and tried to contribute. Best of luck to all of you.

Archived