Corsair Community

H80i pump noise, not fan(s)

Xavin

Hello i recently purchased an H80i.

Im not sure if it's supposed to be like this but my pump makes this sound. It sounds like an tiny fan that spins at high rpm.

I have tried plugging the fan directly into the pump and also tried connecting it directly to the psu.

The version on the firmware is 1.04 but i havent updated since the update seems to be towards fans making a sound.

The pump rpm is between 2190-2300.

The pump noise can be caused by the fans too if they are the 3 pin type. They have offered replacement PWM fans that should get rid of the pump noise. And since yo are having issues i would go ahead and try to update to the 1.05v found in the stickys above.

Just use the link on the left to request an RMA for the cooler. In the comments section let them know you need the new PWM fans for that unit and then just follow the directions they will send to you.

I forgot to mention im using one sp quiet edition 120mm.

I tried to update to 1.05, but it sounds the same.

It also sounds the same without any fans connected to the pump.

It reminds me of the sound my h100 made with the 12.2+v rail issue.

I've done some more testing, tried another psu.

Before i send it in i want to be as sure as i can, if anyone with an h80i could confirm this so i dont send back an working cooler.

So im using an R4 with a 140mm af quiet edition and a 120mm sp quiet edition in the front, full speed.

An 140mm af quiet edition in the roof @ 7v and the h80i in the back with an sp 120mm quiet full speed.

I shouldn't hear the spinning/buzzing sound from 3-6 feet away right?

• Corsair Employee
I shouldn't hear the spinning/buzzing sound from 3-6 feet away right?

That's quite loud. I would suggest that you get that unit replaced, since the pump would still produce the noise even without any pump connected to it.

That's quite loud. I would suggest that you get that unit replaced, since the pump would still produce the noise even without any pump connected to it.

I was a bit worried it wasn't the pump that was the cause but the psu, but i unmounted the cooler and connected it to another psu and ran it outside the case. Turned it a bit incase of stuck air but it produceed the same sound.

Got rma setup and just waiting for an replacement now.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee
Might be some air pockets trapped inside the unit. I would try laying down the case on its side and see if the noise goes away, if it does then keep it in that position for about an hr and stand it back up and see if the noise goes away. Also, try to gently tapping the pump and see if the noise goes away. It is not uncommon to have some noise if this is a new unit, let it break in for a couple of days and see if the noise goes away. Thanks

• 9 months later...

Archived