Corsair Community

CML16GX3M4A1600C9 cannot set speed to DDR1600 nor dual channel memory

wlck

Hi all!

I upgraded memory to CML16GX3M4A1600C9 at the weekend. When installed it defaulted to DDR1333. When I try to increase to increase the speed to 1600 I get boot failure everytime. I checked the memory using memtest86+ v4.20 as recommende here. Although I had all 4 memory sticks installed when I ran Memtest86 and not individually as recommended here. Anyway after 4 passes I got zero errors.

Using CPU-Z I inspected the memory data and found one stick had a different part number. Here is the arrangement;

Slot#1: CML16GX3M4A1600C9

Slot#2: CML16GX3M4A1600C9

Slot#3: CML16GX3M4A1600C9

Slot#4: CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9

Also there was no indication that dual channel was enabled! I was unable to determine how to set this manually and came to the conclusion it was set automatically by the BIOS at boot.

I did try increasing the DDR voltage to 1.65v as suggested here but still got boot failure. I tried optimised default setting in the BIOS but same result.

I don't know what to next! Do I return the memory to the seller because it's not a match set? Or is there something else I can try? Or perhaps I haven't been systematic in my methodology!!

I haven't had any boot or system failures when using the PC in DDR1600 mode but feel I'm not getting the performance expected.

I also upgraded my GA-A75-UD4H motherboard BIOS to the latest F8a and that both Windows 8 Home Premium 64bit and Linux Mint 13 64bit report 16GB of ram fitted.

Expert assistance would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks in advance.

Regards

wlck

Hi all!

I upgraded memory to CML16GX3M4A1600C9 at the weekend. When installed it defaulted to DDR1333. When I try to increase to increase the speed to 1600 I get boot failure everytime. I checked the memory using memtest86+ v4.20 as recommende here. Although I had all 4 memory sticks installed when I ran Memtest86 and not individually as recommended here. Anyway after 4 passes I got zero errors.

Using CPU-Z I inspected the memory data and found one stick had a different part number. Here is the arrangement;

Slot#1: CML16GX3M4A1600C9

Slot#2: CML16GX3M4A1600C9

Slot#3: CML16GX3M4A1600C9

Slot#4: CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9

Also there was no indication that dual channel was enabled! I was unable to determine how to set this manually and came to the conclusion it was set automatically by the BIOS at boot.

I did try increasing the DDR voltage to 1.65v as suggested here but still got boot failure. I tried optimised default setting in the BIOS but same result.

I don't know what to next! Do I return the memory to the seller because it's not a match set? Or is there something else I can try? Or perhaps I haven't been systematic in my methodology!!

I haven't had any boot or system failures when using the PC in DDR1600 mode but feel I'm not getting the performance expected.

I also upgraded my GA-A75-UD4H motherboard BIOS to the latest F8a and that both Windows 8 Home Premium 64bit and Linux Mint 13 64bit report 16GB of ram fitted.

Expert assistance would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks in advance.

Regards

wlck

Your best bet is to contact Corsair Support directly with a photo of the mis-matched stick. They will then most likely in turn have you send them the full kit to get a replacement.

As to what Synthohol stated above, you should have absolutely no problems getting 1600 from your A8 chip. I've got a 4170 with a set of RipjawsZ 1600 RAM and it has no trouble at all running at 1600MHz happily in dual channel mode with all 4 slots populated.

Your best bet is to contact Corsair Support directly with a photo of the mis-matched stick. They will then most likely in turn have you send them the full kit to get a replacement.

Thanks I've now created a technical support request to Corsair as suggested. I shall advise outcome. Many thanks.

wlck

honestly i missed the 4g stick when i read it.

can you swap the sticks around to see if the issue follows the ram or stays with slot4?

Yes I shall do this tomorrow .... I seem to remember that when I researched the forum posts there was one which suggested that a power issue might result in the memory module in the last slot reporting an incorrect part number (?)

Synthohol, I'll let you know the outcome, many thanks.

Regards,

wlck

honestly i missed the 4g stick when i read it.

can you swap the sticks around to see if the issue follows the ram or stays with slot4?

I have shuffled the memory modules 3 times and the issue (incorrect part number CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9) follows the ram module in 3 different slots! Still get boot failure each time with 4 ram modules at 1600 MHz.

I've now populated the PC with only 2x4GB ram modules fitted in slots DDR3_1 and DDR3_2 for dual channel as recommended in the manual. CMZ4GX3M1A1600C9 module is excluded. Still get boot failure when set to 1600MHz! Neither does CPZ-Z indicate dual channel enabled at 1333MHz.

Any suggestions as to what I should do next?

No response from Corsair technical support yet.

Regards,

wlck

[quote=Synthohol; extract from Memory Upgrade Resource Guide - 2010

Memory Controller Voltages

The increased load of 4-up or 6-up is not an additional load on the memory modules. Many users mistakenly increase memory voltage when running all slots loaded and most often when trying to address stability issues. This is not necessary as a motherboard is configured to supply the BIOS set voltage to each DIMM slot, regardless of how many slots are filled.

Increasing the memory voltage over the rated module voltage will not address a stability issue that is related to the memory controller voltage.

Earlier I said I increased the DDR3 memory voltage without success. In this guidance it mentions a) memory voltage and b) memory controller voltage.

The GA-A75-UD4H manual (pages 40/41) mention;

(a) DDR3 Voltage control (1.025v to 2.135v) which is the one I increased, and;

(b) DDR VTT Voltage Control (0.515v to 1.145v)

Was I correct in adjusting DDR3 Voltage control?

Confused!

wlck

Was I correct in adjusting DDR3 Voltage control?

NO, actually you may have just voided the warranty. ONlY on some systems should those voltages be adjusted and only to certain parameters and if you set them to 2.135v your WAY above those.

The modules can only handle 2.0 volts before damaging the memory.

NO, actually you may have just voided the warranty. ONlY on some systems should those voltages be adjusted and only to certain parameters and if you set them to 2.135v your WAY above those.

The modules can only handle 2.0 volts before damaging the memory.

Hi peanutz94

In my initial post I stated that I had increased the DDR voltage to 1.65v with no success and then reverted to 1.50v. Therefore the max voltage has not been exceeded nor has the warranty been voided.

In the post you refer to I was quoting the maximum and minimum voltage settings for DDR Voltage Control (1.025v - 2.135v) and DVR VTT Voltage Control (0.515v - 1.145v) as stated in the MB user manual.

The memory runs OK at 1333 MHz and there have been no boot failures or operating failures in either WIN 7 64bit or Linux Mint 64bit. It just fails to run in dual channel memory mode at any speed or to boot at 1600MHz.

One of the modules has an incorrect part number which doesn't match the others although the physical labels on the parts are identical and numbered in sequence! Although I'm not an memory expert, I thought this was significant and may account for the failure? Although I had no luck when I tried 2x4GB units of the same part number!

This memory is listed as compatible with this MB by Gigabyte on their website.

I guess I'll just have to reject it and try an alternative.

Many thanks for everyones assistance.

wlck

It looks like your RMA was already replied to on the 1st.

Yes, sorry, tech support did suggest I return the memory to the seller. They had no other advice.

Thank you for your assistance.

wlck

Archived