Corsair Community

CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 Failed MemTest86

gh0st47

Guys...my brand new Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB RAM , has failed MemTest86 on the same day i bought them ! :eek: :eek: :sigh!:

I have 2 sticks installed when testing it had over 1 K errors withing minutes....

I installed them according to Asus recommendation as in Slot 2 and 4 instead of Slot 1 and 3 ( Slot 1 is closes to the CPU Cooler )

I used CD-Boot Up for the MemTest86 not USB.

Im using a Asus P8Z77-M Mobo + Intel i5 3550 @ 3.3 Ghz

I have the RAM set to XMP Profile on the AI Tuner , so it's running at it's proper speed and settings

1600mhz , 9-9-9-24 , 1.5V

Since running at those settings failed , i had it reverting back to the Default settings , as in turning off the XMP profile , so my RAM was only running at 1333mhz , which too still failed the MemTest86...

But the test is on the first day i bought my RAM , i instantly had it running on MemTest86 , it's been passed 6 days now , but so far i didn't get any

BSOD , Freezing etc , so far no problems when gaming , no crashing etc.

So is it time for RMA :confused: :confused:

Or is there something i doing wrong when using MemTest86 or did i did some wrong RAM settings in the BIOS :confused: :[pouts:

did you update the bios to the latest? did you reset it to defaults then enable XMP?

did you disable legacy USB in the bios before testing? (the latter if not done wil give false positives.)

did you test 1 stick at a time after doing everything above?

let us know.

NO to all , i haven't really go into serious testing yet, i will do so 2morrow first thing in the morning.

About your Questions :

1) But i don't understand this part

" Did you reset it to defaults then enable XMP "

Did you meant by have the RAM settings to default settings then only switch to XMP Profile ?

2)For the " Legacy USB " i see there is 2 , one is Legacy USB and another is Legacy USB 3.0 , so i just Disable the main one Legacy USB , that should work right since i did that i can no longer see the one for 3.0

3)I have not tested them one by one , i heard this is the proper way to do so , i will do this and see how it goes.

My Question :

About using MemTest86 , i had it burn onto a Disc , so i just had to throw it in , and boot up via my DVD Room then MemTest86 will run , that's all i have to do right ? Do i need to do any other settings and such in the MemTest86 ?

But when i had MemTest86 running , my keyboard won't work.....i have a Logitech G510 , maybe a normal keyboard will work , i haven't try.

I had to reset my PC to quit MemTest86 with the reset switch on my case.

Another thing , if both RAM do failed on the Slot 2 ( Asus recommending using Slot 2 when only using a Single stick RAM ) , should i try it with Slot 1 ?

What worry me most is......(previously my RAM is on Slot 1 and 3 actually since i switch to Vengeance i have to use 2 and 4 since the heatsink will collide with my CPU Cooler fan) maybe my Mobo slot is faulty , that will really be F@$% up , i would have to RMA my Mobo instead ! And RMA here usually takes 1 Month long ! Which means no Mobo = NO PC for a month ! :eek:

I think i will go crazy....:[pouts: :eyebuldge :laughcry:

Ok guys it's morning , i have just finished testing here's my conclusion.

I didn't update BIOS , didn't need to ( but im not using latest )

But hear me out here first.

USB Legacy is off.

I have tried both 1333mhz and 16000mhz (XMP Profile) , Timing 9-9-9-24 , Voltage 1.5 V

I have my first stick RAM running on MemTest86 on Slot 2 , passed flawlessly....

Then time to test the second stick on MemTest86 on Slot 2, failed with flying colors ! Just within 10 secs i got over 1000 errors....

(It's same when i testing 2 sticks together , too had over 1000 errors , within 10 sec , so i guess its caused by this second stick RAM)

So ok nvm , i thought i give a try on Slot 4 just in case maybe Slot 4 have problems too , i used the first stick ( the good one ) on Slot 4 , passed flawlessly till a rainbow came into my house :eek: :p:

So Slot 4 is confirm to be no problem , so does Slot 2. Didn't test Slot 1 and 3 though since im not using those.

Then i had my previous KINGMAX 2X 8GB 1333mhz Value RAM a go.

I have two stick installed on Slot 2 and 4 together and ran MemTest86

1333mhz , 9-9-9-24 , 1.5 V (if not mistaken i forgot what's voltage had it on Auto)

It passed so well that even my PC booting up only took me 1 sec ( lol just joking but you get my point )

Im so disappointed in Corsair...my Kingmax is a USED RAM given from my friend and yet it's working alot better :[pouts: Should I regret buying Corsair RAM :confused:

So it's a case close , my second stick of RAM is faulty time for a RMA !

So how i do RMA ? I bought from a retail shop here in Malaysia , South East Asia.

The receipt state that if product bought within 1 Month , im entitle to 1 to 1 exchange , as in i could just swap for another one off their shelf just like that.

Should i do that , or demand them to take back to Corsair Distributor here and wait for a 1 Month long RMA ? ( RMA here easily take up 1 to 2 Months )

Any advice ? Should i first contact Corsair ??

Also tell me guys, what's actually the problem here. Since one stick of the RAM is diagnosed faulty....why can i still boot up my PC , play games intensely

( I did get a BSOD on FarCry3 stating " Memory_Management " , but alot complained FC3 causing BSOD but they never state what BSOD code )

I just don't get it , my PC Windows is able to detect the RAM , all 8 GB , CPU-Z is detecting it too , all the numbers are correct. But diagnosed the RAM is major faulty....:confused:

Well that's a short reply lol, well that's what the receipt says...i only have this RAM for over 7 - 10 days or so. So i can just do an instant 1 to 1 exchange swap.

But this is MALAYSIA ! The country of lies and scam etc =)

So it's no surprise they won't live up to their words and ending up me waiting for 1 or maybe 2 Months long for RMA ( which it doesn't even need to take so long....... )

Can you least explained why is my RAM diagnosed faulty yet im able to boot up , this really puzzle me and im real curious about this.

• Administrators

Ask the store if they have it in stock before you give it to them for replacement. If they have it in stock it should be as simple as a 5 second swap.

Memory can fail in a myriad of ways. It could be just one bit on one chip on the stick. Enough to throw errors in memtest, but not enough (or not in the right location for dumb luck to create instant BSODs).

Ask the store if they have it in stock before you give it to them for replacement. If they have it in stock it should be as simple as a 5 second swap.

Memory can fail in a myriad of ways. It could be just one bit on one chip on the stick. Enough to throw errors in memtest, but not enough (or not in the right location for dumb luck to create instant BSODs).

Don't corsair run test on every stick of RAM before they leave their factory ?

Or could it be while on the way on shipment workers didn't handle the things properly ending up damaging it on the process ?

Could RAM kept too long in a storage and ending up having problem.....:confused:

• Administrators
Yes, all memory is tested in the factory. Memory can fail for a variety or reasons. It could be environmental, it could have gotten a static zap when it was taken out of the box, the tester could have just missed it. Either way it has a lifetime warranty so we'll be sure to make it right.

Yes, all memory is tested in the factory. Memory can fail for a variety or reasons. It could be environmental, it could have gotten a static zap when it was taken out of the box, the tester could have just missed it. Either way it has a lifetime warranty so we'll be sure to make it right.

Consider me unlucky then...i always been unlucky my entire life :(:

Anyways tks for the help. Your a Corsair Employee ?? Your name below states you are.

Yes, he's the real McCoy!!! :)

Forum software will not let just anyone add that title to their profile unless they are true employees.

Who's McCoy lol ??

Im still new to the forums , usually also that even products i really like and always support , i never know who's the designer ( even their name ) or even the owner of the company :p:

Like Logitech i love them , i have all Logitech products (literally almost all) , but till now i have no idea who's the CEO lol !

It's just a saying...Ya know that if something is genuine it is known as "The Real McCoy". There's a few different origins of the phrase though.Some dating back to the early 1800's.

http://ask.yahoo.com/20010601.html

Ah i see , i get you know , but this is the first time i heard this phrase lol.

Anyways tks for the help everyone , we can consider this case close :D:

Hey guys, firstly Happy Chinese New Year , hope the year of the Snake will bring prosperity to you all :sillygrin

Anyways , finally went and exchanged my Corsair Vengeance RAM , installed it , ran MemTest86 , 2 stick at the time too , had settings at XMP.

It passed flawlessly , no errors. So far so good. But i guess we can't really tell if everything it's fine till we do some gaming. But i think everything be alright :sunglasse

Guess i can go on trusting with Corsair brand , Cheers :winking:!

One thing i wanted to ask , usually RAM if the timing is 9-9-9-24 , i mean the last one usually be 24 , but why some people had it set to 27 instead ?

o 0 im used to seeing 1333 and 1600 , those above that have the weirdest timing ever !

Anyways , i been playing Witcher 2 so far no problem , runs smoothly , i guess so far so good.

Now in the matter of PSU , i plan to get a new PSU , but are you aware that the new HX series the 650W are affected with a bad fan problem ? I wanted to get the 650W one...but look at this = 0

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=114828

It seems like from what i read mostly only 650W is affected , the 750W aren't but i won't need 750W that much and its 100 bucks more here for a 750W ( in my currency ) which is alot more expensive.

Many are even bought recently too ! So far Corsair haven't recall this bad batch of PSU ?

gh0st47,

If you keep going by youtube videos your never going to buy another product in your life. Corsair sells upwards of 100,000 PSU's a MONTH. So yes your going to see issues here and there and some more so than with others. So even if you took ALL the complaints or issues you could find and put them together compared to the amount sold the percentage of affected units is quite small. Most users do not have any issues at all.

There will be no recall and there are no bad batches.

i would like to add to the above comment

if you see how much products we ship to customers you will know that only a small number of products come back via rma

off course products can fail.. if the ups guy accidentaly drops the item really hard or static electricity hits the product it can be damaged easily

we allways try to insure that you get the best products

for intance if we see damaged boxes from the factory we allways re check the product to insure the quality of it

and if something do happens we allways try to solve the problem for you guys

that being said i think you should still go for the 650 watt psu

i dont think there will be a problem and i hope you will enjoy the corsair products

gh0st47,

If you keep going by youtube videos your never going to buy another product in your life. Corsair sells upwards of 100,000 PSU's a MONTH. So yes your going to see issues here and there and some more so than with others. So even if you took ALL the complaints or issues you could find and put them together compared to the amount sold the percentage of affected units is quite small. Most users do not have any issues at all.

There will be no recall and there are no bad batches.

i would like to add to the above comment

if you see how much products we ship to customers you will know that only a small number of products come back via rma

off course products can fail.. if the ups guy accidentaly drops the item really hard or static electricity hits the product it can be damaged easily

we allways try to insure that you get the best products

for intance if we see damaged boxes from the factory we allways re check the product to insure the quality of it

and if something do happens we allways try to solve the problem for you guys

that being said i think you should still go for the 650 watt psu

i dont think there will be a problem and i hope you will enjoy the corsair products

What you guys said it's quite true....i will have some time to think about it then, tks

Archived