Corsair Community

H80i radiator screw threads broken

markshim

Hi guys,

I've had my h80i about a month and 6 days now. Today I tried to fit the corsair fans that came with it to see what they are like, I have been using a typhoon.

My problem is now 2 of the radiator screws will not screw back in they just keep turning loose, the threads in the radiator screw holes have gone and I can't use them at all.

I have tried spare screws and still don't work so it's deffenently the threads in the rad.

I bought the h80i from overclockers UK, can I ram it with them or do I do it with corsair?

Any help plz

hi there,

well i bought it from them on the 12 november so it just over 28 days. i have asked them yet but i will be ringing tomorrow. if they say no can i RMA it with corsair and get them to send my a new one plz ?

you should be able to replace it where bought it ,if not you can place an rma thru corsair listed here or call for an advanced rma

you can install skype for toll free calling.

http://www.corsair.com/support/technicalsupport/

i don`t have a web cam so can`t use skype :(

will i be able to get a h80i sent to me first or do i have to send my one to them first? because i will be without a pc for ages if i do.

also overclockers uk don`t have any in stock

for advanced rma where they send one first,you will need to call them to arrange that,you also need to have a credit card for this procedure

whats the number to call them from the uk ?

I cannot give any good help with getting a replacement unit. Just to say that I also got ripped out screwthreads.

It is a weakness of the unit. I think the material is aluminium or certainly not hard enough.

Also the standard mounting of the unit leads to such problems. Standard mounting would be putting the 120mm fan on the unit, then positioning it in the case, then insert the screws. If it is not perfectly aligned, and you insert the screws and start tightening before the screw is inserted 100%, then you easily get ripped out screwthread.

hi there,

well overclockers uk said they would refund it for me but everywhere is out of stock of the h80i. do corsair know that there is a problem with the threads and mounting of the h80i ? because alot of people are having the same problem as me.

Yep, the metal they used is very soft and can't take much pressure.

I was turning the female thumb over that hexagon support screw to fix the block and it broke off as if it was all rusted and brittle. I'd to improvise with real steel screws, but it's not sitting properly over the CPU and the pressure applied over the 4 screws are not exactly the same.

also now the led light on my pump has gone from white to blue and now it has started to blink. getting dull then bright, i have tried changing the colour with corsair link but i can`t get it back to white and no matter what colour i change it too it still blinks like its going to give out.

this is such poor quality, was this model even tested ? when i put my new one in all this going to happen again, not happy

do corsair know that there is a problem with the threads and mounting of the h80i ? because alot of people are having the same problem as me.

A lot of people have issues with properly tightening screws then...

You and all the others probably have been over tightening them and now your are blaming Corsair for your own mistakes...

A lot of people have issues with properly tightening screws then...

You and all the others probably have been over tightening them and now your are blaming Corsair for your own mistakes...

What you saying is nonsense. The metal used is soft.

Also, some screws need not be so strong, like the ones to attach fans, but the ones used to secure the block on the cpu must be very strong to hold the pressure and they are not. Even my previous standard cheap cooler came with stainless steel screws to fix the heatsink to the mobo.

• Corsair Employee
Guy's we are looking into this now and until we have all the facts there is no pint in blaming anyone especially your self, we will take care of you and get the unit replaced, if you have had the unit for less than thirty days just let our customer service know and request for prepaid shipping.

• 1 year later...

hi guys,

i know its a bit old thread but same thing happened to me after i changed my case and then after a while my fans. At first 2 screwthreads and now all 4 of them, i cant fasten my radiator anymore.. have you come to a solution to this? I only have h80i for about 3 months and its a same because other than that, and the fans.. it was doing its job well..

Guy's we are looking into this now and until we have all the facts there is no pint in blaming anyone especially your self, we will take care of you and get the unit replaced, if you have had the unit for less than thirty days just let our customer service know and request for prepaid shipping.

Not to be arrogant nor ignorant, but I really think that these products need to go through much more extensive testing before being sent out. The devices have had many sort of "batch" issues in the past with things ranging from pump failure to fan noise, LED failure and now the screws in the radiator. It is understandable that doing even more testing than what is currently done costs a lot of money, but I think in comparison to the higher RMA rates it might be more profitable... (pardon my ignorance if I am wrong)?

My reasoning is that these coolers are closed loop, meaning that the target market is people who want high performance, but either aren't technical enough or just don't have the time (or are lazy) or money to make their own water cooled system. This is the first time I am RMA-ing a device and I somewhat find it scary.

Ok, I've been building computers since 1994 (my first was a 486DX2-66 with 4 Megabytes (not Gigabytes mind you) of RAM and a 128 Megabyte HD. Don't talk to me about "overtightening" screws or not knowing how to install things. I installed a H80i and had to remove it 3 times for various reasons. After the 2nd removal, 2 screw holes in the radiator were no longer accepting of the default screws and after the 3rd removal, a 3rd screw hole was stripped.

I'm almost thankful the pump has failed (rpm of ~300 max) and so Corsair has accepted an RMA on the unit.

Corsair, you need to discuss this issue with your manufacturer.

Archived