Corsair Community

Vengeance 2000 Microphone problem

Scrooge

That definitely sounds like a grounding issue with your system. I brought it up in another thread, but Tesla, try using the headset somewhere else at another location to see if it persists.

I tried the headset out on my laptop, the static only came by when touching certain parts of the back of the laptop or the laptop charging wire. Anyways, as for my PC, I seem to have found a 'solution'. If you stop yourself from touching any wires/metal with current, avoid having your charging cable touch them as well, and plug the headset into a front USB port, then the noise is drastically reduced. After this, I got curious so I started touching other things in my room with the charging cable, and here are the ones that produced the most 'static noise'.

1) Rear IO ports, PSU, GFX card

2) Desk

3) Wires for other devices (such as surround sound, printer cables, etc.)

4) Corsair K90 Keyboard

5) Satellite speakers

6) Right of my PC, the area behind the motherboard tray and where cable management is done

Is this an issue that can be fixed/reduced on Corsair's side, as it seems like other headsets don't seem to have this problem to such a degree. Or is this just something that comes along naturally with wireless headsets?

Either way, I hope in the future, Corsair recommends others to check this first, rather than immediately suggesting a RMA.

Edit : I know this is completely irrelevant to the topic at hand, but does George Makris only work on Corsair cases, or does he work on all Corsair products?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Corsair Employee

This is not a common issue at all with the Vengeance 2000. Since you all tried a different cable and it does not resolve the problem, there may be something with the headset itself. We'll need to be able to reproduce it in the lab and we'd need some samples so if anyone wants to RMA, let me know so I can get it to our engineering team.

As for Mr. Makris, he only does Cases and Cooling.

This is not a common issue at all with the Vengeance 2000. Since you all tried a different cable and it does not resolve the problem, there may be something with the headset itself. We'll need to be able to reproduce it in the lab and we'd need some samples so if anyone wants to RMA, let me know so I can get it to our engineering team.

As for Mr. Makris, he only does Cases and Cooling.

It would be my pleasure to help you guys out, as long as I get a shipping label this time around. :)

Give Makris my gratitude for being a great man, and for creating an absolutely outstanding case for custom builders. Also, throw in something about his hair being gorgeous and awe-inspiring ;P

Case #5512079

Edit - Wait... Are the line of Vengeance 2000's showed at CES only to give information on the Dolby update? I suppose what I am trying to get at is, are structural/material changes being made to the headset? Although this is my second pair, it is already starting to lightly crack... I'd like to hold off on the RMA if anything is happening to address this in a new revision of the headset, at least in the foreseeable future.

• Corsair Employee

The Vengeance 2000's at CES are no different than what you all have already. They were just used to announce the driver update.

Tesla, do you still have the box for your headset? If you do, let me know the lot code on the UPC (it'll start with 12 or 13).

• 1 month later...

Hello there!

I have had the Corsair headsett for awhile and while the headsett itself is great it does have some very big issues it needs to adress I think. Luckily RAM GUY here seems to be very nice when it comes to the support so I thought that I would give this place a shot.

I bought the headsett last summer as an upgrade from another brand. I used it quite alot but I am always very carefull with these things as they are quite expensive. The headsett I bought started crack up on the black plastic on the side. I just ended up using electrical tape to keep it together. Then the other side broke. More electrical tape! Then it came to the point where it almost shattered.

I opened up an RMA and they told me that the could send me a new one after I sent this one to them. yaaaaaaay.... more time with my old headsett with cables hanging all over the place....yyaaaaay... not.

So I sent them the headsett. Waited around 2 weeks for them to send me a new one.

I got the new headsett, charged it untill it had a green light and then started using it. Next I was about to charge it I got this error that everyone here has been talking about. A loud noise exactly like the one linked in the main post (I think it was the main post).

Now since I've had quite a bad time with the custommer support I am hoping that RAM GUY could help me with this. I would love to send this back to you to possibly test it whatever but PLEASE send me a new one before I send this one back.

I have my old RMA number here. If you are interested in helping me out RAM GUY then send me a PM asking for it.

Thanks

EDIT:

I forgott to menton that the noise dissapears when touching the metall case of my computer.

• Corsair Employee

I can't PM you Thomja because you cannot PM me back. However two questions for you:

1.) Did your old headset have this problem?

2.) Does the issue happen on a different system in a different location? If the sound goes away when you touch the case, I wonder if it is a grounding issue similar to what I find on laptops.

I can't PM you Thomja because you cannot PM me back. However two questions for you:

1.) Did your old headset have this problem?

2.) Does the issue happen on a different system in a different location? If the sound goes away when you touch the case, I wonder if it is a grounding issue similar to what I find on laptops.

I do recall my old headsett having this problem aswell but it was so small that you barely noticed it. Now I can hear it loud and clear. My friends in skype can also hear it. Everything is grounded here I think. The setup is exactly the same as I had with my other vengeance that I sent it to you.

I can confirm this as well. You just need to connect the shield of the usb cable to the shield of a hub, then the noise is starting. If you ground yourself, while loading its also almost gone. Crazy, cause between the ground i use (a 19" Rack) and the usb cableshield are only just 0.05 Ohm. Other thing i found, if you just put only the usb shield to ground, the sound starts. If you then hit yourself the usb shield, its gone. So i guess the problem isnt the shield itself, more a potential difference between the human wearing this headset and ground...

Any ideas?

Edit: To hear this, you need to Switch on the windows loopback (cause the hardware loopback is too quiet to hear).

Regards,

Andreas

On my current V2000 i also experience this issue with buzzing/humming sound while charging the headset and with the mic in down state. And if i touch the metal case of my computer the buzzing/humming will be significant lower in volume, it will still persist.

I had another V2000 that cracked and i RMA it, on that headset i had no problem whatsoever with buzzing/humming sound while charging (with the mic in down state) and iam using the same setup with my current V2000 as i did with the cracked one i RMAd.

I have tested the headset on different computers with the same resulting buzzing/humming sound.

So i suppose it back to RMA it again, but i'd like it possible to have another V2000 sent to me before i send the one i have in. Because otherwise i would be sitting without an headset for about 2-3 weeks.

On my current V2000 i also experience this issue with buzzing/humming sound while charging the headset and with the mic in down state. And if i touch the metal case of my computer the buzzing/humming will be significant lower in volume, it will still persist.

I had another V2000 that cracked and i RMA it, on that headset i had no problem whatsoever with buzzing/humming sound while charging (with the mic in down state) and iam using the same setup with my current V2000 as i did with the cracked one i RMAd.

I have tested the headset on different computers with the same resulting buzzing/humming sound.

So i suppose it back to RMA it again, but i'd like it possible to have another V2000 sent to me before i send the one i have in. Because otherwise i would be sitting without an headset for about 2-3 weeks.

My thoughts exactly

Hi,

Like many people i have the same trouble, i have make an RMA and send the vengeance to corsair in Netherlands.

Week later receive a new pair but problem is still there, i contact them once again & corsair have make an UPS request for take up (Honestly, because fortunately for the price ...) & again send me a new pair.

But unfortunately, problem is still there, so what is this problem ?

I test it on my laptop too & this problem persist.

I'm tired to try to understand, i try so many thing to hope fixing this but nothing work !

SO PLEASE ! Only One Thing can FIX THAT ! Add an option to disable loopback ! :!:

Thanks

Edit :

Forget to say Corsair support after i say the second pair don't work too, respond me like 1 week after i ask for answer... Not pro at all.

Like for the second pair i ask them to test it before send me back the headset but I got the answer much later after receive the defective new one.

Like support receive part & immediately send new one without test it or something else. Unlucky i am ?

My headset had this same problem. Grounding yourself does cause it to go away slightly, so that got me thinking. I checked the wall outlet and what did I find?

You know how some people like to keep their cell phone charger plugged in to the wall when their phone isn't even charging? Well this was my problem. I simply unplugged the cell phone charger and the problem was gone. I could now talk to my buddies on Ventrilo without them hearing my loud buzz through my microphone.

So my suggestion to you people with this problem is to check your surge protector/power strip, wall outlets that you currently have your laptop/desktop plugged into.

Hope this was of some help to anyone with this problem.

Thats a good idea. I will try this when I am back home.

It could be its coming from an active powered Hub. It may come from

there - hope it will... But what i found out was the fact, if you ISOLATE

the ground from the usb cable (sticked in the headset), the sound is kinda gone. Or when you ground yourself. So I still think its a static difference between the body wearing the headset and ground of the usb cable....

But I will recheck it, pulling the USB-Hub Power Supply from the wallet. Maybe this one stray a bad ground in.

Regards,

Andreas

Problem solved, earth connector.

If you want to know if is the same issue, just touch when u charge ur headset the metallic skull of your computer tower.

Or the earth connector of your power strip with your headset on ur head.

But how you solved it? If you touch it, the sound is gone. You now glued a groundcable around your arm wrists? :)

What i like to try is to cut away the shield from a usb cable. Im kinda sure the sound will also be gone, when the Headset got no Connection to ground. When i pull the usb loading cable, its gone. It is back, when i start to ground only the usb shield.

Can Corsair confirm, the usb cable is only needed for the 5V and the Data+ and Data- Lines are useless? Or is there any communication managed directly over usb, when its sticked into a usb port via cable? If its just the +5V and ground, i would try to leave the shield alone, ungrounded and see if the sound is gone.

Edit: Okay. No joy with isolating the shield. It seems the sound is introduced via the usb ground line, not the shield. What i really dont understand is the fact, when i ground myself - it is completly gone. Sure, to hear it i switch the micro to 100% and the Headset itself is kinda loud too - but the bummmmmmm is annoying, cause others can hear it too.

Regards,

Andreas

Here in Germany, we mostly got a seperate line, that is connected to earth in the power outlet, L, N and PE (PE and N are on ground Level). I tried to connect the usb shield to earth, no change. I Isolate the usb shield from the connector, no Change. When i put the usb shield to ground, the sound is starting. If i then touch the shield - its gone.

So the solution for me would be to wear a antistatic kit connected to ground. Then its perfect.. :)

My case is on ground level, i measured it.

Regards,

Andreas

Archived