Corsair Community

Vengeance 2000 Microphone problem

Scrooge

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I stick a cable to the earth connector of the power strip to a water pipe leading down to the earth.

The amount of grounded outlets in our apartment is equal to the amount of ****s I give about your reply.

No but seriously... I have none...

• 1 month later...

Sorry to awaken this almost old thread. Where do we stand on this one now? I got my new headset today and have the same problem. What I have tested so far:

I have "the buzz" when charging with different usb cables from a stationary pc with the mic down. The power outlet is not grounded. If i touch a grounded object like a radiator, the buzz increase. When i tuch the computer case it almost dissapears. Nothing noticable happens if i ground the case to the radiator.

If i charge from my laptop without having the laptop connected to a power outlet, the buzz dissapears.

If i have the buzz going and touch the microphone with my hand the buzz sound increase alot.

edit: Phone charger also gives the Buzz, but less than the usb.

So right now im sitting here with a cable connecting my body to the computer case, which is kind of ridiculous. Any fixes found yet? Can I RMA it and expect a working headset without the Buzz problem? Did the information I gave here help in any way?

//Tobias

• Corsair Employee
Sorry to awaken this almost old thread. Where do we stand on this one now? I got my new headset today and have the same problem. What I have tested so far:

I have "the buzz" when charging with different usb cables from a stationary pc with the mic down. The power outlet is not grounded. If i touch a grounded object like a radiator, the buzz increase. When i tuch the computer case it almost dissapears. Nothing noticable happens if i ground the case to the radiator.

If i charge from my laptop without having the laptop connected to a power outlet, the buzz dissapears.

If i have the buzz going and touch the microphone with my hand the buzz sound increase alot.

edit: Phone charger also gives the Buzz, but less than the usb.

So right now im sitting here with a cable connecting my body to the computer case, which is kind of ridiculous. Any fixes found yet? Can I RMA it and expect a working headset without the Buzz problem? Did the information I gave here help in any way?

//Tobias

Unfortunately I don't have a fix for your problem because it's a grounding issue as the headset is sensitive to your environment, and not really an issue with the headset itself.

I have this buzzing problem too when i charge my vengence 2000 and have the mic boom down, my old pair that was replaced due to cracked plastic did not have this problem and I have the exact same setup now as with the other ones.

I have tested this grounding issue and I found that when I touch my computercase the buzzing is lower but still there, the closer to the headset I touch the metal ground on the cable the lower it gets, I put a small flat skrewdriver against the metal on the cable just at the chargingport of the headset and the buzzing is gone completly as long as I touch the metal of the screwdriver with my fingers, if I let go it starts again.

I tried changing to a different cable but same result, I tried an external charger but with the same result.

However if I put my fingers on the end of the mic when it is buzzing it gets louder, and same if i ground myself by touching my radiator that is waterheated.

My wallsocket is not grounded, but as I did not have this problem with my old headset it is wierd.

• 1 month later...
I sadly have the same issue. I just bought this headset and when i logged on to skype and tested my mic, i had to mute all the time because of this buzzing niose. I tried recording my own audio and it is extremely loud and not only when i'm charging. Still the noise get's reduced alot by touched my metal pc case, but noone wants to sit and hold their computer all day.... :(

I have the same issue when I use the headset at home, however, I believe this to be not a simple ground loop issue, it seems to me that it involves other types of EM interference as well.

At work I tested the headset. while charging I observed the following:

1 - The ground loop problem does not happen, there is no noticeable change in sound while charging.

2 - The headset gets EM interference if it gets too close to a wi-fi network (in this case a 802.11b/g/n access point).

At home I get the noise on the mic problem if:

1 - I plug in the headset to my usb to charge it.

2 - If when the headset is not plugged in, I touch my computer case or any other grounded metalized surfaces and move my hand close to the microphone.

The noise does not occur if:

1 - I touch my computer while the headset is charging.

2 - I avoid touching my computer while the headset is not charging.

Differences from home computer to work computer:

1 - Work computer is not nearby any 801.11b/g/n network adapters.

2 - Work computer has the same processor, memory, VGA and OS as home computer, differing only in PSU which at work is a Corsair 500W and at home its a Fortrek 500W(this could be it).

3- Work computer is plugged in to a 20KVA nobreak with grounding solution compliant with international standards, while home computer is plugged in with a bunch of stuff in a 700VA (somewhat overloaded) power stabilizer with no grounding to speak of.

4 - Home computer is near to 4 major sources of EM interference (speakers, wireless phone, wireless mouse/keyboard, and a 801.11b/g/n router).

5 - Home is near an electrical substation (about 1.2 km).

Things tested at home:

1 - Ground lift on usb (by means of a usb power adapter)

2 - Inverting the polarity of the outlet (made noise worse)

3 - Turning off wireless.

4 - Turning of all the devices connected to the same outlet except for monitor mouse and keyboard.

5 - Ferrite bead on the USB cable that connects the USB dongle (made noise more tolerable).

6 - Ferrite bead on the USB cable used for charging the headset (no noticeable changes in the noise).

Things to test:

1 - USB filter.

2 - Professional Stabilizer(those aimed at the high-end audio market).

3 - Changing the computer PSU.

4 - Disassembly of the microphone boom in order to replace wiring and add ferrite beads directly to the microphone wire.

I believe this to be a inherent failure in the mic boom design, I conclude this because I have two other USB based headsets (Razer Megalodon and Sony Pulse) and countless more P2 based headsets, and the only one that presented this issue is the Corsair Vengeance 2000, I'm not sure as what causes this issue to present itself, as many factors exist, the only thing I can say for sure is that corsair should have tested this headset in a wider array of possible scenarios.

All said and done I still think this is one of the best audio products I have ever had the pleasure to use, and Corsair's take on the audio market seems promising as long as it keeps up the good work with customer service.

• 5 months later...

Just got my Vengeance 2100 today, a great upgrade from the 1500 I thought. But alas I also have the humming sound and static on the mic when it's down and it goes away when I touch my case or a metal strip on my PS3 nearby.

Firstly I can appreciate that this is an environmental issue that might be hard to prevent, but hell even I don't know to what degree you could attempt to safe guard against this.

However secondly I go through the forums and I see this has been a recurring issue for nearly a year now with the 2000 series, which begs the question why hadn't it been solved or further looked into yet rather than simply telling everyone to RMA their headsets? I'm not a mad customer, I loved my 1500 to pieces and bar this issue I'm really liking the 2100 but it's fairly annoying that I'm going to have to go and take some steps to ground myself while I'm at my desk just to use an already pricey headset.

I don't suppose anyone has any DIY or budget means as to how I can ground myself but still be able to type on the keyboard and use my mouse unhindered (aka I'm not going to type with one hand and have my other permanently attached to a metal rod or my case)

Thanks.

Archived