Corsair Community

TX850 (V1) possible issues

Momboman1777

I've had this PSU since july 2010. And everything's been running smoothly.

Recently, I got some new hardware from Newegg, but everything is just crashing down. My new motherboard (ASUS P8P67) and CPU (Intel i5 2500k) fried after just a few days, for no apparent reason. A puff of smoke came from the motherboard, when I powered on the computer one day, like I always do.

Both processor and motherboard was brand new, and I had to send it back to newegg, who replaced everything because it was clearly faulty.

Now I think my graphics card is acting up as well. When I play demanding games such as Modern Warfare 3 and Crysis, I get a weird kind of crash. It's not a complete crash so to speak. But oddly enough, it's not doing this when I'm playing battlefield 3.

The system is still running in the background. I know, because I'll be chatting with my friends on skype, but the monitor just goes blank, and says that it doesn't get a signal anymore. I can't tab out, I cant open the task manager with ctrl+alt+del. There's nothing I can do, other than doing a hard reset.

The reason why I'm blaming the PSU, is that I think its highly unlikely that all of this brand new hardware can be faulty all at once. I talked to a friend. We've been working with this problem for days, and just can't come up with a solution. But for now I blame the PSU.

Has anyone had something similar happen? My new system is of course more power hungry than the old system. The old system was an AMD dual-core setup, with a Radeon 5770 graphics card, and 4 gigs of RAM. No problems at all.

I checked the Windows error log, but it just says that the system was unexpectedly shut down, since I had to manually reset the system.

All drivers are up to date, and I even tried beta drivers. Nothing software related seems to solve the problem. I've been editing power saving settings too. And lowering details in games. No results.

I'm asking on the forums before taking more desperate measures. Like returning the power supply to Corsair. Since I'm not 100% certain it's the PSU that is at fault.

The christmas spirit is dying here in the household because of this!! :(:

Any chance you're running afterburner or another monitoring program... These type of programs have caused issues with crashing/hard locks on 6000 series cards for me.

Edit: Sorry I just saw you had a 570, I'd think if bf3 works fine then your issue is not the psu. Have you done a clean driver install; driver sweeper in safe mode ?

...Hope it's ok to put in my 2 cents and try to help other members as I'm a very recent member ? Not sure how the forum feels about this.

...Hope it's ok to put in my 2 cents and try to help other members as I'm a very recent member ? Not sure how the forum feels about this.

All input is valuable, One person may have something to add another may have misssed. It's all good HOODedassult, it what makes forums helpful! :)

• Corsair Employee

This statement would suggest it may not be the PSU like what HOODedAssault suggested.

Have you tried any of his suggestions?

Now I think my graphics card is acting up as well. When I play demanding games such as Modern Warfare 3 and Crysis, I get a weird kind of crash. It's not a complete crash so to speak. But oddly enough, it's not doing this when I'm playing battlefield 3.

I tried running MSI kombustor for about 30 minutes or so, to stress test my GPU. It did not go higher than 70degress celsius. And the system did NOT crash in the duration. It ran completely stable. And i ran numerous tests, in various resolutions, to make the system crash. But it didn't. No matter what i throw at it, it only crashes during games, for some reason or another.

Kombuster and furmark are basically the same and gtx 500 cards r made to throttle in those tests. Your likely to see it in furmark there will be a significant raise in temps to start then the throttle kicks in and temps drop about 10° and stay there for the remainder of the test. OCCT doesn't seam to be affected by this throttling and pushes 500s much harder than any other test I've seen. Not suggesting you use it, just stating facts :D:. My point is using kombuster or furmark essentially tells you nothing cuz it will throttle so bad ur temps will be lower then games, meaning it is not pushing the gpu. Sounds like drivers to me, run driver sweeper in safe mode to delete old drivers and install latest drivers. If that doesn't work go back 1 driver package after doing the same driver sweeper process. Do you have windows completely up to date as well ?

Archived