Corsair Community

16 GB Flash Voyager USB 3.0 stopped working

cristi222

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep, this thread is sad... especially for a company like Corsair and its industry reputation.. I've had corsair ram sticks before in DDR1 & 2, great performers but these USB 3.0 flash drives are just plain unreliable.

I have as a lot of people do here, Flash Voyager USB 3.0 & 32GB capacity. Only few months old..

Same issues... 32 bit Windows 7 only sees it as "Innostor NAND Flash USB drive" in device manager and YES... tried formatting in Cmd prompt & disk managment but just fails everytime... Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!

My 2 bob worth....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Is it possible to get a refund from our retailer instead of having it replaced/RMA'd?

I have had my 32GB Flash Voyager replaced 3 times so far - I can't trust the drive at all - it's not used for anything important but I can't trust that I will be able to get at the data on the other side.

Sent my RMA and received the FV USB 3.0 back quickly. Thanks a lot!

Problem is... I've experienced a lot of issues with USB pci cards mounting VIA chips. Very often a lot of USB keys and external HDD have problems with this chipset. I usually fix the issue installing a pci USB card with a NEC chip instead of VIA, when the damage isn't hard enough to freeze the peripheral completely.

Anyone else found a similar issue around?

• 1 month later...

Having the same problem. Drive not seen at all on some computers, others load drivers for Innostor but when I click on 'Removeable Drive D:' it says to please insert a disk. When the drive is inserted into the USB port it immediately starts flasshing really fast, and just keeps flashing. Sucks that I'm going to lose all my data off this POS, my last backup was about a month ago and I've put stuff I need on there since then.

I thought that maybe the USB connector had popped a solder joint, since the flimsy rubber body lets the connector move around when inserting and removing. So I cut the body off and the solder joints look fine. Now I've probably screwed my warranty.

Lessons learned: Backup daily or weekly, and don't buy any more Corsair products.

• 2 weeks later...

Same here, on MSI z77a-gd80, windows pro x64.

USB 3 is no go with my GT 16 GB usb3 (it was never seen as 'innostor" by the way)

Tried all motherboard native usb3 and 'external' ports on pc case.

With MS drivers and intels extensible drivers. BIOS is up to date 1.2 wich is the special "windows 8 " update.

In bios all usb options are enabled.

Sometimes the stick is found, sometimes not.

But usb2 speeds, then lost in session, the lost part = every session...

• Corsair Employee
Does the drive work properly in a USB 2.0 Port? if the answer is yes then I am sorry but that is a driver issue and you may need to wait for an updated driver from the USB Controller manufacturer to support Windows 8. If the drive is not working in any port then please use the link on the left and request an RMA and we can replace it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just here as another statistic. 16GB Flash Voyager presented itself as read only after 2 days.

After about 20 attempts to unplug and re-plug it, I was able to format it using Windows 7 partition management tool and it behaved well for 18 more days, but today at the 3 week mark it is showing as "no media" and blinking repeatedly in 12 flash sequences.

RMA is pointless (shipping from Canada would set me back half of what it would cost to buy a reliable replacement, and from the posts on here I have zero confidence in any replacement) and impossible anyway (sensitive data). I'm left with destroying and throwing it in the garbage, and then trying to forget the several hours I've wasted attempting to make it work - unfortunately my own memory of this is much easier to recall than the data on this Voyager.

• Corsair Employee

I am sorry about that, how long have you had the drive?

If its with in the return period of your reseller you can try and replace it through them. If they will not or cannot help you I would use the link on the left and then contact our customer service by phone and see if they can help you. The number is listed under contact on the main site.

• 5 weeks later...

As described in various other posts here I have the same problem with my 32MB Corsair Voyager USB 3.0. Used it about 3 times and in the process formatted in NFTS and FAT32 to transfer MAC to PC etc. Have tried everything in about 6 different computers MAC and PC and none of them will mount it. Just comes up as Innostar NAND or whatever.

I thought Corsair was going to be a decent brand but reading this forum it seems obvious that they need to perform some damage limitation and do a product recall on these things. It certainly won't be worth me paying to post it from UK to USA.

• 2 months later...

Just to report another failed Corsair Voyager 3.0 USB 32GB.

Lasted approx 2 months of very low usage. Suddenly developed similar problems to others here with not being recognised, tried 2.0 and 3.0 ports, diffent PCs and OS, lunix and cmd 'list disk' fixes but still not recognised.

Light flashes and i can access the drive if i hold it at a very odd angle - so Id agree with this being a mechanical issue on the board. Epic FAIL for a usb marketed as a 'Tough' casing - its too flexible.

No, I do not want to fill in a RMA. Im in the UK and I dont want another Flash disk i cannot rely on.

The product is clearly faulty. It would be nice to see Corsair being more proactive on this issue.

I will not be buying Corsair again and advising friends and family to avoid.

I have had a 16GB Survivor for approx a year. Today it just stopped working properly. I have treid three seperate computers. All I get is a rapidly flashing blue light, it "Installs" the driver, over and over, but won't show up on the "My computer" area. It isn't an issue of getting a refund and replacement, it's that I have very important data I need. HELP!!!???

• Corsair Employee
I would try searching for how to recover files on a flash drive at http://www.snapfiles.com and try one of the free utilities listed on that site. But I am sorry we can only replace the drive under an RMA but I would try formatting the drive with the format utility from http://www.sdcard.org before sending the drive to see if it can restore the format..

After 19 months of very light use, my Flash Voyager USB 3.0 16Gb is simply no longer usable (is not seen as a valid drive by any PC I try it in and cannot be formatted). I have already requested and received an RMA and have sent the drive back to Corsair. I never thought I would have an issue with a Corsair product (this is my first problem ever). Oh well. Let's see how the RMA goes.

• 2 months later...

I also have Flash Voyager USB 3.0 16GB USB Flash Drive. I was trying to restore OS X mountain lion on this flash drive using disk utility from OS X snow leopard 10.6.8 hackintosh. Partway through the process, I received an error, so I ejected it. I tried to plug it back in and partition/erase the flash drive again, disk utility froze, so I kept trying to erase the flash drive but disk utility kept on freezing. Finally I used some command prompt commands in windows 8 pro and the erasing process still froze and resulted in errors.

Then, last night it stopped working. In command prompt, it says there is no media. Ever since last night, I have been trying to make the flash drive 'online' in command prompt, but I'm still fairly new with cmd deeper-level commands, so I'm really lost what to do next. Please Help!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee
I also have Flash Voyager USB 3.0 16GB USB Flash Drive. I was trying to restore OS X mountain lion on this flash drive using disk utility from OS X snow leopard 10.6.8 hackintosh. Partway through the process, I received an error, so I ejected it. I tried to plug it back in and partition/erase the flash drive again, disk utility froze, so I kept trying to erase the flash drive but disk utility kept on freezing. Finally I used some command prompt commands in windows 8 pro and the erasing process still froze and resulted in errors.

Then, last night it stopped working. In command prompt, it says there is no media. Ever since last night, I have been trying to make the flash drive 'online' in command prompt, but I'm still fairly new with cmd deeper-level commands, so I'm really lost what to do next. Please Help!!

This is a sign of flash controller failure. Please submit RMA to have this drive replaced.

hi,

I've also got a 32GB Voyager GT that is "read only" and "not accessible".

I was using it at the time to back up my .pst files at work, and I can't RMA it without wiping it first.

Do you have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Huge breakthrough in this!

My voyager will not work on intel chipsets in windows 8. It will work with AMD chipsets in windows 8.

I had to format my intel windows 8 machine, and before I've run any updates, the drive works fine. I'm sure once I run all the windows updates that it will stop working. The drive worked when I bought it for several months until suddenly it stopped. I think its a windows patch. Drive works fine!

Archived