Corsair Community

Switching From IDE to AHCI Mode in WIN7/Vista

I'm confused about the following instructions since the corsair field updater is done in windows and not in the bios , can you point me to a link to the updater that you are referring to ? Thanks, by the way my bios is set to raid but I'm only using the single ssd as main disc and have fw 1.3 .. I sometimes get a lock up just before boot but it is very rare so would it be wise to leave well enough alone ..

If you are required to perform a firmware (FW) update in AHCI mode, and have been using RAID mode, there is no need to be concerned about this, it can be done very simply. Don't forget that when using the boot to DOS FW update method, you don't boot your usual copy of Windows, so any SATA mode changes will not affect Windows as long as you prevent it from booting. Have your FW update media ready (disk, USB drive), start or restart the PC and run the UEFI/BIOS. Change the SATA mode to AHCI, and then change the boot order so the FW update media is used first. If you are worried about booting into your OS in AHCI mode, just move your normal boot RAID volume to the bottom of the boot order. Save the changes and exit, but insert the FW update media first. Let the FW update complete, hopefully fine, and restart the PC. Get into the UEFI/BIOS again (DON'T forget this step!), reset your SATA mode to RAID, reset your boot order to the RAID volume, save and exit. You should see the Intel RAID Option ROM run during POST, and verify that all is correct. Keep your finger ready to start the UEFI/BIOS if something is not right.

So since i can't boot into windows to use the updater with the bios set to ahci , its in raid. I have to use the "BOOTABLE USB FLASH DRIVE TOOL" to update my firmware short of reinstalling windows with ahci mode enabled ? Thanks is the bootable usb flash drive tool the same as what is mentioned above as the boot to DOS FW update method ?

• Corsair Employee
I am sorry but that may not work either, you would have to create a Windows Live CD/DVD and use that to boot the system then you can do the Firmware update with the MB Controller set to AHCI. Or use another system to update the Firmware.

Thanks , So if I did install windows 7 with ahci enabled in the bios I would be good to use the regular updater ie: "corsair field updater" within windows as per instructions ....? Thanks for your time and patience......

• 2 months later...
I've used the Microsoft automated tool and also followed instructions from the other thread but I still cannot find any option for changing from IDE to AHCI mode in my bios, does anyone or has anyone done this on a Striker Extreme mobo ?

Is mine the same Z68 extreeme3 gen3

Archived