Corsair Community

Obsidian 650D pics

faulkton

My pictures suck, I'm sorry for the quality of the photos but my old camera plus really bad lighting just doesn't make for pretty!

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc113/kittysox_photos/DSC00587.jpg

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc113/kittysox_photos/DSC00592.jpg

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc113/kittysox_photos/DSC00609.jpg

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc113/kittysox_photos/DSC00594.jpg

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc113/kittysox_photos/DSC00579.jpg

And also I have much more elegant solution for my hdd's than the 5.25 adapters in the works and also a sleeve kit and noctua NH-C14 on the way. I just couldn't wait to put it together. And thanks faulkton for starting this thread, as it convinced me this was the case to have!

• Replies 625
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very interesting hard drive placement. I didn't even think about somebody like that. Might be better for acoustic dampening than putting the racks in right by the front intake. What noise blocker did you use?

What is in the bottom front right by the front intake fan under the little cover? I felt the screws underneath it and the hard drive cages go on top of it, but I couldn't figure out what exactly it is.

i used NB-Multiframe M12-S3HS fan mounted in the 5.25 hdd cooler and the rear exhaust. I didnt want anything in between the 200mm intake fan and the 570's. I still might add another on the floor blowing right at them, but idk it's really the top card that gets hot when pushed.

I also wanted to feed the SA with fresh air and shoot it right out the back and the bay cooler accomplishes that.

Under that cover is nothing. If you take it off its hollow. I used it to hide the box for the remote i used on the lights.

And also I have much more elegant solution for my hdd's than the 5.25 adapters in the works and also a sleeve kit and noctua NH-C14 on the way. I just couldn't wait to put it together. And thanks faulkton for starting this thread, as it convinced me this was the case to have!

Looks great!

I hope more people keep posting pics here!

I'm going to have to look into options for mounting HDDs in the optical bays if I can't get the noise under control. It's hard to figure everything out at the moment until I get the fan fix. So many options...

Is there a noticeable difference replacing the stock rear fan with the Noctua? Do you have it hooked up to the fan controller, or your motherboard?

Under that cover is nothing. If you take it off its hollow. I used it to hide the box for the remote i used on the lights.

Good to know. I'll see what I can do with it once I decide on everything else. I've never dealt with a case where there were so many possibilities.

I'm going to have to look into options for mounting HDDs in the optical bays if I can't get the noise under control. It's hard to figure everything out at the moment until I get the fan fix. So many options...

Here's the solution I came up with, very similar to faulktons. Should be here in a few days, I'll let you know if its quiet.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=26854

And that noctua is hooked up to the fan controller as are the mega flows and I'm sorry but I don't really have anything to compare it with as I never used the stock fans. But all in all the case on high is very quiet and cooling seems to be great, I was hoping since mine was a later shipped model it wouldn't have the noise issue but that was not the case.

Here's the solution I came up with, very similar to faulktons. Should be here in a few days, I'll let you know if its quiet.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=26854

And that noctua is hooked up to the fan controller as are the mega flows and I'm sorry but I don't really have anything to compare it with as I never used the stock fans. But all in all the case on high is very quiet and cooling seems to be great, I was hoping since mine was a later shipped model it wouldn't have the noise issue but that was not the case.

I can't imagine the Noctua being louder than the stock fan, so that sounds good to me. I have a case with the noise issues and am waiting for the fix as well, and currently I am only using the front and rear fans connected to my mobo. Not using the fan controller at all, nor am I using the top fan.

Very interested to hear how the hard drive mount kit works. I wonder how easily removable the fan holder is for that. I also wonder if a fan is even necessary for that in this case.

Something like that seems like it would let me shield hard drive noise better than keeping them in the HDD case in front of the intake fan.

Hey everybody's pulling out those hdd aircages, thought I was the only one, try keeping them on the floor and running into em with your foot ouch! How do you put up photos? Just drag and drop?;) Oh there is a photo box coooool. I know the guy that owns Performance PCs they are so close I order stuff and drive over to pick up, small world!;) I am on the beach side and Performance PCs is across the lagoon from me, Beautiful Florida Baby!

Hey everybody's pulling out those hdd aircages, thought I was the only one, try keeping them on the floor and running into em with your foot ouch! How do you put up photos? Just drag and drop?;)

I uploaded them to Tinypic after I had resized them, and then I copy pasta'd the forum code they give you after your upload is complete.

I don't have a problem with where they are in regards to airflow (or hurting my feet) but with them right next to the fan filter and my case is down and to the left of me, any noise generated comes in my direction. If I was to move them into a different bay, it seems like I would be able to shield or enclose them better.

I've dreamed for years of having a case that was the perfect balance of looks, cooling, and silence. It looks like this has the potential to be that case. It's hard being patient and trying to examine all the options.

Well I took some pics my build is really simple in comparison to what you guys put together but the rig is very very quiet 10dB or lower since I use it for my work it's right next to me all day on my desk! Will post em later today on the iPhone right now. Notice also everyone is using megaflows me too at least until the fix kit gets here! What is that an Intel stock cooler? Someone enlighten that person! Hurry while there is still time!;) Triple joe if you are wanting you new 650D to be really quiet I can help ya out!;)

Well I took some pics my build is really simple in comparison to what you guys put together but the rig is very very quiet 10dB or lower since I use it for my work it's right next to me all day on my desk!;) will post em later today on the iPhone right now. Notice also everyone is using megaflows me too at least until the fix kit gets here!;)

Looking forward to seeing what you've done. I don't think mine is particularly special by any means, but 10dB, wow, I'd love some of that.

i have used this....http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m248/lostsoldier3177/LL-EX-33B1B.jpg

in my 800d and keeps the drive very cool and very quiet as well.

well worth the money nd will be using it in my 650d when i get it.

Well I took some pics my build is really simple in comparison to what you guys put together but the rig is very very quiet 10dB or lower since I use it for my work it's right next to me all day on my desk! Will post em later today on the iPhone right now. Notice also everyone is using megaflows me too at least until the fix kit gets here! What is that an Intel stock cooler? Someone enlighten that person! Hurry while there is still time!;) Triple joe if you are wanting you new 650D to be really quiet I can help ya out!;)

Noctua nh-C14 is on the way and will be here well before I get my replacement b3 board. I was just to anxious to build inside the 650 to wait!

Nice! Got my 650D yesterday, just finished the build. Here we go:

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z225/Squeetard/P1000210.jpg

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z225/Squeetard/P1000211.jpg

Fit the whole system in with Zero Mods, no drilling or custom brackets. Bolt in Watercooling.

What size tubing are you using :confused:

I tried a lian li 5.25 fan mount without hdd cage and it wouldn't fit. It was too wide and I didn't want to dremel out the front of the 650. I also tried the lian li drive bezel and its too wide as well, but I think it will work if I dremel some of it off. Just a heads up to anyone thinking about using them.

Well, here’s my ultra-silent rig, the photos don’t look that great, the build looks so much better in person, not sure why, used a Canon 10MP. I know the wiring needs help, I am not even thinking of finalizing the cabling and tucking everything in until the fix kit arrives! It’s very simple in comparison to the type of rigs you guys have put together. I am using it mostly for office apps in my work, right next to me all day on my desk, so I needed it extremely quiet. It’s not a new build by any means, my memory is old, so is my mobo and processor, those will be changed out when the LGA2011 socket comes out later this year. When I heard about Sandy Bridge E and quad channel memory, the X58 platform just didn’t seem that appealing. I only purchased the Corsair AX850 PSU and the video card new for this new Obsidian. I have the entire rig running at 10dB or less, any disbelievers out there, I don’t want to take Mr. Faulkton’s thread off subject, but I would be happy to send you the many sorted details, it took a lot of time finding out just what works, but so worth it! What’s next? Corsair Link as soon as it is available with some white led lighting. Really want to retry the Corsair stock fans, they seem so, I will use a nice word, unsubstantial when you hold them in your hand, but I tried them with the controller on high, and they really move a lot of air. If they pass the 10dB test with the controller on low, then they’re IN! ;)

1.thumb.JPG.9907dc8e3c1daa732dee0b367e0da32d.JPG

2.thumb.JPG.427d4e7ffa79c7aa50b3f1bb7a288622.JPG

3.thumb.JPG.f785b9e1d705aee62c9a8bb1a3d4c68c.JPG

4.thumb.JPG.f54a26421db5aee680687cf0b7434514.JPG

5.thumb.JPG.a44ff1e7781e3c95dffb9000e3c0bed3.JPG

Well, here’s my ultra-silent rig, the photos don’t look that great, the build looks so much better in person, not sure why, used a Canon 10MP. I know the wiring needs help, I am not even thinking of finalizing the cabling and tucking everything in until the fix kit arrives! It’s very simple in comparison to the type of rigs you guys have put together. I am using it mostly for office apps in my work, right next to me all day on my desk, so I needed it extremely quiet. It’s not a new build by any means, my memory is old, so is my mobo and processor, those will be changed out when the LGA2011 socket comes out later this year. When I heard about Sandy Bridge E and quad channel memory, the X58 platform just didn’t seem that appealing. I only purchased the Corsair AX850 PSU and the video card new for this new Obsidian. I have the entire rig running at 10dB or less, any disbelievers out there, I don’t want to take Mr. Faulkton’s thread off subject, but I would be happy to send you the many sorted details, it took a lot of time finding out just what works, but so worth it! What’s next? Corsair Link as soon as it is available with some white led lighting. Really want to retry the Corsair stock fans, they seem so, I will use a nice word, unsubstantial when you hold them in your hand, but I tried them with the controller on high, and they really move a lot of air. If they pass the 10dB test with the controller on low, then they’re IN! ;)

I would actually like the sorted details.

My pictures suck, I'm sorry for the quality of the photos but my old camera plus really bad lighting just doesn't make for pretty!

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc113/kittysox_photos/DSC00587.jpg

Did you manage to cram two CM Megaflows in that case? If so, awesome and was it difficult?

To MeanBruce:

I registered just to ask you if you could post all your specs for your silent build (or PM me). I am obsessing over silence myself, I too use my PC for work, not games (Adobe Creative Suite CS5, Lightroom 3 mostly), and I really like the Corsair 650D case. The only thing holding me back is that there are no real reviews of how silent the case is, and mostly those stock 200mm fans. What did you use? The megaflows? What about your video card, it's not passively cool, how do you get 10dB with all that? Thanks!

Did you manage to cram two CM Megaflows in that case? If so, awesome and was it difficult?

Yup two 200mm megaflows and a 140mm noctua and they fit without any problems at all. But to use the front megaflow you have to remove the front hdd cage or build a bracket to allow it to be moved back about a half an inch.

OK htjunkie here is the vid card info:

Don’t want to take this awesome thread off topic, just a single entry then I will send the rest of the ultra-silent build info about 5pages via email or PM.

A Sidebar for Silent Enthusiasts:

I thought the video card would raise the most eyebrows, here is what I did: I purchased three video cards the Asus HD6850DirectCu, this Asus HD6870DirectCu, and an Asus GTX560Ti DirectCu2 all non-reference sent two back they were just too noisy. The HD6850 and 560Ti fans idled at 32% and 38% respectively in auto mode and made a lot of noise, I used the Asus SmartDoctor software to tweak the fans, in manual mode I was able to drop both of them to as low as 20% but then they both created this low frequency hum like a rumble sound, so no good. In contrast the Asus 6870DirectCu fan idles at 15% in auto mode even lower than the lowest manual setting of 20%. Why such a difference? I have no idea, but would guess it’s the extra-large (the card is very long) heat sink, thick aluminum top plate, and three 8mm heat pipes used to keep it cool. My Noctua CPU cooler only has 6mm heat pipes and they were considered massive when it was released. The card runs extremely quiet, my Noctua 140mm fan with coded blue inline resistor is rated at 10.6dB and the video card fan at idle and running office apps is the same or quieter. If I could not get the 10dB with any stock card/cooler plan B was a Prolimatech MK-13 video cooler modified with a solid copper block and a Noctua 120mm ULN (ultra-low noise) 6dB fan attached to it, which I have previously used. That would work, but look really bad in the 650D window, so luckily the Asus HD 6870DirectCu worked out, I love the card, and it even looks pretty cool(check the photos see what ya think). The other two cards were extremely noisy under the exact same conditions. Getting lots of air to the video card is also key, so removing the HDD cages that come with the 650D is a must and running just SSDs! ;) and yes two megaflows right now clear in the front with a black coded Noctua attenuator and solid black on top with a blue coded attenuator. The rest I’ll send PM or email!;)

Yup two 200mm megaflows and a 140mm noctua and they fit without any problems at all. But to use the front megaflow you have to remove the front hdd cage or build a bracket to allow it to be moved back about a half an inch.

Awesome! My plan was to remove all HDD cages and the plastic box they sit on. Guess I gotta go buy one now.

Archived