Corsair Community

Experiences with Mac OS X 10.6.6 and Corsair Performance III 256 SSD

Manuel_B

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the new MacBook is now at the retailer. They tested it with another SATA hard disc and were not able to complete the installation on the new hard disc. They reseted the SMC and PRAM and afterwards it had kernel panics :-(

They will send my Corsair SSD with the MacBook to Apple and see what the problem is. According to an employee of Intel it seems to be a problem with MacBook: http://communities.intel.com/message/119660#119656

So recommendation from me: do not use any SATA III disc in an Apple product until they officially support it.

Yeah, I got the MacBook back. Officially nothing was done nevertheless the SSD is now working and provides exceptional performance. I would expect that they exchanged some parts but weren't courage enough to tell me that Apple built in some bad parts.

Here are the results:

New MacBook Pro with brand new Corsair Performance 3 HDD:

http://db.xbench.com/merge.xhtml?doc1=526687

Old MacBook Pro with old HDD:

http://db.xbench.com/merge.xhtml?doc1=526686

Here are the Details:

New:

Disk Test

358.88—>

Sequential

Uncached Write

156.53 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write

411.70—>

232.94 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read

33.58 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read

600.64—>

301.88 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Random

719.30—>

Uncached Write

374.13—>

39.61 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write

704.45—>

225.52 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read

1793.94—>

12.71 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read

1097.55—>

203.66 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Old:

Disk Test

Sequential

Uncached Write

57.61 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write

56.85 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read

18.30 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read

56.03 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Random

Uncached Write

0.96 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write

21.57 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read

0.40 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read

18.47 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Conclusion:

Depending on what you measure the new HDD is 3 times to 10 times faster then the old one. The start up os amazing and programs start up in seconds.

Have a great week

Manuel

The disc is on its way to the netherlands. At the moment it is in Cologne and waits for transmission.

Actually I called the support and they said they will send out a replacement on monday. I don't really know if they understood my english. Nevertheless, I am now waiting for a new one and I can definitely say that it takes longer then promised by corsair.

Hello guys,

just to keep you in the loop. The third replacement disc also broke :-( It worked well for about 2 days.

If you ask me what I do with the disc. Basically I restore an 220 GByte backup and afterwards I am running a reindex with Spotlight.

It seems that this is far to much load for the Corsair disc.

I am quite curious if I am the only one who experiences so much failures.

A normal failure rate of a hard disc production line is 1.5% seems that for SSD it is much higher. Further vendor numbers and real numbers are quite different.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/129558-2/study_hard_drive_failure_rates_much_higher_than_makers_estimate.html

According to Avi Cohen, managing partner at the company, large notebook PC vendors get back 20 or 30 percent of the sold units because of either increased failure rates that occur in the flash-based storage drives, or because the customers are not pleased with the disks' performance. The report also claims that only 1 percent to 2 percent of notebooks are returned because of technical issues with conventional hard-disks.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Solid-State-Drives-Get-Astounding-Failure-Rates-Inside-Notebooks-81133.shtml

I will ask Corsair if they can me send two drives so I have at least one week a working computer.

Have a great weekend

Manuel

Hi Wired,

the same as the 2 times before. Suddenly the spinning wheel in Mac OS X started to spin but didn't stop for a long time. Then I checked the Activity Monitor but there was no IO activity.

Afterwards I rebooted my computer but it didn't start.

I already send the SSD back to Corsair to the netherlands. They told me I can reuse the RMA that I already have.

So if these numbers are not relevant anymore. Where can I get relevant numbers on failures rate on SATA 3 drives?

I would expect that the manufactures won't tell their real numbers.

It is also in my interested to get a running device. All the time when I got a new one it takes me about half a day to get it working again.

Thanks for your interest in this topic.

/Manuel

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

interesting experience

i have a macbook pro early 2011, and i'm looking for a good SSD 6Gbps for it. Corsair's SSD were on my list, but after this, i have to read and look a lot more, before choose one.

I don't want to wait 1-2 months for a replacement disc for RMA.

hope Corsair may use macbook's or any other Apple HW to test its products, so in that case, we can buy SSD or RAM, with more info. Considering that we're spending $400 or $500 for something that has to work just as it, with no effort or tweak.

Hi Marioace,

disc is still running and is delivering amazing speed.

Keep in mind that macbook pro early 2011 have problems with any SATA III discs.

The 2. and 3. replacements were a lot faster then the first one. In my opinion the job of corsair was ok. Even when the disc broke they replaced it 3 times without any discussion. They didn't ask me what I did or ask me if I could run any disc repairing tools.

Hope that helps

Manuel

• 1 month later...
Hi I have a new Macbook Pro early 11 (Sandy Bridge) and a Corsair Performance 3 128G disk. I first tried to install my fresh disk via the cd but got crashes after about 30% two tries in a row. I then when for restore via Time Machine and that worked. Now i get freezing crashes, the wheel starts to spinn and I can't nothing except move the wheel mouse pointer around. Seems like it might be related to the problem you solved above? But the link is boken so I can find the page with how to solve it. Can you update it?

Any one else that got these problems?

I installed Lion, the computer fell asleep. Had to hard reboot. The disk became unrecognizable. i'm not happy. It's RMA'd back to newegg. but they will only exchange for the same drive. :-(

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I've been ready the thread and was scared to put my Performance3 SSD 256Go in my new MBP2011.

I'm writing to share my experience, It might help some people wanting to get this drive to put it into the MBP2011.

First of all, I have a 15" MBP 2.2Ghz bought from the refurb.

I had a 128Go Apple(Toshiba) SSD inside as standard.

Last night I put my new SSD in and booted from the DVD 10.6.7 that came with my MBP.

the installation worked without a problem. However the Dock never appeared and the system was painfully slow and was freezing after 5min of use even after multiple reboot.

What solved the problem was to update the system. once in 10.6.8 no other problem appeared.

Now it works perfectly. ( I have installed TRIM enabler too)

I hope it helps.

• 1 month later...

Hi it's me again,

Following my previous post I had a couple of Kernel panic but i'm not sure what was the reason.

But 4 days ago my macbook froze and I couldn't restart it with the SSD inside.

I tried to boot with an external hardrive and format the SSD but it didnt want to mount. it's not recognized if put as internal and same thing in an USB enclosure.

I'm bringing it back to the shop and getting something else.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Hmm it is now happening from time to time that files do not get written on the disc during java compilation processes. I get a ClassNotFoundException. I am not sure if the disc is the problem. If anybody can tell me who I can run some diagnoses software on mac os x I would like to check if the writing of files is sometimes broken.

• 4 months later...

Hi Manuel,

I have been having some issues with my performance 3 p3-256 under windows 7 platform.

I'm curious if you made note of the firmware version of the drives you have used or using?

I ask because there are FW 1.0 and FW 1.1 out in the field and the only difference I can tell hardware wise is a newer, but backwards compatible DDR ram from Nanya, so this should not require a new firmware

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3868/corsair_performance_3_series_256gb_solid_state_drive_review/index4.html

http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/45375-corsair-performance-3-256gb-ssd-review.html

• 3 months later...

@supe: sorry for the late answer. No I haven't noted the firmware version.

Currently I am getting broken files from time to time. e.g. the application Adium had to be reinstalled. Further my mac is not going to boot anymore in safe mode. The process fsck -fy is not going to terminate during checking extended file attributes and I am not able to export my photo book from iPhoto. The system crashes with the following stack trace:

Thread 0:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

0 libsystem_kernel.dylib 0x9526fc22 mach_msg_trap + 10

1 libsystem_kernel.dylib 0x9526f1f6 mach_msg + 70

2 com.apple.framework.IOKit 0x9becd852 io_service_get_matching_services + 231

3 com.apple.framework.IOKit 0x9be798b5 IOServiceGetMatchingServices + 147

4 com.apple.CoreServices.OSServices 0x9bd769bd _CSDeviceSupportsODisk + 178

5 com.apple.FinderKit 0x99dddb84 TFENodeFactory::FetchODNetworkNode() + 50

6 com.apple.FinderKit 0x99e05135 TStartNode::TStartNode(TCustomNodeFactory&) + 143

7 com.apple.FinderKit 0x99e05081 TStartNode::CreateStartNode(TCustomNodeFactory&) + 37

8 com.apple.FinderKit 0x99ddc31d TFENodeFactory::TFENodeFactory() + 417

9 com.apple.FinderKit 0x99ddc070 TFENodeFactory::Initialize() + 30

10 com.apple.FinderKit 0x99f2a5ec +[FIFinderViewGutsController initializeCounted] + 77

11 com.apple.FinderKit 0x99f3470c -[FIFinderView _commonFinderViewInit] + 37

12 com.apple.FinderKit 0x99f348a8 -[FIFinderView initWithFrame:] + 112

13 com.apple.AppKit 0x96555396 -[NSNavFinderViewFileBrowser initWithFrame:] + 167

14 com.apple.AppKit 0x9654bdbb _NSNavFileBrowserWithFinderKit + 107

15 com.apple.AppKit 0x961de167 -[NSSavePanel(NSSavePanelLayout) _makeFileBrowserView] + 86

16 com.apple.AppKit 0x961dc41d -[NSSavePanel(NSSavePanelLayout) _setupFileBrowserView] + 162

17 com.apple.AppKit 0x961de828 -[NSSavePanel(NSSavePanelLayout) _initContentView] + 1502

18 com.apple.AppKit 0x961db32f -[NSSavePanel initWithContentRect:styleMask:backing:defer:] + 367

19 com.apple.AppKit 0x961d5120 +[NSSavePanel _crunchyRawUnbonedPanel] + 244

20 com.apple.AppKit 0x961d3fe1 +[NSSavePanel savePanel] + 33

21 com.apple.iLifePageLayout 0x013559c6 -[KHController saveCurrentProjectAsPDF:] + 38

22 com.apple.iLifePageLayout 0x0150c4de -[KHProjectSettingsController saveAsPDF:] + 62

I already called Apple support so I would expect this is a disc issue.

• 2 months later...

Something on my Mac OS X Pro broke last week which made the disc horrible slow (start up took 3 hours) login took 30 minutes. Normally the start up takes 10s and the login takes 2.

In verbose mode (press Command + V on booting) the system showed the following message multiple times:

SATA WARNING: Enable Drive PHY PM failed

I got a new Force 3 to check if it is a problem with the disc but this was not the case. I took my MacBook Pro to the dealer where I bought it but they told me they are not responsible for the disc and I can pay 39 € for them to check my mac book with a normal HDD telling me if it is working or not and if there is a manufacturing problem Apple will reimburse the 39 €.

I got another HDD for myself and this disc is working without problems (restoring my time machine backup 240 GByte took 6 hours). So the basic problem is that Apple does not tell me why the SATA III disc create problems.

So for me the conclusion is don't use a SATA III disc in a MacBook Pro Early 2011. Further the support of Apple is not helpful at all when the 1 year warranty passed.

I will write a letter directly to Apple complaining about this issue and will see what happens.

Archived