Corsair Community

H50 that leaked a little bit..

edufurtado

I have already opened 3 cases on the helpdesk, but I got no answer from them, and it's almost 24 hours... Things on the foruns also seems to be faster.

In the first 2 cases I just asked some stuff, in the third I asked for an RMA...

Well, I bought an H50 from a forum friend from overclock.net. He sent it working flawlessly, so I decided not to test it before mounting to my rig. Big mistake.

Happly, I decided, whithing the last moment, to protect my video card below with papertowers, because I got a leak...

it wasn't constant, just a little leak, and the pump made a lot of noises - I thought it was supposed to be silent, and after lot's of research I found out that is supposed to be bubble airs inside.

Well.. I wasn't considering RMA because I have somehow a special scenario, but people at OCN kept telling me I should try contacting you guys before doing anything...

Here is my case:

I bought this new, I have not really an idea of when it was bought.

And I live in Brazil...

So the cost of shipping to my friend, so that he could RMA it on his name (people said I can RMA it myself, without his help), then shipping to corsair... shipping back to him, and finally shipping back to me should not be worth it:

I paid something like $16,00 for him to ship it to me, and it wasn't on the original big box, it was a smaller one...

Also, I read that I must return the original fans... and that's something he doesn't have anymore - He used the orignal fan to build a shrould... and I got a yate loon instead...

My plan to fix it was to try taking most of the bubbles out, created by the leaking, by adding more destiled water to what's already inside...

then using a hot glue pistol to double seal everything and avoid more leaks... (strange thing is I took of the cover from the pump unit and there were already something that seems to be glue inside... I had some trouble to take it off because of the glue)

I have most of my nightmare recorded - I usually record every unbox from used items, so I can complain if something goes wrong and it's not my fault - like this case...

here is a link to the thread I bought it from:

http://www.overclock.net/cooling-products/805152-corsair-h50-40-pending-d12sh12s.html

And here is a link to the thread I started asking for some help on how to refill it:

http://www.overclock.net/water-cooling/824019-partially-refilling-h50.html

All this novel started 2 or 3 days ago.

The paper towels on top of my 5870 got just a little wet becasue I saw it quickly and turned it off, but I still haven't tryied to boot my rig. I'm giving it some time to evaporate whatever could still be there... I hope nothing is damaged to avoid lot's of headache

Thanks in advance,

Eduardo Furtado

if you are not the original purchaser the warranty is null and void. its only available to the original purchaser and seeing it traveled overseas not in its original box the damage may have happened during shipping. was insurance taken out on the parcel? if so i would put in a claim with the postal service used.

if you are not the original purchaser the warranty is null and void. its only available to the original purchaser and seeing it traveled overseas not in its original box the damage may have happened during shipping. was insurance taken out on the parcel? if so i would put in a claim with the postal service used.

I know about that.

Also that pressure could have caused the leaking, because cargo decks aren't pressurized on planes.....

Still, I am here waiting an answer from sobebody from corsair, because many many people asked me o do this.

BTW, this could have gotten much uglier if my video card was damaged... it is supposed to be a closed loop, and never open, no matter what - there is no difference between traveling a new one and an used one on a plane.. they will both go in the same deck.

Also, the original owner thing is simple, I can simply ship back to my friend and then he will RMA it for us..... people kept telling corsair would RMA it, no matter who I got it from.

For now I'm calm, because I'm losing only lot's of time and 80 bucks...

Imagine my video card under that leaking thing without any paper towels! :(

the H50 is only 80 bucks brand new with warranty!

it may be easier to fix it yourself since you voided the warranty anyway.

also its a sealed unit. cabin pressure has no impact on the H50 anyway. it was either bumped around or damaged on install. either way you already admitted to not being the original purchaser and you opened it up to look inside.

best bet just get some cheap tubing and fix it yourself for under 10 dollars.

refill instructions are out there on the web by modders (non Corsair reps) and you should be up and running in no time.

good luck!

I have already opened 3 cases on the helpdesk, but I got no answer from them, and it's almost 24 hours... Things on the foruns also seems to be faster.
Helpdesk is faster than the forum FYI, and opening up 3 cases within that time frame doesn't help either.

the H50 is only 80 bucks brand new with warranty!

it may be easier to fix it yourself since you voided the warranty anyway.

also its a sealed unit. cabin pressure has no impact on the H50 anyway. it was either bumped around or damaged on install. either way you already admitted to not being the original purchaser and you opened it up to look inside.

best bet just get some cheap tubing and fix it yourself for under 10 dollars.

refill instructions are out there on the web by modders (non Corsair reps) and you should be up and running in no time.

good luck!

I don't think I voided the warranty by taking the case off. All I did was take off 2 screws, that were there, not even protected, and just to check where the leaking was comming from.

As for the price, please notice I paid for shipping too.

I do not want to fix it myself. I want corsair reliability, if I had to do it my self, I would preffer a better performing custom loop. I want to mount an h50 to my rig and forget about it there. no leakings, no evaporation. Just how it's meant to be.

As for the plane, I thought the same thing, you know? I'm not as dumb as you may think I am. So who's fault is that? Physical shocks aren't an option, because it was well packed, and no visible phisical damaged was there. FYI as I opened the cover to see where the leaking was comming from, it seems to be from the screw in between the 2 pipes on the pump unit.

It seems not to be leaking anymore, but I don't want to risk it, and I don't want to hear bubbles passin by the pump.

So, what should I do?

Again, for the not original user, I could have simply sent it back to the original.

As for the cover removal, I could simply close it up again, and nobody would notice it's been taken apart once, so this shouldn't void any warranty. It's not like I tryied to mod it, btw. I have all stored in video, most of the process from the unboxing (as already mentioned), with some cuts when I took breaks to calm down.

Helpdesk is faster than the forum FYI, and opening up 3 cases within that time frame doesn't help either.

FYI I opened 3 completly different cases, since I couldn't add information to the previews ones.

I still haven't heard from helpdesk.

I thought corsair didn't have to help me, but the more I wait, the more I think it's not my fault, and that I could have lost much much more.

It's not only about the money... time is a big thing, it can also mean respect in these cases, when they make you wait days and days for a simple reply to your message.................

As for the plane, I thought the same thing, you know? I'm not as dumb as you may think I am.

for the record, i do not think you are dumb at all, i merely pointed out a popular misconception. the pressure is lower but still not in a vacuum.

http://www.overclock.net/water-cooling/647943-guide-h50-replace-tubes-res-mod.html

this link has been posted here before and im certain Corsair does not recommend this but you know us enthusiasts, our middle name is "voids warrantys"

good luck!

P.S. IIRC the screw hole IS the filling port should you decide not to incorporate a res. (although that would increase its cooling capacity)

for the record, i do not think you are dumb at all, i merely pointed out a popular misconception. the pressure is lower but still not in a vacuum.

http://www.overclock.net/water-cooling/647943-guide-h50-replace-tubes-res-mod.html

this link has been posted here before and im certain Corsair does not recommend this but you know us enthusiasts, our middle name is "voids warrantys"

good luck!

P.S. IIRC the screw hole IS the filling port should you decide not to incorporate a res. (although that would increase its cooling capacity)

I do NOT want to use a res..... and that thread is useless because of that :p

As for that screw (in the middle of the 2 pipes in the pump, right -just to double check) is where I what I am supposed to use as a hole to refill it and take the bubbles out?

That's ironic, because that's where the leaking is comming from.

As for the plane thing, it's not a common sense, in my case. It's the only explanation that makes sense, since the box was intact, the package was intact and I've been told that a 100% working unit was shipped to me, which was DOA - and for the record, almost killed it's surroundings...

so... to triple check, I can use a seringe on the screw hole between the 2 pipes on the pump unit to refill it, right? - In case corsair denies my RMA

thats what i read as well. only thing i would do different is hook up the 2 pump lines and only 1 of the rad lines and submerge the rad in a container of distilled water and 10% antifreeze, run the pump to get all the air out and connect the last hose underwater so no air bubbles at all. ziptie clamp it and rinse the rad in the sink. blow dry it with an aircan then run it for 24 hours on a paper towel and check for leaks.

if you say the screw hole is what is leaking, either the threaded boss is cracked or maybe a bit of silicone sealant or teflon tape on the threads will cure that problem.

thats what i read as well. only thing i would do different is hook up the 2 pump lines and only 1 of the rad lines and submerge the rad in a container of distilled water and 10% antifreeze, run the pump to get all the air out and connect the last hose underwater so no air bubbles at all. ziptie clamp it and rinse the rad in the sink. blow dry it with an aircan then run it for 24 hours on a paper towel and check for leaks.

if you say the screw hole is what is leaking, either the threaded boss is cracked or maybe a bit of silicone sealant or teflon tape on the threads will cure that problem.

The problem with that method is that I would have to change the tubbings, which I don't want to.

Can't I fill it throught that screw hole in the middle of the pump pipes? (where the leaking is comming from)

My plan was to use a hot glue pistol to help the sealings, and now that you mentioned, some silicone sealant or teflon tape could help, too.

Now, since you mentioned, why is that 10% anti freeze? Is it only freeze related, or has it got another purpose?

I would ask your friend to help you submit the rma request and we can replace the unit.

Thanks, finally an answer...

Well, he is also contacting you, and I asked him to call you guys...

But I need to know if it's certain before tomorrow at lunch time - post office will close at 5pm, and I will be traveling on monday. (6AM)

I need to know what am I going to pay - will I need to pay shiping to you, to him, shiping back to me, etc..? - depending on how much it's going to end up, it's better for me to simply buy a new h50...

I hope this novel has a happy ending...

I'll contact him again asking him to take a look here, but what should he do, exactly?

Archived