Corsair Community

CM3X2G1600C9D6 Question please

lvicious

Hello:

I tried the memory configurator and wasn't much help.

Basically, I have the corsair dominator 2gb CM3X2G1600C9D6 as listed in my rig specs. I have x3 of those sticks for 6gb total. I can have up to 24gb max.

Ram can get very expensive but I want to know the best route for adding or just upgrading all my memory but I want at least 12gb. I figure after that it's just too costly.

However, that's why I am posting. To find out should I add just 3 more sticks of same memory for 12gb ram or should I start over and go another route and replace my current ram.

Also, I am going to do a lot of gaming on this rig in a few months like FFXIV among others. Besides wanting to OC my i7 I figured I needed to upgrade or revamp my RAM. Suggestions please. I figure 400 bucks is gonna be my limit.

Thank you,

Lance

Right I don't want to mix and match 2 different sets. I was curious if I should just buy 6gb (3 sticks) for like 299.00 ..exact match of what I have already installed or should I just change out the 6gb I have for something else.. better?

just looking for any suggestions. I think it will just come down to how much I want to spend and do I want to sell or put in another rig later on my current 3 sticks of ram and put in all new higher gb memory or maybe a different kind. I only have 6 spots total.

anyway was just curious.

Right I don't want to mix and match 2 different sets. I was curious if I should just buy 6gb (3 sticks) for like 299.00 ..exact match of what I have already installed or should I just change out the 6gb I have for something else.. better?

That's what RAM GUY is talking about. Mixing 2 kits not purchased together can still be problematic. If you want 12GB, buy 12GB in a single kit.

eh.. so buying 6 more gb's of the exact same memory for the last 3 slots can cause issues? well that sucks. What kind of issues can that cause?

bah.. so that means I have 6gb of good memory that I'll have to figure out what to do with.

So.. I can get up to 24gb of RAM.. does that mean if I remove my current RAM and buy 12gb like you suggested of new RAM that if I ever wanted to fill up the last 12gb's I'd still potentially have issues?

That just seems like you either have to go all out and spend truckload of cash to fill up your RAM if you wanted to or keep replacing every time you want to upgrade.

I don't get that. basically cash down the drain unless you get it all the first time and spend truckloads.

In most cases I see, it will work. But, if you get 2 different revisions of the same memory, you could be mixing different ICs, different PCBs, etc etc. So, if you buy 2 different kits and then have issues such as instability or if it wont' boot, etc, then you have no recourse to RMA. If you buy a kit, you know we have tested it together, that it is guaranteed to meet spec, and that we'll replace it if it won't.

You are welcome to try 2 kits and it will more than likely work. Just be sure to match the existing kit as closely as you can. But, as noted. We cannot guarantee and do not suggest it as the best option.

Archived