Corsair Community

New modules not working

sharp_arris

Just to recap, I bought Twin 2X4096-6400C4DHX G about a year ago to replace the 2Gigs I have at present. After trying all the stuff on the forums we eventually concluded it was faulty and got a replacement. This arrived immediately before Happy Holidays! but when I tried it, the computer again failed to boot as far as POST. I finally got round to trying all that horrendous business of re-setting the bios, changing the memory voltage manually, saving, switching off, replacing the old for new, switching on, changing memory timings manually, changing all those bios settings back to where they were from before the re-set and finally booting into windows.

Hey! Success.......for about 50 minutes. Had 2 applications and one print job crash before the dreaded bsod.

Soooo back to the bios to disable legacy and boot into memtest. All fine for half an hour and then in the next fifteen minutes I run up more than 1500 errors.

Does this mean that the replacement is as bad as the first pair or what? The computer is working fine with 2 Gigs from some other company so what is your advice from this point please?

The errors started on the random number test I think and after a bit I skipped to the 010101 test which also came up with errors. I tested both modules together although I suspect only one is having problems - I had assumed a matched pair requires both to function well.

The memory settings I altered in the bios were voltage which I altered from auto to 2.1 and timings which I altered from auto to 4-4-4-12. I did not alter any settings relating to cpu. I was following the advice of wired from this earlier post:

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=80978

• 3 weeks later...

Summary of tech support communication referred from here:

Tech:

Please use http://www.memtest.org to test the modules one at a time and you will want to disable Legacy USB when running a memory test on that MB.

Me:

Done:

Module "A" had errors on test no 7 "Random number sequence"

Module "B" crashed the test after finding errors on test 5 "Block moves".

Before the test run I changed the bios from auto settings to manual:

Memory voltage 2.1

Timings 4-4-4-12

usb legacy disabled

I used memtest 86 3.5 and I took screen shots if you want to see? (Pointing a camera at the screen in case you are wondering how).

Tech:

You will need to use http://www.memtest.org Memtest 86+ 4.0 or newer if you have a newer chipset and getting errors with both modules would suggest some other problem, did you disable legacy USB if you have an ASUS MB?

Me:

To change memory, re-set bios, alter bios settings for corsair memory, run memtest, do half the above for the second stick, reverse the whole process for the **Z memory that has been working faultlessly in the same slots for the last three years takes around two hours not counting the time spent researching on-line or writing futile e-mails to you.

Please do not give me a couple of half cocked instructions and then when I have been through the process I have just outlined tell me something else to do that you could easily have mentioned from the outset. Before I do anything I expect from you a COMPREHENSIVE list of what you want me to do.

You know I have an Asus motherboard because I told you so previously. You ask if I disabled legacy usb support and in reply I refer you to line 7 of my previous reply.

I await your comprehensive instructions so that I do not leave anything out next time and I request that you quote the word "pitchfork" to prove to me that you read my replies before sending me off to waste another two hours.

Please do not give me a couple of half cocked instructions and then when I have been through the process I have just outlined tell me something else to do that you could easily have mentioned from the outset. Before I do anything I expect from you a COMPREHENSIVE list of what you want me to do.
That's why they provided a direct link to the appropriate memtest software. I'd suggest responding to the ticket and not here, as there's no reason to post here when you already have a ticket in (which is the fastest way to get support).

You completely missed the point and 3.5 post dates my mb. You clearly didn't read the post either or you would realise this is the rant of a frustrated customer who wishes to point out that these Corsair techies are dealing with people who are not techies, have equally busy lives and who's hard earned cash have helped pay their wages for a product that they recommended and fails to work.

The other thing you seem to have missed is that this was my response to the ticket which I am sharing with you. I share it with you so that people like you who do not work for Corsair can join together to air our opinion that the techies Corsair employ to deal with us should not take us for granted.

We bought this stuff, we are out of pocket and we deserve their fullest attention. They need to know how to satisfy their customers. If we do not complain we deserve no more than the kind of response you gave me.

Corsair techs are just trying to prevent false RMAs meaning there may be other factors of the ram failing memtest which should be addressed before suggesting replacement.

speaking of, have you tried to reset the bios at all? some times that helps after changing or adding different ram.

• 1 month later...

"speaking of, have you tried to reset the bios at all? some times that helps after changing or adding different ram"

You mean this? : "I finally got round to trying all that horrendous business of re-setting the bios, changing the memory voltage manually, saving, switching off, replacing the old for new, switching on, changing memory timings manually, changing all those bios settings back to where they were from before the re-set and finally booting into windows."

I don't just re-set the bios with jumpers, I take the battery out. The latest set of memory has been working fine for a week now although it took me a full 24 hours to work up the courage to install it in case I was disappointed again. I could just be unlucky. The computer is three years old and has had changed under warranty memory (twice), motherboard (memory controller screwed the memory), hard discs, graphics card and psu so having two sets of faulty memory from Corsair was testing my patience.

Archived