Corsair Community

Gather 'round, folks with TWIN2X4096-8500C5D problems

YCH

Ok, while waiting for some new cheapish ram to arrive (I will need something while the Corsair is RMA'd) I tried out another setting last night and may have inadvertently found a setting that seems to have stabilised the problem.

Now I have tried the auto settings for 800Mhz before with no joy (crashes within hours as before) but thought I'd try entering all the settings (SPD timings) manually. I turned the PC back on about 8pm GMT and left it. This morning....Still on, no BSOD, no reboots and all seems fine at over 23 hours running (will be going back to 1066 after posting to see how long or if the crash occurs again). Here's the thing though, it was only on checking the settings I realised I had left the voltage at 2.1v, instead of the SPD 1.8V for 800Mhz.

Now I do not know if the crash might still occur at this setting (might just take longer) but it certainly has lasted a lot longer than any other I have tried. If it is a stable setting then that's a start I suppose, though still not a true solution as I'd be stuck running the ram below the speed I had paid for (and enjoyed for the 2 months it ran problem free).

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Adding my voice of discontent with TWIN2X4096-8500C5/D.

Almost a year ago a bought TWIN2X4096-8500C5 and put them on an ASUS P5Q-SE motherboard. Last February the computer suffered from continuous randomm BSODs and reboots. When tested with memtes86, the memory showed lots of errors.

As a result I got the pair replaced with another pair from the same series. And guess what... Two months later the problem recurred. At that point I thought that somewhat was going wrong with the motherboard. So I went and bought ASUS P5Q Deluxe. But the memories crashed on this mobo on the next day.

So I got this pair exchanged for another kit - this time TWIN2X4096-8500C5D. This kit surprised me unpleasantly from the very beginning. It refused to work @1066MHz whatever settings I tried to use. Nevertheless I decided to use it @800 MHz so long as it gave me no problems.

About two months later the kit exhibited the same problems - random BSODs and reboots. As by then I have already read a lot about these issues, I decided to make some experiments. I put the memories on my home server (Q6600 on ASUS P5B). After a month or so - BSODs and reboots. Finally, I assembled for my son a machine based on ASUS P5E and E5200. The machine worked for about two months, and two days ago it started crashing like mad.

I cannot help but think that the problems are related to the Corsair memories. In my case crashes recurred with disturbing consistency on 4 motherboards based on three different chipsets and equipped with with four different CPUs.

Another strong indication that Corsair memories are to blame is that when I moved to another type of memory, as several persons on this forum note, the problems disappeared both on my server and now on my son's computer (which BTW has no problem running @1066MHz with the other memory).

Argghh....So much for the 'stability' of the setting I had been trying. BSOD's came back even at that setting (come to think of it though the pc hadn't been idle much during it's day long run without a crash).

Have just put the temporary ram in and so far no problems, though a 1gb stick of cheap 800mhz ram is obviously running noticeably slower.

Will be putting the Corsair in the post tomorrow but I'm not sure what to do now when a replacement comes back.

Argghh....So much for the 'stability' of the setting I had been trying. BSOD's came back even at that setting (come to think of it though the pc hadn't been idle much during it's day long run without a crash).

Have just put the temporary ram in and so far no problems, though a 1gb stick of cheap 800mhz ram is obviously running noticeably slower.

Will be putting the Corsair in the post tomorrow but I'm not sure what to do now when a replacement comes back.

Heve you checked out my thread "http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=83014"

Same type of issue and I'm still sitting at the 4 choices I outlined in my last post.

Heve you checked out my thread "http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=83014"

Same type of issue and I'm still sitting at the 4 choices I outlined in my last post.

Not exactly a lot of options open for us is there?

I figure I will just have to go with the replacement sticks and hope it doesn't happen again, while keeping an eye open here to see if there's any news on the cause and what elusive setting might be required to prevent it (once it happens the ram is stuck with the problem so it just might be preventable while the system is still stable if we only knew how).

ASUS Tech Department had the P5Q-E motherboard running on 2 kits of the TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF with everything set to Auto. DDR2-1066MHz and the timing set to 5-5-5-15 using 1.8V

I had a look at the IC manufacturer's website and it states to run at 1.8V which gets me thinking.... does running the RAM at 2.1V on an Intel board fry the RAM?

If corsair does not come with a propper sollution i will buy myself some other memmory and never buy corsiar mem again. I tryed so many different settings but they all result in bsod. When you change a setting the system can run fine for weeks, so you think you have it solved. but a lillte later the bleu screen appears again.

This is happening to AMD based boards as well so if the ram running at 2.1 is somehow causing this issue it's not unique to Intel boards.

Corsair is the one specifying the 2.1v, its stamped right on the stick...... so if 2.1 is frying the RAM, something is seriously wrong.

Wait, we all know something is seriously wrong, just not what.......

I would guess (and this is very much a guess) from the symptoms that some small component involved in how the power is handled within the stick gets damaged over time. That the BSOD's often occur near idle or coming out of idle rather than during stress tests, and only a full power cycle (cold boot) will restore stable functionality (until the next inevitable crash) seems to suggest that our systems entering a lower power state is where things have/do gone wrong: Maybe something on the sticks gets overloaded when the pc is left running for a time and the power cycle clears that issue for a spell?

Whatever the case, I think I might try running the replacement ram at 1.8 (standard 800Mhz SPD) until more information on this comes to light. If the 2.1v setting is causing the damage then I would hope Corsair will be looking into a solution. After all, we know it's not our boards, CPU's or any other hardware to blame, not when this ram is the only common factor in all our cases.

Btw, the cheapo 1gb stick I popped in is running fine. Left on overnight, no crash. I'm running slower, but at least it's stable.

I found the same... its when the system is at idle that problems occur, no idea what it is..... but anytime the system crashed and RAID screwed up, I reverted back to the el cheapo to rebuild it. The only thing I can thing of is that it just doesn't make any logical sense what so ever (to me anyway)..... why is it doing this? Why is it when the system is idle? What's happening? Is it the latest power technology that reduces power consumption to try and be green causing the problems? Does the RAM not like Voltage flucuations in an effort to save the environment and lower carbon emissions by reducing the voltage when the system is not in use? Maybe that's the problem...... its another theory at least.

• Corsair Employee

This has been posted many times with using 4 modules and we can only guarantee 4 up when they are purchased in a set of 4 at the rated speeds.

And WAPC just for example with your MB and CPU you have listed DDR667 would be suggested when all four slots are filled.

With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

......Btw, the cheapo 1gb stick I popped in is running fine. Left on overnight, no crash. I'm running slower, but at least it's stable.

That's my case, so far I can't kill the 1 gbyte stick, I've memtest'd it to death and run Prime95 over 8 hours, it just won't die. It is at 800Mhz and only 1 gbyte so I can't run Win 7 - 64bit any more but XP-Pro and Win7 - 32bit are bulletproof again. The settings its running at are all from Auto detect.

I'm working with Gigabyte now to try a bunch of (painful) stuff before I RMA the motherboard.

Guys do you use azureus?!

The issue is hardware, not software related.

If it were software related, we'd be able to run the system without crashing. If what we are experiencing is associated with an application then the system will crash when the application is running. Not to mention that the memory dumps will point out that azureus.exe is the faulty behind the system crash. I only have Windows & Office installed without any other applications and the system crashing.

However, I'm not excluding this as the cause of the fault that we're discussing as it could very well be for someone else but I don't think it applies to the other people in this particular thread.

This has been posted many times with using 4 modules and we can only guarantee 4 up when they are purchased in a set of 4 at the rated speeds.

Corsair may only guarantee because they've seen troubles, I understand that being a manufacturer that you would be going on a huge limb stating that 4 modules will work (if they're not tested together) as it all depends on the end users system specs. If you guarantee it, then you may end up opening the flood gates, so yeah.... I understand why that is said. On the otherside when a motherboard manufacturer states that the board is capable of running 4 modules then the consumer has peace of mind that it will work. This week ASUS confirmed the QVL running 4 modules but ran 4 modules @ 1066MHz at 1.8V compared to 2.1V - maybe the 2.1 voltage could be giving off some sort of wave fluctuation which causes it to run faster than what the board can handle. However, I'm not an electronic engineer to test that random theory.

And WAPC just for example with your MB and CPU you have listed DDR2-667 would be suggested when all four slots are filled.
If that's the case, then buying 2 kits of the TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF would've been a waste of money (for me) on the grounds that DDR2-800 runs faster than DDR2-667 and if I ran just the 2 modules (4GB in total) I probably wouldn't have an issue but because I'm going to run with 8GB. I ended up returning the 8500C5DF to the distribute who has since returned it to Corsair for analysis (the RA guy didn't test) and am waiting on the arrival of the Quad Q2X6400C4DHX as its an 8GB tested kit at 800MHz and as you've said above, its a quad kit tested and is guarnteed to work.

WAPC do you have problems with this RAM or not...

I asking for azureus because the fsb drop down from 200mhz to 85/90 mhz with azureus and opera and then is the crash now i'm with 2 modules 2gb transcend 800mhz and didn't have problems with fsb... This problem is only for AMD platforms or not???

Archived