Corsair Community

Gather 'round, folks with TWIN2X4096-8500C5D problems

YCH

We have tested this set of modules and many different MB's not only ASUS and if that is the case it sounds like you just have a failing module.

I think a big part of the problem, at least based on the current RAMGUY timing specs, is that you are only testing them @ 800MHz, not 1066, and on M2 series boards, which are obsolete.

You need to test on M3 series boards, with Phenom B3 stepping (dual 1066 controllers), and then see if you actually meet your spec.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think a big part of the problem, at least based on the current RAMGUY timing specs, is that you are only testing them @ 800MHz, not 1066, and on M2 series boards, which are obsolete.

You need to test on M3 series boards, with Phenom B3 stepping (dual 1066 controllers), and then see if you actually meet your spec.

We test them at spec. It would be pointless to test 1066 at 800.

ByrneIT, you have been given a 7 day ban for your comments which have been deleted. If you need continued Tech Support you can use TSX Express or telepone support. Admin abuse and profanity will not be tolerated.

If you would like, you may return in 7 days. Please take of the forum rules if you choose to do so:

FORUM RULES

Sorry about using an abbreviation that expanded to an expletive, but as a former LEO, I'm sure you understand how exasperating it can be when it's very clear that someone is being evasive and stonewalling.

I'll post again, with very clear reasons, why I'm convinced that the proffered solutions or reasons for memtest fails you have posted are clearly incorrect.

If you are actually testing these modules @ 1066MHz, then please post the as-tested setup. I have been unable to find any posting (and the link in your sig is to a much older Ramguy post than even the current ones, which date to May 09), showing testing of any Corsair DDR2 modules at speeds higher than 800MHz.

Then please post here, or update the Ramguy posting (and change your sig to link to the latest one), showing the setup used. Ideally that would be with an ASUS M3 series mobo, and a Phenom stepping B3 or later, but ANY detailed posting would be better than what we have now.

Have you loaded setup defaults and installed them, one at a time and tested them with legacy USB disabled at the tested settings IE DDR1066 at Cas 5-5-515 2T Command Rate 2.1 Volts? If so and one fails and the other pass then we will want to get them replaced. If it is some other issue please be a bit more specific in what you have tested.
1: The RAM tested fine when first installed, and run for 24 hours, on Memtest, without any mucking whit the legacy USB testing.

2: The RAM tested bad after the machine started blue screening.

3: Putting in the older 800MHz 6400C4 RAM I had in my prior machine, and making no changes other than switching to 800MHz 4-4-4-12-2T, Memtest ran fine for 24 hours, and the system has been stable since.

This indicates the following:

1: The issue is the RAM, not anything to do with Legacy USB, since Memtest passed with Legacy USB enabled in case 1 and 3.

2: That the symptoms I, and others, have posted here are an epidemic with the 8500C5D, and, absent any formal RAMGUY spec showing actual as-tested specs that meet, or are close to, our configs, we would be foolish to continue doing testing that is really Corsair's responsibility.

3: This mobo and CPU can run CAS4 @ 800 MHz 8GB all day long, with no problem, so for the marginal increase in performance, the waste of time for me to do the testing to get 8500C5D to work is not worth it. If Corsair posts a config that looks close to my system that shows them working, I might try it, but at this point, I've got my RMA'd RAM, and I'm going to sell it on eBay.

Given this experience, I will probably exclusively use ******** RAM going forward, as I have never had any problems with that, and have run it in servers for decades.

To clarify: I am not a former LEO. I won't claim what I have not earned.

I was saying that, since I checked your profile and knew you were, and having had interrogation experience myself when being used as an LEO while a Soldier, I would hope you understand how frustrating it can get when it's clear someone is holding out or stonewalling.

I already RMA'd this RAM, and unless I can get a RAMGUY posting that shows actual configs for it @ 1066 on an M3 series ASUS motherboard, I won't be reinstalling the replacements, but rather selling them on eBay.

Please, for the sake of Corsair and your customers, post whatever the rig is you test these @ 1066, and detailed BIOS settings, so we can emulate the settings!

In perusing the forae of other manufacturers, I found that some tweaking of NB voltages and advanced timings seem to be necessary to make their DDR2-1066 Cas 5 run stable on ASUS M3 and M4 series Mobos.

Do you have any insight into that, or the as-tested tweaks you may have done?

Example, from a certain skillful manufacturer's forum (posted by a user) for an ASUS M3A-78-EM and their 8500 Cas 5 (which is slightly different than yours as it is 5-5-5-15-8) :

CPU Core + 0.50mv

CPU NB + 0.50 mv

DRAM Timing Configuration (submenu)

- Memory Clock Mode: Manual

- Memclock Value: 533 MHz

- Memory Ganged Mode Disabled: Always (this is under a different submenu)

- DRAM Timing Mode: Both

DCT0 1st:

- CAS Latency (CL): 5 CLK

- TCWL: 5 CLK

- TRCD: 5 CLK

- TRP: 5 CLK

- TRAS: 15 CLK

- tWR: 8 CLK )

- tRFC0: 195ns

- tRFC1: 195ns

- tRFC2: 195ns

DCT0 2nd:

- tRFC3: 195ns

- TRC: 33 CLK

- TRRD: 4 CLK

- tWTR: 4 CLK

- tRTP: 3-5 CLK

- DCT1 1st and 2nd: Same as above

From my experience with high performacne DDR2 ram and there relating high performance chipsets is this...

It's Gambling.

I had so many problems with my Striker build 2 years ago that I wanted to rip my hair out and burn all my computer stuff. A lot of my problems are very similar to everything said in this thread. Unexplainable crashes, hard to reproduce, symptoms pointing to other hardware, stable for long periods of time and then out of the blue bam.

In the end I came to the conclusion that every striker board I had worked fine until I tried to put ram in it that was capable of going above 800Mhz and doing so. Once going over 800Mhz any ram I put into that board there after was immediately toast (even if I left it at lower then rated settings). I replicated this with 3 different strikers and about 10 sets of Corsair and OCZ memory. My last striker RMA I got some corsair PC2-6400 and left it at those settings and its been fine ever since (except the one module randomly died last week after swaping modules for a test but thats after a year of use).

I got my Maximus Formula and somehow got 4 2GB sticks running at 1066MHz with no issues (first try too) for over a year now. I count myself lucky and have refused to mess with it now that it is working.

Moral of the story... if you go through two sets of ram then RMA the motherboard its probably a bunk memory controller. If you think back to when a lot of these weird issues started it was around the time when leaps and bounds were being made on the memory controller side to improve flexibility and memory clocks and being able to clock higher. Lots of drastic changes... Nvidia memory controllers seem to be worse off too but thats just my experience I have no statistics to back that claim up.

Now the controller is on the CPU so it eliminates that problem.

Archived