Corsair Community

TW3X4G1600C9DHX & Lynnfield: Should I change?

Krim

OK, I just bought a Lynnfield new system that includes an Gigabyte-P55-UD2 Micro ATX, a Core i7-860 CPU and 4 GB of memory, model TW3X4G1600C9DHX.

Now, I expected to run at 1600 Mhz, 9-9-9-24 timings, but, after trying the system a bit, I notice it is only running at 1066 Mhz 7-7-7-21. Trying to clock it to 1333 Mhz causes Windows to fail to boot...until I noticed the VDimm was 1.5v while the memory is supposed to work at 1.8V.

Now, luckily, I didn't change the voltage, because apparently Lynnfield doesn't take over 1.65V. So, right now, I am stuck with underperforming memory. Is it worth it to change it for proper DDR3-1600 Mhz? Or I am not missing anything after all? And if I change it, I guess I should ask the retailer, since the memory itself is perfectly fine, and I am not sure if the retailer has what I need/want.

I am sorry but yes you will need to get the correct memory for your system

Hmm, I'm :confused: and have two questions...

1) I'm putting together the specs for similar machine: i7 860 cpu and Gigabyte GA-P55-UD4 motherboard (see specs) and by using Corsair's Memory Configurator with motherboard --->Gigabyte --->GA-P55-UD4P (the only difference between the two is Smart TPM encryption) I get the list with the two (amongst many other types) types of memory:

1. TW3X4G1600C9DHX specified for 1.8V/9-9-9-24-2T and
  2. TW3X4G1333C9A 1.5V/9-9-9-24-2T

so I'm confused by your answer that the memory is not a correct one for this motherboard?

2) I can get one of the above two models of memory here and considering that I'm not interested to do any OC-ing and the memory fits the board, am I better to go with DDR3-1333 type specified to work at 1.5V which is according to the Gigabyte's specs:

• 4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 16 GB of system memory
  • Dual channel memory architecture
  • Support for DDR3 2200/1333/1066/800 MHz memory modules
  • Support for non-ECC memory modules

(I plan to buy 4x2GB) ?

Sincerely,

Gour

And I have asked that the list for that MB be updated on our configurator.

Pls. do so 'cause I got reply from technical support to use memory configurator to choose the right memory for my system. :roll:

Sincerely,

Gour

I've bought this part also for my i5 upgrade. I didn't put it together yet but I notice some issues here. What ram speeds can I achieve with this kit and is it recommended to get some other ram? I want to overclock my system, but I don't know how much the ram speed does affect system performance.

• Corsair Employee
If you have already purchased the modules and the reseller will not let you return them then please call in and talk to our customer service they will help you get the correct modules 888-222-4346 or 510-657-8747 Ext "3"

I've contacted the shop and I hope they will provide a solution. Their website did not provide info about the voltage this mem needs. If this turns out to be no solution, is it possible then to contact customer support in Europe? Or is it only located in the USA?

Only the DDR1333 part is listed TW3X4G1600C9DHX is not on the list for the link I posted.

And I have asked that the list for that MB be updated on our configurator.

Probably want to have a look at the MSI P55-GD80 list, it has some 1.8v RAM listed.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I got an ASUS P7P55 LE (+ i7 860), and it was too listed accepting this 1.8v memory.

Anyways, I dropped the voltage to 1.6v, and still running fine at 1600mhz at default timings. I can bump the timings to 8-8-8-20 @ 1333 also at 1.6v.

Everything seem to working fine for the last week or so.

Can I assume if everything behaves at this voltage, it would be within the safe specs?

Cheers

Archived