Tino001

Hi, I am having problems with these memory modules. As follows :

System :

Motherboard : Striker II Extreme

Bios : 1104

CPU : QX9650

Memory : TW3X4G1333C9DHX (2 x 2gig)

I have installed the memory using the following settings :

9,9,9,24, 2T - all the rest are set on auto. Mem Voltage set between 1.6 - 1.8 (ie tried all)

With any one module memtest finds no errors. Tested in 1st, 2nd, 3rd slot. Both modules alone pass memtest without errors.

If I add the second module in 1st and 3rd or 2nd and 4th mem slots memtest basically restarts system at exactly 48% of test 1.

Have tried altering voltage setting of Ram between 1.6-1.8 with same problem. Have Enable and disable loadline calibration. Have reduced memory frequency to 1066. Have tried leaving all settings to auto, have lost count of what else I tried !! And always same problem - restart at 48% of test 1 in memtest.

Legacy USB disabled throughout all testing.

The system runs but get random freezing in Vista 64.

I have read all the forum posts I found and no one seems to have similar problem, was just wondering if I am doing something silly and just missing it or if the problem might be in motherboard.

Thanks for any advice / help.

Tino

Tried upping the NB voltage. Was set on auto with hardware monitor reading 1.32V, I upped that gradually to 1.5 with same result on memtest. Also tried upping SB voltage as was suggested in some other thread up to 1.65 with same memtest result. (restart at 48% test 1)

Tino

• Corsair Employee
No on the striker II Extreme the Setting should be called SPP System platform Processor. But when I answer this type of question it is not MB specific you would be responsible for knowing your MB and it's settings.

I'm sorry but there is no SPP voltage.

These are all the voltage options in the bios :

CPU Voltage

Loadline Calibration

CPU PLL Voltage

CPU VTT Voltage

Memory Voltage

NB Core Voltage

SB Core Voltage

CPU GLT_REF0 Ratio

CPU GLT_REF1 Ratio

CPU GLT_REF2 Ratio

CPU GLT_REF3 Ratio

NB GTL_REF Ratio

DDR3 CHA1 Ref Voltage

DDR3 CHB1 Ref Voltage

DDR3 CHA2 Ref Voltage

DDR3 CHB2 Ref Voltage

All these are set to auto except for the memory voltage which I gradually increased from 1.6 to 1.84 with no change, and NB core voltage which i also gradually increased to 1.5

Tino

My advice would be

NB Core Voltage = 1.32v - 1.4v

SB Core Voltage = 1.50v - 1.55v

SPP is the memory controller although many people think that the MCP is the memory controller.

SPP = System Platform Processors

MCP = Media and Communications Processors

• Corsair Employee

I just went and checked the MB it is called NB Core Voltage on the MB I have here in the lab.

Based on what you have posted I would get the MB replaced or at least test the modules in another known working system to be sure.

it's very interesting becuse i have striker 2 extreme motherboard as well.. It's in the own box :)..

It's exactly the same error except memory (4g1600c9).. I changed motherboard to rampage extreme but the same problem still exist. Random freeze with vista x64.. I spent over 500£ for motherboard and over 200£ for memory but even at stock speed, it is not working stable.. But i know what i'm gonna do: if i won't find a solution, i'm gonna throw away all my corsair memory..

Have you overclocked your CPU? Are you using 4 modules? What speed are you attempting to run all four modules at?

it's very interesting becuse i have striker 2 extreme motherboard as well.. It's in the own box :)..

It's exactly the same error except memory (4g1600c9).. I changed motherboard to rampage extreme but the same problem still exist. Random freeze with vista x64.. I spent over 500£ for motherboard and over 200£ for memory but even at stock speed, it is not working stable.. But i know what i'm gonna do: if i won't find a solution, i'm gonna throw away all my corsair memory..

Have you overclocked your CPU? Are you using 4 modules? What speed are you attempting to run all four modules at?

No, I have never ever overclocked my cpu, memory etc... All of them set default speed.. I already have a topic: http://www.asktheramguy.com/v3/showthread.php?t=78093 :)

as you said before: 2 gb modules doesn't work properly.. I couldn't fine any other logical explanation..

Hi i have the same board.....

And the same problem but!!!!!

did you run memtest86 or memtest86(plus)

if i use the normal memtest my board did also restart about 48 %

in memtest86 plus it will pass without error....

But you have right the memmory you use will not lead to stable system

I have got troulbe for 1 year ... this not the boards or the ram fault its the chipset who is the crap (sorry that my opinion)

I will RMA the board from now on ...and if 3 RMA are passed i will get my money back i hope for that!

Hey RamGuy can we make a stiky post about that board?

(for settings and general troubleshooting)

Hi again,

So I have spent a good part of the day testing with another set of RAM modules, a different make but very similar ie 2X2gig 1333. Again tried several different settings but always same problem. ie single module passes memtest fine, but using two modules together get restart at 48% of test 1.

As regards to memtest as far as I can recall its 86 not 86+, but will have to run that again to be sure and not in mood of restarting computer once again!! Will test some more using 86+ tomorrow.

Tino

Hi again,

So I have spent a good part of the day testing with another set of RAM modules, a different make but very similar ie 2X2gig 1333. Again tried several different settings but always same problem. ie single module passes memtest fine, but using two modules together get restart at 48% of test 1.

As regards to memtest as far as I can recall its 86 not 86+, but will have to run that again to be sure and not in mood of restarting computer once again!! Will test some more using 86+ tomorrow.

Tino

Download Memtest86+ V2.11 from--->

and extract the ISO image. Burn the ISO image to an CD-ROM disk.

Hey Tino,

i have checked it its the same it dosen´t matter wich type of ram

I have also used 1600mhz dominator.....

single channel okay ...

dual ... reboot after 48 %

Hi again,

Tino

Hey,

So I left Memtest 86+ running for a good 7 hours, using both RAM modules and got no errors (some 9 passes or there abouts)

Will get some more testing done using Prime 95 and see what happens there. Used to opt for Memtest as quicker to re-check between restarts and changing settings !!

Did some googling re 86 and 86+, found this on wikipedia :

Known Problems :

" There are two versions (or "streams") of memtest86. One is simply known as MemTest86 (current version 3.5) and the other is known as MemTest86+ (current version 2.11). They both have almost identical screen appearance. The 3.5 version is known to fail on some (or many, or most) computers with 4 gb of installed memory (the failure results in a spontaneous system reboot soon after the program starts running) "

So maybe its down to a memtest problem after all !! Will see what happens in Prime 95....

Tino

Tino001 short info about my test system and my experience:

I have used:

Asus Striker 2 extreme

Intel QX9650 (c0 stepping)

I have checked the following modules in that board:

XMS 3 with 1333Mhz

XMS 3 with 1600Mhz

and

Dominator 1800Mhz

and have had also a Thermaltake 1200 Watt to test.

---------------------------------------------------

1. Check if the Thermaltake 1200 Watt PSU is a new release.

The old release of that PSU is incompatible with that board.

I have talked to Thermaltake about that issue and they have swapt my PSU

against a new version.....

2. The XMS3 wont work in my board i got a freez about all 30 min to 6h but the the board freezes reliable! (this thest was done about a year ago)

Belive me i have used the correct settings.

3. I use the Dominator 1800Mhz series at the moment, the board does not freez anymore but still it is not 100% stable....

4. Don´t Overvolt to much cause the memorycontroller will get instable if you go above 1,85 DDR3 Voltage.

5. Rising the NB Voltage won´t have any affect about stability on my board.

I have given up with that board.

Hope for you that you will get a stable system.

p.s. RamGuy is it possible that you changed the revision so that this board will work with the xms3 series?

• Corsair Employee
p.s. RamGuy is it possible that you changed the revision so that this board will work with the xms3 series?

No we never seen a problem like what you have described.

1. Check if the Thermaltake 1200 Watt PSU is a new release.

The old release of that PSU is incompatible with that board.

I have talked to Thermaltake about that issue and they have swapt my PSU

against a new version.....

2. The XMS3 wont work in my board i got a freez about all 30 min to 6h but the the board freezes reliable! (this test was done about a year ago)

Believe me i have used the correct settings.

A: I would suspect that if you had a failing PSU and the manufacturer replaced because of some known issue that may have been causing a lot of other problems as well.

About the PSU.... (dont forgett i am from germany and i have the version with that plug / voltages)

I have talked to the Thermaltake technician... he told me that there are 2 boards on the market who make some trouble.

1. The Asus Striker II extreme

2. And a other board ( I think the NSE)

The technician can not answered me that question why the old revision is not compatible.... I think its a to high ripple / noise level an some lines.

Hope i could help.....

I have a question RamGuy:

As my Core I7 has a faulty VGA card....i want to try these modules in my old board

I have Tripple Kit 1600mhz Domiator for 1.65Volt

Can i insert 2 of these sticks in my Striker 2 Extreme?

Archived