Corsair Community

TWIN2X4096-8500C5D not stable at 1066 MHz

haon8

Hi all,

I just got a set of the above mentioned RAM. I knew that it wouldn't run at 1066 MHz at auto settings, so I did all of the needed tweaking. I set the timings to 5-5-5-15-2T along with trying to set the voltage anywhere between 2.0-2.15 volts. At recommended timings at 2.15 volts my computer runs decently stable without much load, but as soon as I do even something as minor as watching a video on youtube I'll blue screen and need to restart my computer. The RAM runs perfectly fine at 800 MHz and auto settings. What else can I do it get it to run steady?

Rest of my setup:

Foxconn A7DA-S

Phenom II X4 940

Radeon HD 4870

X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Titanium Pro

Oh, and no other component of my setup is overclocked.

Phenom and Phenom II have issues with high end memory due to their wonky memory controller. I advise those who purchase the AMD processors to also purchase mid-line memory if they want to ensure that the system will work correctly at the full speed of the memory.

My advice is to drop to 800Mhz or return the 1066Mhz and purchase 800Mhz memory for your AMD product.

Yes, but they are not on RAM forums with issues trying to achieve 1066Mhz. Check all the memory forums and see that this issue is very prevalent.

If you can not gain 1066 and use the same settings that others who have your board are using, then the only two courses are either drop to 800, or RMA the mainboard or CPU.

Conversely, if you believe that the memory is at issue, you can either test the memory in a known working board that actually runs with 1066 and no issues, or you can just RMA the memory.

Good luck with your searching. Hopefully it doesn't take you a long time to decide what is at issue.

Let me be clear. There are MANY people with the Phenom/Phenom II who have this issue on these forums and it is such forums as this where you will find the issues.

Well I see tons of others that have no problem, so they must be doing something right.

Well awesome. This is the SECOND set of Corsair Dominator 4GB that I've owned, and it's defective just like the first. I must've gotten it running on a fluke yesterday, but when I tried starting it today the CPU fan just pulses. Trying different slots doesn't work, and only one stick is good.

Let's get them replaced directly, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them.

But if that is still an issue I would look for some other cause.

To be honest I REALLY don't want them replaced. There shouldn't be anything that Corsair can do that Newegg CAN'T do. Unless Newegg handles their products badly (and they don't, I've done business with them for years) then there would be no difference. All I want is a refund, and I'm sending it back to Newegg today.

Based on how we test memory, it's very unlikely for a customer to get 2 consecutive bad sets of memory. Since they run fine at DDR800, the issue is likely the memory controller when you are attempting to run DDR1066 as Derek noted.

Guess I didn't make myself clear; the RAM doesn't work at 800 MHz either. The first set had one stick that SEEMED to run well at 1066 (but I didn't test it extensively). The second worked for a day (though not at 1066) and wouldn't even boot the second day. I couldn't change the RAM speed.

I sent the RAM back for a refund.

Archived