Corsair Community

Expierencing random shutdowns/restarts.

Leaderz0rz

Well I had just built my new computer at the end of November and everything was fine until about 1 month ago. My computer started restarting at random, even if it had been idle on the desktop. Then it started shutting down while playing a game or just surfing the web. When it shutdowns, I cannot restart it until I unplug it from the wall and wait like 20 seconds, then it will start again. It will be fine for a few days then start shutting down again. I first thought it was a heat issue, so I've been monitoring all my components and their temperatures even under load are not in the high area. So my second guess is that maybe my power supply is going bad. I have a UPS with voltage regulation so I don't believe its power coming from my wall. I thought maybe something was shorting out but I assumed it would of started as soon as I built it and not a few months after wards.

Sorry forgot to mention, I did run memtest and found a bad module, and removed it. I've been running on the 2 good modules that have past full tests of memtest and still have the same problems. The issue is that it can be a few days between shutdowns that I really can't attempt to recreate it in safemode. This is currently the only computer that I have and I need it for online classes, so I can't leave it sitting in safemode. I will reboot into safemode and leave it over night and see if it happens though. It can happen under heavy load, no load, at the windows login screen, sometimes it will reboot as it's loading into windows. It's actually quite similar to the other post here about the 1000w power supply. I've also had the screen go black while playing a game and I had to do a hard reboot, but that has only happened once.

• Corsair Employee
From what you describe, I would suspect some other issue than the PSU. If the PSU were failing you would have very consistent problems. Are you able test the PSU in a different system just to rule it out altogether?

It's the only computer that I have right now, so I guess I can take it to a computer store and they can test it. I'm not sure what the issue could be if its not heat related, its not memory related, its not voltage from the wall, its not a short as far as I know since it just started happening.

I left it in safemode all night and no shutdown or restart, I then left it in windows downloading the PTR for World of Warcraft and it hasn't shutdown or restarted. From what I can tell though, sometime tomorrow it should restart or shutdown as it seems to do it every other day. I'm really at a loss here and I'm not sure what I should be checking. I know you guys mainly deal with memory and power supplies but any kind of insight could be helpful to me right now.

• Corsair Employee

With random shut downs that are difficult to reproduce, I would suspect a software issue. The only way to rule the PSU out completely would be to test it in a different system, or try a different PSU in your own system. If this is not an option, then we can try replacing the PSU for you, however it may or may not resolve the problem.

To have the PSU replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

• Corsair Employee
Can a software issue really cause it to shutdown and not be able to turn on again till I unplug the power cord from the PSU?

It may not be directly tied to software, but a software problem could indirectly effect the hardware and cause these issues. For example, a video driver could effect your voltage regulation on the video card and force the card to pull more than 12v from the 12v rail. If it asks for 14v for example, this would trip an overvoltage circuit on the PSU and the PSU would shut itself immediately to prevent damage from the system. Sometimes when a system is not shut down properly you can run into similar issues. I am not saying this is what is happening, but its one possibility.

What would be the best method of detecting if such a thing is occurring? I do not want to waste your guys time RMAing my power supply if its not broken.

I just had it shut off again after being on for 3 days,

I tried to turn on the PC and it would turn on for 2 seconds and then off (no POST errors) I then tried to turn it on again and it wouldn't even power on.

I turned off the power supply and unplugged it. I plugged the power supply back in and turned it on.

I then tried to power up the PC and got nothing.

I let it set for about 10 mins and tried to power up the PC and it turned on for 2 seconds and then off (no POST errors) I then turned the power supply off and turned it back on. I turned on the PC and now its working fine again.

• Corsair Employee
Unfortunately, the only way to rule the PSU out completely would be to test it in a different system, or try a different PSU in your own system and see if you can still duplicate the same results.

Well I have an unique situation in that I have to have this computer daily so my only options for testing is buying a new power supply or setting something up with you guys where you send me a power supply, then I send you mine. I don't know if you guys have a service like that or not.

Archived