Corsair Community

TR3X6G1600C8D in an 8 GB pack?

N3TD3ViL

Well, $#!T!!!!

Charged:

Your credit/debit card or other payment has been successfully charged. Please note that you may no longer make changes to your order.

I guess I'll have to see if can sell them on Craigslist or something. CRAP!!!! :mad:

I'm going to attempt to cancel my order and just start over. I'll have to call first thing in the morning. I hope I can.

You can cancel. Just call them.

Well, $#!T!!!!

I guess I'll have to see if can sell them on Craigslist or something. CRAP!!!! :mad:

I'm going to attempt to cancel my order and just start over. I'll have to call first thing in the morning. I hope I can.

Well, I've installed my Corsair XMS3 DHX TW3X4G1600C9DHX ram and there's something wrong. According to CPU-Z, my memory is only running at 533mhz, so in dual channel...it's running at 1066 when my 4gb of DDR3-1333 (4 dimms populated) were running at 1333mhz. I increased the voltage to 1.8v, since it was set at 1.5v in the bios, and while it tightened up the timings from 9-9-9-24 to 7-7-7-20, the speed is still the same - 533mhz. What's the problem?

This is just an update. I'm currently running 2 of the Corsair XMS3 DHX (2x2gb) dual channel kits, a total of 8gb, at the specified speeds and timings of 9-9-9-24 @ 1600 and I've not had any problems whatsoever. This baby is humming nicely!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145200

Model#:TW3X4G1600C9DHX

http://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggImage/productimage/20-145-200-05.jpg

• 1 month later...

Wow.. that was an amazingly informative read!

I am planning on purchasing 8GB as well. Need it for video editing and rendering. CPU is Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz.

Still researching my final system specs. Memory has me the most concerned. Especially since my mobo is Asus P5Q3 deluxe. WIll be delivered on Fri 4/17.

I believe I understood almost everything that you (DerekT)were teaching. Seems like I can run 8GB on my mobo (supports up to 16gb), but I'd have to get 2 sets of 2x2GB. My mobo has 4 slots. This will max out the board, but 8gb should last me a long while.

Not looking to Overclock... or not much. Stability is my main concern.

So, I'm looking for a recommendation as to what Corsair memory would serve me best for my needs with this mobo. With all the bad junk being said about this mobo being VERY picky about the memory you use, Im scared to buy anything from anyone!!! I dont know if I can trust ASUS's Qualified Vendor List o' memory, as people seem to have probs no matter what mem they buy.

I suspect alot of the prob is impatience, lack of understanding, BIOS revsions and combinations of these and other factors. So I know I need to read with caution.

Which is why I need help choosing memory.

What is the best option for me? Does Corsair ignore the ASUS QVL list and recommend their own preference based on their testing with a particular mobo?

I just want to minimize my chance of needing to RMA.... or worse, having to buy more memory due to failing to research first and then getting stuck with working, but incompatible memory for my mobo.

Thanks!

Well, there are several reasons I would like 8gb.. tell me what you think.

0) Let me start off by addressing your question with a question - is there a reason why I should not want or do not really need 8GB? :roll:

1) I usually keep a PC for 3+ yrs. (The one I have now is 5+ yrs old!) and I prefer to build it once and not have to crack open the case again unless something goes wrong. I know adding memory is usually really easy... but I want to stock it with plenty of memory from the start. Especially if acceptable memory is available and stability is possible.

2) I plan to do lots of video and photo editing and like to have lots of applications open at the same time. I want to ensure I have a little excess capacity - not push the limits of "just enuff" memory.

3) I am currently in the fortuante position to be able to afford to put in 8gb right now. So I wanted to take advantage of that position.

4) I want the overall PC configuration to be fast, avoiding bottlenecks. I believe memory is a key component of this particular requirement.

5) This mobo supports up to 16GB. I'd like to think that 8gb is not going to be a problem. Though I am concerned and somewhat confused over whether or not using two 4GB kits (each kit containing two 2GB stick pairs) will or will not be a problem for the ASUS P5Q3 Deluxe.

As you know there are many people posting horror stories on this mobo - but you can find lost of storeis for all of the boards if you look hard enuff... not sure if My mobo is TRULY a problem or is just more popular so more users have it and therefore more people have probs. There must be many people using this mobo that are NOT complaining?

FYI - the mobo was just delivered to me! The Revision is 1.02G, in case that matters.

Thanks again!

• Corsair Employee

You should be fine with 8 Gig but you need to be running at 64 Bit O.S. and Applications to take advantage of that much memory and this would apply.

With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR1066 or DDR1333 and set the memory Voltage to 1.7-1.90 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Ram Guy,

I will be installing Windows Vista Home Premium 64 SP1, once the system is built. Today I received the mobo, Windows CD, CPU fan, power supply. Still waiting for the CPU, and of course still need to buy memory.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I am not sure whether or not I can really trust the Asus Qualified Vendor List. Seems like people who follow it still have problems sometimes - even when not overclocking. Then there are others who claim to be using memory NOT on the QVL and they seem to have NO problems.

So - I really just need an honest/sincere recommendation as to whether or not Corsair memory and the Asus P5Q3 Deluxe (Rev 1.02g) will get along for the long haul.. and if so, what is your recommendation of the particular 8GBs of Corsair memory I should buy to get excellent reliability and performance?

Thanks!

(PS... Im wondering why I just received a Rev 1.02g mobo when 1.03g has been out for a long while? I didnt like that the mobo retail box I received was not sealed... it doesnt even look like these boxes even come sealed )

Most people who post about getting 8 GB don't do anything else other than surf the internet, so it's best to ask first, and then tell someone to return the memory they'll never use, rather than troubleshoot for a couple of weeks in futility :)

2) was the correct answer BTW :)

• Corsair Employee
(PS... Im wondering why I just received a Rev 1.02g mobo when 1.03g has been out for a long while? I didn't like that the mobo retail box I received was not sealed... it doesn't even look like these boxes even come sealed )

A: You would need to ask ASUS about that, I am sorry I would not know.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I am not sure whether or not I can really trust the Asus Qualified Vendor List. Seems like people who follow it still have problems sometimes - even when not overclocking. Then there are others who claim to be using memory NOT on the QVL and they seem to have NO problems

A: MB Makers QVL Lists are often miss understood and miss represented.

They are merely a list of hardware tested by the respective Manufacturer and can or cannot be relevant. Especially with memory in that memory IC's continually go through changes and the memory IC's you get from say Micron today may not be or perform exactly the same as IC's you get from them tomorrow. In our case we have never submitted our modules to any MB maker for them to qualify as we do our own testing that is more thorough then any MB maker.

Archived