Corsair Community

Flip removable media bit (RMB)

Askarii

• 2 months later...

I was thinking doing something like this with a third party partition manager:

Creating 3 partitions.

The first one would be for my files and programs and also GRUB4DOS would reside here.

The second partition would have Win7 x32.

The third partition would have Win7 x64.

Would it be possible using the Grub4Dos or some other program to be able to choose which partition I want to boot, second or third, thus I would have a much easier and faster way of installing Win7 and still have the first partition available for copying files to/from the USB drive from Windows.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old thread but please add me to the list of people who want this function. I'll be buying a lexar drive now instead of corsair specifically for this reason. As the size of USB drives grow, more and more people will be looking at using them in a more permanently attached mode.

That will work from what we tested but we found that the partition would eventually become corrupt and the whole drive would need to be reformatted.

Can you provide any more information (if you remember/are still around) on this? I'm not 100% sure what it's in reference to in this thread.

Thanks

• Corsair Employee
Can you provide any more information (if you remember/are still around) on this? I'm not 100% sure what it's in reference to in this thread.

And Madz please go back and read through the whole thread I think I have provided enough information on this topic...

Guys the thread is 3 pages long - believe me, I read it - RAM Guy with respect the information you provided here is basically "not supported as microsoft don't support it and in our testing the drives eventually became corrupt".

What I was hoping for more information on is the statement about "eventually becoming corrupt". Why eventually? What is occurring over time here - I would have thought if you manage to create a valid partition on one of these things then the battle is won - are we talking about some sort of wear leveling issue or... ?

The reason I'm asking for more information is so I can then make the relevant changes for my usage - eg if it's an issue with excessive writes I can turn off file journalling / paging etc and so on...

• Corsair Employee
Our drives do not support this feature and neither does Microsoft, so bottom line we never put any effort into this. We did do some testing with some of the software that was being reported and able to work with our drives but I already stated what we found. I am sorry but all of this as been stated in this thread.

Mate we all know microsoft don't support it - that's why we are asking for the bit flipping utility in the first place! Just because MS don't support something doesn't make it unworthy. When the OS installers were designed USB keys were small pathetic slow things you wouldn't dream of running a system off. Things change and so will this - eg Windows 8 has "windows to go" capability. Anyway I can tell we're just wasting each others time so I'll leave it at that.

Just spent hours trying to make my Flash Voyager GT - 64GB A double partitioned / cross-platform SUPER UTILITY storage device. (1-fat32 partition, 2-exfat partition. This WOULD work with mac/win/linux ) only to come across this thread. Windows is the only OS giving me this grief because of this removable bit. Is it really too much to ask for a flash drive that can have multiple partitions across these three Operating Systems? or for that matter a converter tool? I'm blown away that this seemingly appears to be impossible! I'm an IT professional that could benefit from a ONE flash drive for ALL scenarios. I'm sure more would agree.

• Corsair Employee
I am sorry Guys I do understand your frustration but it will not happen with these drives, now once a Windows O.S. comes out supporting that feature we might release a new product that will support it. But I am sorry to say that is not something that is easy to add after the fact; depending on the controller that is used. There are two parts to support that, the hard ware and the firmware. In most cases the controller used will not support that feature.

• 6 months later...

I just went out and bought the 128GB Flash Voyager GT with the hope of turning into a Windows To Go key. Having flipped the RMB on several of my previous keys (Rage XTs, Sandisks) without an issue, I didn't even consider it might be a problem. I've just spent about 2 hours trying to do it before finally stumbling across this thread :(

I'm guessing no one has found a way to do this given the lack of support from Corsair? I'm going to keep trying for a bit as I like a good challenge, and will post back if I find anything. If not, looks like I'm back to the store to see if I can get a refund :)

Guess I should have done my research before buying...

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
I am sorry Guys I do understand your frustration but it will not happen with these drives, now once a Windows O.S. comes out supporting that feature we might release a new product that will support it. But I am sorry to say that is not something that is easy to add after the fact; depending on the controller that is used. There are two parts to support that, the hard ware and the firmware. In most cases the controller used will not support that feature.

Any news? Or any Tool avaible?

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Here's another vote for a utility.

I'm going through the MCSA training materials for Windows 8. One of the features is "Windows To Go". This requires that one have a USB memory device of 32 GB or more capacity and configured as fixed. There are a half a dozen or so such on the market, all being sold as "enterprise" for ludicrous prices. If Microsoft "doesn't support this feature" then somebody needs to tell them about it.

Archived