Corsair Community

2 pairs of TWIN2X2048-6400C4 at full speed?

digitalether

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I hope someone is still reading this thread...

I have the same problems with 4x1 gb xms2 PC6400 C4 and the P5n-e SL mobo.

Also I have read the suggested thread and did some overclocking

These are my settings :

memory @ 698,2 mhz / FSB @ 1280 mhz => stable for now

Is it correct to say that this results in : (698,2x1280)/1066 ~= 838,3 MHZ DRAM?

Cheers.

• 1 month later...

Hi there, I signed up purely because of this thread, because it seems like many people (not only here) are having massive problems with upgrading in RAM with this mobo.

Im far from an expert in these sorta things I know the basics really. I would really like to upgrade in RAM from the two single 1GB DDR2-800 sticks to full blown 4 Gig. I haven't tried putting in 4 gig yet but I'd really like to know what would be the best solution to upgrade. I dont mind going and buying 2x2Gig. Is there a major difference in 667 to 800?

I also read about that not matter what I add I will only get 3.3Gig out of it or is this just Vista? Im running XP 32bit Pro and have been needing the extra memory for a while now. So i really could do with some help for a n00b.

:biggrin:

Hi there, I signed up purely because of this thread, because it seems like many people (not only here) are having massive problems with upgrading in RAM with this mobo.

It is not this board. This issue is across the board (no pun intended) with both Intel and AMD. When one populated a board with two DRAM modules there is a load on the Memory Controller (Northbridge). Now naturally, that load increases when you double the modules and slot population. For that reason, the Memory Controller has a hard time keeping up at the full speed of a 2 DRAM module kit. It is advised to drop the bandwidth and raise the voltage of the Northbridge to accept the extra load.

Im far from an expert in these sorta things I know the basics really. I would really like to upgrade in RAM from the two single 1GB DDR2-800 sticks to full blown 4 Gig. I haven't tried putting in 4 gig yet but I'd really like to know what would be the best solution to upgrade. I dont mind going and buying 2x2Gig. Is there a major difference in 667 to 800?

In benchmarks, yes. In reality, with a Core 2 Duo processor, the differentiation is ~3 -5 percent. In other words, theoretical bandwidth increases but the reality is far smaller. However, I advise a move to 2 X 2048 as this allows not only full speed, but is far more gentle with the Memory Controller and I am nice to my hardware. :D:

I also read about that not matter what I add I will only get 3.3Gig out of it or is this just Vista? Im running XP 32bit Pro and have been needing the extra memory for a while now. So i really could do with some help for a n00b.

Your computer has many methods in which to use memory. There are memory storage and caches all over the motherboard. These devices contain some of the below method of storage:

* RAM

* ROM

* Cache

* Dynamic RAM

* Static RAM

* Flash memory

* Virtual memory

* Video memory

* BIOS

For example, your sound, video, keyboard, chipset caches, I/O controller (IDE, SATA, etc) caches . . . Now these device with discrete and cache RAM need to have their "Addresses" so that the computer knows where they are in order to query and access them.

You computer also has System Resource Memory. Consider this as an index of addresses that tell the computer where everything is for access as mentioned above. The computer needs to know that a certain boundary of addresses will contain certain functions to perform when commanded.

Memory-mapped devices (such as your video card) will use some of that physical address space, as will the BIOS ROMs. After all the non-memory devices have had their say, there will be less than 4GB of address space available for RAM below the 4GB physical address boundary. Now a 32bit Operating system such as Windows XP 32bit and VISTA 32bit have the ability to access 2^32 bits = 4GB. Now if you have an 8800GTX with 768MB of DRAM, then that memory must be addressed in the space of the 4GB and you lose some of the system dram to the addressing. This continues with all other devices, leaving you with less than the 4GB. Since Windows can address up to 4GB, then with 3GB, there will be the 3 --> 4GB mapping so you should not lose that DRAM with 3GB unless your devices demand it. For example, SLi with 2 X 8800GTX 768MB will certainly take away from the 3GB.

Hope this helps to clarify things a bit.

Ahhh. I get you! Thanks so much! I had no idea that the memory on my graphics card had to be addressed like that. That clears up plenty!

On that note I think I will probably get a 2gig kit then, (CORSAIR XMS CL5 2X 2GB DUAL CHANNEL KIT 6400)

What about the latency? All this 5-5-5-18 and 4-4-4-12.

Sorry for plucking your brain, you explain it much better than any motherboard manual.

• Corsair Employee
The only way to run full speed DDR800 with that MB would be with one of our Twin2x4096-6400C4DHX sets of modules if you cannot get the 4 you have rnning at DDR800 with the settings I have posted IE: 2.1 Volts with the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage set to +.2 Volts. Or try over clocking the CPU with the memory set to DDR667.

Alright, I havent tried yet putting my 4 gig in, still waiting for it to arrive. To make sure I get better compatibility im upgrading to xp64. Im hoping that it should run without dropping down to 667, especially since its only 2x2gig sticks.

What is better though? Running 2GBx2 sticks at 800mhz, or running 4x2GB sticks at 667Mhz?

I read here a guy upgraded to 8 gig ram but had to drop to 667. Is it worth getting the extra ram and dropping to 667? Im trying to get the best out my pc as I do 3D animation.

Having the same problem with 4 sticks of TWIN2x4096-6400C5. Vista 64-bit, can't boot with 4 sticks 5-5-5-18 800. Works fine with 2 sticks. Will try to clock RAM @ 667 (is that correct? Same solution as the smaller sticks of RAM?).

UPDATE: Running fine @ 667. Still would like to hit 800. I guess I'll try to push the processor clock to 1280 or so.

• 1 year later...

P5N-E is running my 4gb of memory at 800 (1:1) unlinked with the E6750 oc to 3.2

My cpu is the C2d 6750

Another thing that I dont udnerstand what is that "C2d 6750" and "E6750" means which setting is that or how do you added up things to 6750?

what is that "oc to 3.2" means?

Archived