Corsair Community

2 pairs of TWIN2X2048-6400C4 at full speed?

digitalether

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello, I am having the same issue as most people are with trying to use more than 3 sticks of ram on the p5n-e sli without setting them down to 667. I am considering that the only real solution would be to get a set of 2gb sticks so I would be getting the same amount of Memory using only 2 dimms. Does anyone know whether or not I will be able to run them at the stock setting of 800mhz? If so, I would greatly appretiate if you could suggest a compatible pair running at 800mhz with settings of either 5-5-5-12 2t or 4-4-4-12 2t.

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee

What is the error message and did you load setup defaults and set the voltage and timings when you changed modules?

Also You'll need to install MS patch 929777 from Microsoft for more than 3 GIG in Win Vista. You can search for it at http://www.microsoft.com.

PLEASE NOTE: There are two versions for the specific version of Vista you have.

• 2 weeks later...

P5N-E is running my 4gb of memory at 800 (1:1) unlinked with the E6750 oc to 3.2. I had to bump up the voltage to 2.2. Stable for a couple of hours. When I had it at 2.1 it would stay up for about 2 minutes and then bsod.

1.46 vcore auto.

Hope that helps. I am not going to fry my memory am I????

Thanks!

Eric

Seems your problem w/ running 4 gigs w/ the rig u have is a glitch in the mobo. I had the same problem when I went to 4 gigs from 2.Strangely enough , there is a certain range of speeds that 4 gigs just won't do on this mobo. If you have 800 mhz ram , forget running 4 gigs at that speed.you will have to either underclock it below around 750 mhz or overclock it above around 850 mhz. Make sure you unlink your ram in the bios , then either underclock w/ same timings or overclock it & loosen them a bit. I'm running at 5-5-5-15 2t at 876 mhz. In advanced settings , set tRC to 24 & tWTR to 15 , all others on auto .You may also have to increase the voltage of your ram if u overclock it & up the NB core also. I went from blue screens & hard freezes to perfectly stable doing this. Remember ... 4 Gigs of ram & 800 mhz is just pure evil on this mobo. Hope this helps . :laughing:

It finally happened on the second day - BSOD. I have my 4x1gb at 800. I guess I could losen the timing, but I am thinking of removing the extra 2 gb. I had it completely stable before adding it. The voltage at 2.2 is a little high anyway. No real speed improvement or need, running XP home. I will bump the voltage down to 2.1.

I know a little bit about the memory, but I was wondering what would be better, running the 4x1 gb at 667 or 2x1 gb stable at 800 and 2.1 v?

I still have the 4x1 gb running at 800 at 2.2 v and almost stable - 1 crash in 4 days.

Thank you!

Eric

That might make a difference on the recommendation.

I am looking for an answer as far as performance.

Thanks!

Eric

I have the same P5ne -sli board and ram [ 4x 1 GB] and had added a 45mm fan to the northbridge cooler and played games without problem. [except the thing is LOUD :sigh!:

I did have a boot -screen freeze, which i recently found out was caused by a 5 1/2" bay media card reader. Removing the mobo connector for its USB solved that.

But once it booted into Xp it ran fine -gaming and regualr work usually 10+ hours daily . I tried a few minutes of Orthos @ 800 speed.

However even after trying many changes in the bios concerning all of the parameters discussed herein, two things always seemed to help for 800 spd.

1) Northbridge up to 1.56v

2) cpu vcore + 100 m to "On".

My cpu is the C2d 6750 and posting 1.344 volts, in CPU-Z. in Bios I have it set to 1.24 vcore or something close.

the ram is set to 2.085 and the command rate to 2t and the other thing to 24, 4-4-4-12 and everything else to auto.

As far as games it was running crysis, ut3, frontlines, COD4 etc. with no problems.

I don't really use this for benchmarks, so can't say much concerning your performance question.

ie I'm not as concerned as the numbers, more real world performance, and stability, and to be a good bang for my buck.

As I have seen the past few months the Nvidia Chipset is the culprit, needs better cooling to begin with, but will also degrade if you keep pooring hyper electricity into it, so I have dropped to 667 speed, and haven't had any noticable game issues.

Of coruse I also have an 8800 512 MB gts, so :D

Hope i helped somewhat, and tip of the hat to Derek t and ram dude as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi RAM GUY,

I have read the whole thread and ready to overclock my memory. I have read DerekT's link and found it very useful. I just need some specs for the RAM. I have ASUS P5N-E SLI and two 2GB sets of CORSAIR CMX2X1024-6400. Total of four sticks. Both sets bought separately. One has two sticks XMS6405 V5.1 and another has 1.90V ver 5.2. They both 5-5-5-12.

I hope it makes more sense to you than to me. What I'd like to ask you is what is the voltage setting should I use for those modules? What should I set NB voltage to?

Thank you

.grig

P.S. I am running Vista 32 Home Premium

• Corsair Employee
With 4 modules I would set the memory Voltage to 2.0 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.05 Volts or 1.35 to 1.45 Volts and with 4 modules DDR667 would be suggested.

Thank you for your reply.

I have it (four sticks) set to DDR667 now with ALL other settings to "auto" - everything works fine. However I'd like to run it at DDR800 if possible. Is it?

Thank you

Archived