Corsair Community

Asus P5K memtest errors

Andreas7506

• Corsair Employee

I think maybe you are making a mountain out of a mole hill

1. Can the Asus board use all memory slots up to 8mb and at 800MHz?

A: Yes but its hit and miss and DDR667 would be suggested with more than two modules installed on most MB's

2. If not what is the maximum memory configuration?

A: See Above!

3. Are most of these problems related to 680i chipset or Asus?

A: NO just a limitation!

4. Do you feel they will be resolved as this chipset and MOBO matures?

A: It's just a chipset/Memory controller limitation.

5. Can 800MHz memory be set to run at 667 and will that help?

A: And what is suggested!

6. Is memory purchased above OK for this MOBO?

A: Yes and will run great just with 4 modules you may need to set the memory frequency at DDR667!

7. Is there another MOBO out here that is SLI ready without these kind of problems?

A: Again it's hit and miss, there is more loading on the system and slowing the memory down is common when the system is fully loaded and nothing new. This has been an issue all along, its just that until recently there were no modules widely available to do it.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally Posted by Drezn

My friend bought and built the exact same system after I got him all tech horny talking about it, and for him it seems to be working without a hitch. I'll try sticking my modules in his machine to see how they perform in memtest86.

I never got to testing it as the whole testing project drowned in my mate moving to his new house. As you say, it's hard to just take his word for it when he says it's running stable... I certainly don't, and for the same reasons you mentioned. It'd be very nice to test it to satisfy my curiosity, but it wouldn't really change anything if his system is indeed stable. I have three machines here that do exactly the same thing, and need exactly the same sort of tweaks to run.

I'm done with the project at this point as it's working fine at DDR2-667 with everything set to auto. I would've liked to see it run at 800, but all the over-volting, resulting wear and heat, and the tweaking required to make it run stable, simply isn't worth the small boost (if any) in performance. These are machines I've build for three friends free of charge, and there's no point in keeping at it really. My sense of professional pride is a little hurt of course, but I think it's pretty much been proven beyond reasonable doubt that trying to make these three machines perform at the manufacturer specified specs without excessive tweaking, is a battle that can't be won.

If I should get to run Memtest86+ on my mates machine, I'll post the results for sure. It's not very likely that the opportunity will present itself though.

I'm glad to hear you're running fine at 667Mhz :biggrin:

I was interested in this thread because I thought about switching to an Intel chipset,

however just saw they have kind of the same limitations as the nvidia ones.

One thing is for sure... if I had it running stable at 667Mhz,

I wouldn't have written my earlier post which is... like Ramguy said 'making a mountain out of a mole hill'.

But just switching to 667Mhz didn't help yet in my case.

So just be happy and don't care about the memtesting,

since like you said... it wouldn't change anything anyways.. :D:

Did you try the 0701 beta patch listed earlier in the post? That's what made all the difference for me, before updating I couldn't run stable at any speed setting. As far as I can tell from using it for a couple of weeks, the only thing that's changed in this one compared to 0603 is the stability.

• 2 weeks later...
And I would try and set the NB/MCH Voltage to + .05 Volts and set the memory voltage to 2.0 Volts and see if its stable with http://www.memtest.org.

Thought i'd pop by to give you all an update.

Well, (touch wood) it appears that my system has been stable for 2+ weeks ever since i tried the above NB and MCH voltages. It turns out (for me anyway), that this was key in stopping the very random lockups at the deskop and playing games or doing work. Also upping the RAM voltage + .05.

After a week of stability of the default RAM FSB setting of 1066 i decided, what the hell. So i went for an overclock from 2.4 to 2.8 and its been rock solid still :eek:

Then i said what the hell again and went from 2.8 to 3.0 and again it appears to be rock solid after about 4 days. Whereas before at lower than default values of FSB 800 and default voltage it would lockup anywhere between the begining of WinXP and about 1 hour of general low stress usage.

In fact, it appears to be very comfortable. It's almost like it prefers to be overclocked. How very bizarre.

So now i am very gratefull for the advice and support given to me from here and my advice to others is DONT GIVE UP!

to Recap what i think is key, or what worked well for me:

Increases Ram voltage +.05 (or higher)

MCH Voltage +.05 (or higher)

NB Voltage +.05 (or higher)

increases these voltages to the next value after the manufactures default value, then re-test your PC. If it still crashes, increase those bastads again to the next available step and retest again.

Also for the sake of overclocking i turned off all of the Q6600 CPU power saving options and locked down the PCIe bus and disabled the spread spectrum (which stops the normal PCI bus from going higher when you overclock).

also Drezn, how's your system holding up?

Hey KingRolo, glad to hear it's working out so well for you! Did you update to the beta BIOS as well or is it working without it?

I don't just have one system you know. I had three of the darn things built for my friends, effectively tripling my fun in not being able to make them work. It's been a month now since I declared the project done, and the systems have been playing all sorts of games ever since, as close to 24/7 as you can possibly get. The beta BIOS and a DDR2-667 setting made everything work at auto, a speed I couldn't even make the system run stable at with tweaking and upping the voltages.

So I'm happy to be in the clearn finally :roll:

Hi Drezn, well to answer your question, to be honest i think the beta bios made little or no difference, because the system was omitting the same lockups at the same settings with both bios's. However after the voltage increases i am all stable now and this is with the beta bios so who knows how my system would react with this same tweaks under the official bios.

cheers.

However after the voltage increases i am all stable now and this is with the beta bios so who knows how my system would react with this same tweaks under the official bios.

It's too bad that one has to wait for such fixes. I agree that these boards are never matured upon release and we are used as beta testers for maturing the BIOS's.

Greetings.

I have not yet participated in these discussions.

But my problem is, what others already have described:

Asus P5K

4x1 GB sticks of Corsair XMS2 6400C4.

Everything default in BIOS.

With all 4 sticks/800Mhz: constant Memtest errors/ BSOD's in Vista x64.

With 2 sticks/800Mhz, tested/rotated: fine.

With 4 sitcks ad 667Mhz: rock solid.

Yesterday I tweaked the mem voltage up to 2.0V, but it is to early to draw any conclusions.

However, I just noticed that ASUS has released the 0704 BIOS:

http://dlsvr01.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/socket775/P5K/P5K0704.zip

I cannot test this until later.

Has anyone tested the new 0704 BIOS ?

/Magnus

Archived