Corsair Community

VS2GBKIT667D2 Problem with Intel DG965WH MB

Gaff_l

Hi,

I'm experiencing memory-related problems building a PC with Intel DG965WH motherboard, Core2 Duo E6300 CPU, 2 x 1GB memory (VS2GBKIT667D2), Antec Truepower Trio 550 psu.

Initially, 3 x beeps from MB indicated no memory. After upgrading to latest BIOS and using all combinations of memory modules/slots it seemed that the MB would sometimes accept both modules in different slots, but never with memory in Channel B slot 0. I thought it was the MB and eventually got it replaced by Intel (although they did say that they VS2GBKIT667D2 was not supported in their "3rd Party Tested Memory" and "Vendor Self Tested Memory" lists).

I've just received the new replacement MB. Same problem. 3 x beeps indicating memory not recognised in any slots.

This suggests a compatibility problem to me, although Corsair's site shows VS2GBKIT667D2 as compatible with DG965WH.

Where do I go from here? :confused:

Thanks!

Hi, specmike.

On the first motherboard, I was able to upgrade BIOS because the system booted intermittently with the mem modules in different slots (after initially getting 3 beeps and being unable to boot).

On the new motherboard I cannot boot at all. Consistently get 3 beeps regardless of which module(s) I use in which slot(s). I guess that means I can't use memtest, since the intel mb is the only one I have that will take DDR2.

Cheers,

Gaff_l

I have no problems replacing the modules. However, I'm not so sure it is a memory issue. This could easily be a power issue as those modules should run fine in that MOBO. Also, I did not look back over this thread but, have you checked with Intel to see what their beep codes mean?

If you want to try replacing the memory, please follow the link in my signature "I Think I Have a Bad Part".

Thanks for your response.

Yes, I have checked with Intel re the beep codes. 3 Beeps = No Memory.

On the power question, that was what I thought with the first motherboard, which also didn't work. Initially I began using an Antec NEO HE 500 psu. Reviewing various forums seemed to suggest a compatibility problem with the Neo HE 500 and the DG965WH motherboard, so I replaced the psu with the Antec Truepower Trio 550.

So... that's two of the same motherboard, and two different psu's. Memory seems to be the only common factor. I'll initiate a memory replacement using your link.

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Well he never updated you so I will.

I have the exact same Mobo/Proc/Ram as the OP. Its the intel retail edge program package so I expect you will be hearing a lot about this in the near future as two of my co-workers got the same package with this ram and are having problems.

My setup worked great.... for about 30 minutes. After 30 minutes I would get a BSOD. Originally I could get it to POST about once every 10 tries. When it would POST it would take anywhere from 20-40 seconds. Then it stopped posting all together.

I completely took the computer apart, took out the CMOS battery for 30 minutes, then put the whole computer back together. It POSTed once, blue screened almost immediately then when back to not posting. I had a stick of kingston 4200 sitting around so I threw it in seeing what would happen. Amazingly it posts. I boot into windows, seems to be working great. I take this opportunity to grab the newest bios and flash the bios. I reboot and everything is still working great. I put the Corsair kit back in and the problems start again. Take the corsair out and put the kingston in and the problems go away.

My two coworkers are having the same problem. One is having the exact same issue as I am. The other's simply turns on for about 1 seconds then turns off. I had them bring in their computers to work so we could play around with them. Sure enough the kingston works flawlessly in the other two. I have a friend with the same VS2GBKIT667D2 that is working fine in his computer(non-DG965WH) and hes going to let me borrow it tomorrow. Ill post how it goes.

Oh, I also ram mem-test on one of the rare posts with the corsair in, it passed.

Well... He brought the ram over last night and I got it to work for about an hour. Then the NO POSTs started again. Had to disconnect everything over night and put the kingston back in. Ill be testing the kingston all day today.

Has anyone had any luck with this board and memory? Im trying to figure out if its a bad batch of boards. I would had to RMA the board just to get a new one with the same issue. If the Kingston holds out today Im just going to exchange the corsair for the kingston. Which makes me sad because every computer I have ever built for personal use has used corsair, until now. :dunno:

Oh yeah, and newegg will want a 15% restocking fee, plus the cost of shipping. Hooray $40-$45 dollars down the drain.

My system is currently

DG965WH

6300 C2D

ATI 1950XTX

Antec P180B Chasis

Antec Trio 650W PSU

200GB WD IDE HDD

250GB WD SATA HDD

LG DVD-RW

Its been running all day perfectly with the kingston in. Everest was running the stability tests, MB temps hovered around 44c and CPU was 38. I dont think its corsair that is at fault, Im nearly positive it intel fault. The only other DDR2 board I have around is a D945Psn. I might put it together tonight. Im not really in the mood since I have disassembled and assembled my computer numerous times in the last 2 days. I picked up a second stick of the kingston today so Ill be testing the board with two sticks to make sure that was not the cause.

If you read reviews on the DG965WH you will see alot of people with this same problem. It will post once then not again. Each time it was problems with compatibility with the ram.

What else could it be? Its the only thing that changes and the difference is night and day.

• Corsair Employee

Let's try replacing your modules!

Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part! Or *New* Tech Support Express” and we will be happy to replace them or it, please note that you are posting from the forum!

I am having this exact same issue, I can put one of the chips in slot 0 but as soon as I install the 2nd into the other channel I have the same issue, what can I do to resolve this... I am running the same 667 2gb kit with the same mobo...

Please help, I have tried upgrading the BIOS.

• Corsair Employee
If they both pass one up then its likely some other problem, what are the settings you are using? I would suggest you load setup defaults and then set the memory frequency manually and the Voltage to 2.1 Volts and please set ‘Write to Precharge delay’ in the BIOS (same page as for latencies) from default 10 to 15 if you have that setting and then test the modules again with the Voltage set to 2.1 Volts!

Hi,

Following on from Jaketeck's posts and my original one... just received my replacement memory yesterday (Australia-based... I guess it takes time to get here!).

Well, exactly the same problem... 3 x beeps = no memory.

I'm considering tearing my hair out, but was rather hoping you'd have a more constructive suggestion?

Cheers,

Gaff

• 4 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee

bestengineer,

I am sorry that you are having a problem, but you have not told me anything that I can use to help you. Please start your our Thread and list your complete system spec and our modules part# and the problem that you are having then I can help you figure out the problem. Until then posting like this does not help me or you find a solution!

• 4 months later...

Archived