Corsair Community

spent $2k today, please help me with timings

Hey RamGuy:)

Today I bought an Asus M2N32 SLI deluxe wireless edition along with a 4200 dual core and some XMS2 CM21024-6400PRO XMS6405v3.1

i dont need glasses to see the sticks are rated @ 5,5,5,12 however being my first experience with AMD64 I would like to know if you have already worked out the finest complete list of timings for the maximum overclock on this board.

I am an Admin of a watercooling/Overclocking website and plan to do a complete review on this rig and I would sure give plenty of thanks to you and this site if you could help me.

this is what i bought..

http://liquidninjas.com/bbs/showthread.php?p=105060#post105060

I'm not pimping our site, I sincerely ask for help or a heads up to fine tune this puppy.

I bought Corsair because nVIDIA reccommends it for this board and my experiences with other XMS moduals in my PCs.

thank you very much in advance.

Steve.

Welcome to the forums, Synthohol!

I've spotted two things in question on your purchases (and remember, this is constructive criticism ;): ).

First, you seem to have purchased two CM2X1024-6400PRO modules instead of a Twin2X2048-6400PRO matched set. This may or may not become a problem depending on your individual modules and your CPU's ability to handle non-matched modules.

For reference, you may want to read: What Is Dual-Channel Memory?

You may also be interested to know that Twin2X2048-6400C4PRO's are available for purchase at a rated 4-4-4-12 latency which will yield a small performance gain.

Second, your Antec Neo 500 may not have the required juice for a pair of 7900GT's which can require up to 22 Amps per card on a dedicated 12v rail. The reccommended 12v rail for SLi is 30 Amps... thus, for your setup, you'd better make sure that two of those three 12v rails are dedicated to the graphics cards.

As for overclocking, since AM2 is still very new on the market, what can and cannot be done with the chips is still up in the air. I would assume that since the cores are exactly the same as the s939 counterparts, you could see the same sorts of results with an appropriate board, power supply, and memory divider.

However, in the future, we will be seeing 35 Watt TDP CPU models comming out which should be extremely good clockers.

Please let us know what you're up to with the OC and we'll try to help!

PLUR

CK

thank you for the response, i am hoping the ram is slightly underrated as were my twinx 2,3,2,6 ddr400 which had BH-5 chips under the spreaders.

i run 2,2,2,5 @ 11x240fsb on my nf7-s with them flawlessly (well 98% anyway)

i am hoping for a high bus speed, i want to see 2.8-2.9 out of the chip if possable.

i will be back after i do my review on the items for my site and ill post back if i hit a brick wall.

thank you again!!

even if i can get 250 bus i will be happy:)

First, you seem to have purchased two CM2X1024-6400PRO modules instead of a Twin2X2048-6400PRO matched set. This may or may not become a problem depending on your individual modules and your CPU's ability to handle non-matched modules.

they are matched in the same package ;) sequential serial numbers too!

i realized you have to join the site to see the pics, i prolly misquoted in text what i got. sorry!

Second, your Antec Neo 500 may not have the required juice for a pair of 7900GT's which can require up to 22 Amps per card on a dedicated 12v rail. The reccommended 12v rail for SLi is 30 Amps... thus, for your setup, you'd better make sure that two of those three 12v rails are dedicated to the graphics cards.

2 18A rails should work, i read a bunch of reviews on this one and its the 550W model, i may have typo'd

Please let us know what you're up to with the OC and we'll try to help!

hey thanx again!!

• 2 weeks later...

ok, 5,5,5,12 1t works just fine at 11x220-11x227.

after 227 i lose stability. has anyone tried the advanced timings for this memory? i have no idea what to put in except auto.

i ran a64 tweaker to see what they are now but i dont know which ones to monkey with.

sofar i can get a 33 second SuperPI, i will be happy i spent 2 grand if i can knock off 3 seconds and be stable.

any help is really appreciated.

TIA!!

i did get it up to 2.75Ghz last night. i set it for 667 ram, dropped HTT to 4 and 1.5v core 2.1v mem and got a 32 second superpi. once i tried to go over 252FSB my OS crashed hard.

i do have an OS on a single ata disk with partitionmagic so rebuilding the raid stripe and cloning to the raid only takes a few minutes. then i unplug the cables from the ATA drive once completed

if you are using raid i suggest you do the same. its alot easier just in case!!!

• 2 weeks later...
ok, 5,5,5,12 1t works just fine at 11x220-11x227.

after 227 i lose stability. has anyone tried the advanced timings for this memory? i have no idea what to put in except auto.

i ran a64 tweaker to see what they are now but i dont know which ones to monkey with.

sofar i can get a 33 second SuperPI, i will be happy i spent 2 grand if i can knock off 3 seconds and be stable.

any help is really appreciated.

TIA!!

little bump because even at stock i cant load UT2004, after the first CD it goes BSOD and does a memory dump for a not_less_equal type error.

i did run memtest for 36 loops flawlwssly though. im at 1.9v and even tried 2.0v with the same result.

Archived