Corsair Community

Fans Not Lighting Up

Go to solution Solved by c-attack,

I've had my PC for almost 5 years and the majority of the time my corsair RGB works fine. Recently, it has completely stopped working. I Have 4 LL120 Fans connected to a lighting node pro (ports 1-4) and only 2 can light up. The two that light up don't even fully light up; they're half dark and half lit. No idea why this is happening but nothing I have tried seems to have helped. I have:

-disconnected and reconnected all headers

-uninstalled/reinstalled icue, done all updates

-use different configurations of the rgb ports on the lighting node pro

-checked for physical damage to headers/connectors (none)

-watched about every troubleshooting video under the sun

Any suggestions would be appreciated, trying to make the most out of the fans that I paid £20 each for lol

1 hour ago, frasbo said:

The two that light up don't even fully light up;

Where are they in the fan sequence?  Fans 3 & 4?  Somewhere else?  

Most issues of this type are a blown LED in the chain.  The RGB Lighting Hub and the fans are a series circuit, so one bad LED spoils the fun.  Try checking each fan in the #1 slot on the RGB hub by itself.  Using a static white pattern typically makes identification easier.  

Yes, the ones that completely don't turn on are in fan slots 3 & 4. Although, even fan 1 doesn't light up fully, and yet fan 2 also lights up? I will try each fan in the 1 slot.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, c-attack said:

Where are they in the fan sequence?  Fans 3 & 4?  Somewhere else?  

Most issues of this type are a blown LED in the chain.  The RGB Lighting Hub and the fans are a series circuit, so one bad LED spoils the fun.  Try checking each fan in the #1 slot on the RGB hub by itself.  Using a static white pattern typically makes identification easier.  

This has somewhat worked - the two fans that were previously unlit are now lit up, and after putting the fan that was previously in the second slot into the fourth, all fans light (although the culprit fan is still half lit - is it a lost cause?)

I've set the lights to static white, however, on one of the fans that was previously unlit there is a pink and a yellow spot - does this mean that an LED is broken? Is this something that can be fixed?

Also, the number 1 fan is flickering repeatedly in a certain spot - perhaps also a broken LED?

Thanks for you help so far

Edited by frasbo

• Solution

Flickering is usually an intermittent signal inhibition.  It can be a real pain because it makes other fans in the chain do strange things.  Watch out when testing with that one that is doesn't make other fans look like failures.

A yellow spot generally indicates the blue LED at that position is not outputting at full strength.  Magenta indicates a green led weakness.  If you typically use normal color patterns (non-static white), you might be able to get away with leaving it alone.  A blown color LED doesn't usually end the circuit.  

The one stuck half lit is likely the bad fan and the original source of trouble.  There are no physical fixes for this stuff. You have to replace the fan.  5 years is pretty good for LL fans.  

• Like 1