Corsair Community

Need help with PSU connectors

Go to solution Solved by LeDoyen,

Hello there.

I'm powering a ASRock B650M Pro RS WiFi motherboard with a RM750x PSU.  See pic below.

On the mobo, I have a ATX12V1 connector.  On the PSU, I have 2 wires that could fit in, essentially identical, but neither is an exact match to the mobo connector. One wire is labelled "CPU", the other "PCIe".  Both wires seem to plug in same bank of plugs on the PSU, so I imagine both wires would work, and my guess is that one labelled CPU one to use.  But it's my first time building myself, and since the wires aren't an exact match, I just don't want to take any chances.

Thanks.

spacer.png

• Solution

you got that correct. the CPU cable goes to the EPS12v connector of the motherboard.

you would soon realize if you force a PCIE connector in there. it is not keyed the same so you'd have to jam it in, and it would trigger the PSU short curcuit protection since the pinouts are different between the two. 

CPU = EPS12v

PCIE = graphics card only

30 minutes ago, LeDoyen said:

you would soon realize if you force a PCIE connector in there. it is not keyed the same so you'd have to jam it in, and it would trigger the PSU short curcuit protection since the pinouts are different between the two. 

Rule of thumb for system builds: If you have to fight to get it in there, you're probably doing it wrong.