Corsair Community

H150i coolant temp fan curve - loud under load?

Go to solution Solved by c-attack,

Hi,

A coolant fan curve check in here to see if I'm on the right track. It is very loud at gaming load, seeing if anyone out there with a similar set up can offer a more optimal coolant temp fan curve (or any fan curve)

LIAN LI O11 dynamic, H150I with 3X ML120 placed on the roof of the case facing down) , 6 x ML120 RG Elite PWM with 3 on the bottom and 3 running down the back side of the case on the right hand side), ryzen 7 5800x, 3080 ti, b550e mobo

When I turn my pc on the coolant is around 21 degrees ambient. My workflow temps then as follows:

Idle (normal browsing, using fancy zones on 3821dw so typically have youtube, twitter and chrome and / or low intensity game like slay the spire running at once on the screen)

Coolant temp: 35 degrees, fans around 820 RPM and H150I around 2250 (so nice and quiet, a gentle hum coming from the PC)

CPU Package: Around 41-43 degrees

GPU: Around 50-53 degrees

Gaming Load (something like Cyberpunk or other intense games)

Coolant temp: 41 degrees (this is the highest i've seen it go unless stress testing)

CPU Package: 55-65 degrees (depending on which game)

GPU: 55 degrees plus (depending on which game)

So my working range is between 35-41 degrees in terms of coolant temp and my fan curve is set like this:

29 degrees: 32%

34 degrees: 35% (typical idle temp doing normal browsing, RPM around 800)

37 degrees: 38%

39 degrees: 52%

41 degrees: 65% (typical gaming load temp - LOUD!)

45 degrees: 95%

50 degrees: 100%

image.thumb.png.0523366668ad26cb78d4a2f98bc19d9b.pngimage.thumb.png.75cd4ccb547ecb0a1682d0711867a917.pngth

• Solution
13 hours ago, ObieTrice said:

LIAN LI O11 dynamic, H150I with 3X ML120 placed on the roof of the case facing down) , 6 x ML120 RG Elite PWM with 3 on the bottom and 3 running down the back side of the case on the right hand side), ryzen 7 5800x, 3080 ti, b550e mobo

It seems like your MB side wall and bottom fans are intake and then force exhausting all case waste heat out through the top panel where the radiator resides.  This is going to lead to higher than usual coolant temps, particularly in gaming when the GPU is spitting out 300W+.  You can try to alternate intake/exhaust arrangements: 1) Turn the MB side wall fans to exhaust to see if you can draw more GPU heat out through that path vs the top exhaust.  2) Move the radiator to the side wall as intake or exhaust (case/room position dependent).  Keep top as free air exhaust.  This should help keep more environment waste heat away from the radiator.

As for the immediate set-up, +1C to coolant temp = +1C to CPU temp.  The only disadvantage of 41C vs 39C coolant is it makes the CPU +2C warmer.  If your CPU temps are hitting your personal limit then you'll need to get strong on the fans, but otherwise set them to run at noise tolerable levels.  Int his case, I think all you really need to do is create a 50% PWM plateau in the 39-44C range.  This is where you'll be most of the time and this seems to be a tolerable speed for you, just below the annoyance level.  Leave the heavy fan blast at 45 and 50C.  If you hit 50C, you need to know.  That should be out of bounds for most everyone.

As to "typical temps", most user will idle 4-7C above room temp and see gaming temps +10C above that.  It's the first part where you are losing some ground.  Being able to keep the coolant baseline ~7C lower will let you further relax fans speeds or lower CPU temp 7C across the board.  

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks so much switching the sidewall to exhaust has actually helped. Sorry for the late reply I've been on holidays but v much appreciated!