Corsair Community

Current PSU's?

Pocah

Taking a look at my local Corsair, I am confused by the product lineup. 

I am looking to replace an ageing RM550x, but it seems that replacements are lower quality.  (I do wish that Corsair would make decent low power PSU's, I have no need for even 550W). 

The Corsair website is confusing, it lists certain products as out of stock, when I think they are actually discontinued. 

Much as though I don't want to go to a higher power output, would I be better going for the RM750x rather than the RM650 or e or whatever, because it is a better quality? Price is not important. 

Your wisdom please!! :classic_biggrin:

Well, 550W PSu is a rarity. Unfortunately, these power supplies have become unusable due to further development of the hardware (including power consumption).

What Nvidia, Intel and AMD already specify as specifications for their hardware, the PSU must be adapted.

Corsair must also be able to deliver on these specifications and what the customer demands.
And the high quality of the PSU at corsair is extremely high, that's beyond question.

to your question:
Take a Corsair RMx Series 2021 RM750x power supply and you will be satisfied 😉
Please also replace the cables when changing the PSU 😉

I bought a 1000w power supply thinking I'd never need it. I pushed the machine yesterday to nearly 900w. Overkill is in my opinion a good thing, maybe not on the wallet, but better have it and not need it than need it an not have it if you ask me! YMMV...

I also went the same way. I also switched from an 850w psu to a 1000w.
The HXI series lasts longer than 5 years and unfortunately the CPU and GPU do not become more energy efficient.

But the PSUs are becoming more efficient so that only the electricity that is really needed is used.

It doesn't look like high-end tech is going to use less power in the foreseeable future in the Intel/AMD CPU or AMD/NVIDIA GPU arms race. The jury is still out one whether Intel is ready to compete at the high-end of the GPU market.  

The three PSU's I have in service: HX-1200i, AX-1200i (both are platinum rated) & AX-1600i (titanium rated) but to be fair, I run SLI'ed 180TI's, RTX-3090 & RTX-4090 across the 3 rigs (all water-cooled) that I overclock from time to time. I have one lower wattage PSU that I use for filling and to test leak my water-cooled builds; a SF-450 (gold rated) with a bridged 24-pin (pins 4 & 5) that I got at a silly cheap price just before the COVID lockdowns.

well, Arrowlake PL2 has been leaked to be 177W (vs 253W currently on the same core config on 13900k and 14900k), so it's likely going down even if it's not official yet. that would be cool given how GPUs are taking the opposite route 

• Like 1