Corsair Community

PC won't boot using RM850e and RM1000e PSUs

Hi all

I've just replaced my Corsair CX650.

Initially I bought the RM850e but when I tested it my PC won't boot. When I turn it on the CPU fan spins and the PSU makes a clicking sound but it won't boot. When I stop  pressing the on button it just stops completely. I've checked and re-seated all the cables.

I assumed the unit was faulty so ordered an RM1000e. It has exactly the same problem. It would seem very unlikely that both units are faulty. Is there some incompatibility issue? There's clearly power going in. When I plug my CX650 back in it works fine.

My system is ASRock A320M-HDV r4.0, Ryzen 5 2600 and GTX1070. 

All suggestions as to how to resolve welcome!

Thanks

Have you installed all the RM1000e gen 4 cables?

Everything connected correctly atx and cpu power supply?

Yes, checked all connections are correct and seated properly. As I say when I put the CX650 back in it works fine. It seems implausible that both new units are faulty hence why I'm thinking my mobo doesn't like them for some reason and is refusing to boot?

Hi, I have the same exact problem with my new RM850e. Power seems to be delivered but the system just won't boot, it only makes that one click as you described. I've reseated all the cables a couple of times now. Everything worked perfectly on the CX500 which I will reinstall tomorrow because rn I'm too exhausted from all the hours of tinkering on RM850e. Sure hope to get some more info. Cheers

motherboard: asrock b450m-hdv r4.0

gpu: RX 6700 XT

cpu: Ryzen 7 3700X

Edited by Frule88

there is literally nothing to be incompatible with. it's a 30 years old standard and there is no real communication between the system and the PSU besides a contact that is closed by the CPU to keep the PSU on when all the voltages have been checked to be stable and in spec.

The way the PSU behaves sound like a short circuit protection.

Make sure you used PCIE cables for the GPU (6+2 pins split connectors on the GPU side, and the solid 8 pin side on the PSU), and CPU cables on the CPU (4+4 pin split connector on the motherboard side, and solid 8 pin on the PSU side).

It's often those two that get mixed somehow, and the PSU just protects itself because of the mis-wiring.

Ikr. And there is literally no way I can connect this wrongly. All the connectors are clearly labelled. The inputs to the PSU are also clearly labelled. Unless there's been some f up with where the notch is placed on the cpu connector (obvz the notches should marry up) idk what else I can try. 

Hello, I've also put my CX 500 back in and it all works perfectly fine. As BeatPoet said, all the connectors are so clearly labelled and I've connected my RM850e like this: PCIE cables for the GPU (6+2 pins split connectors on the GPU side, and the solid 8 pin side on the PSU), and CPU cables on the CPU (4+4 pin split connector on the motherboard side, and solid 8 pin on the PSU side) did this Friday and yesterday but with no success.

Also yesterday I have tried resetting CMOS and removed the CMOS battery and putting it back again after some 15 min, and this time CPU fan actually started spinning indefinitely with RGB lights on instead of just glowing RGB lights and 1 spin, but unfortunately again only 1 click sound inside PSU and no screen on monitors, no BIOS no nothing.

I've also tried removing GPU completely and use the HDMI port for the screen to motherboard because it has an iGPU and still the same.

Maybe this info helps somehow, as I said I am back on old CX 500 and would like to get my RM 850e working. Cheers

Not much customer service going on here so both the 850 and 1000 are being returned. I'll stick with the CX650 and a 4060 gfx card in the meantime. It's more than enough for my casual gaming needs and uses very little power. Thanks for all the help Corsair!

• Like 1

On 2/26/2024 at 6:08 PM, BeatPoet said:

Not much customer service going on here

Their support team's @ https://help.corsair.com