Corsair Community

iCUE Emergency Shutdown Root Cause Determined

KRoy

For visibility to the community, I have discovered that the coolant temperature captured in the log (5 sec increments) periodicallly contains bogus temperatures.  These values come in two forms:

1)  missing characters (e.g. missing digit such as 3.00 degC rather than 30.00 deg C
2)  incorrect temperatures (all values are in the 30 degC range, every 5 seconds except for one value of 90.00 deg C (which is obviously incorrect) out of a consistent range around 30 degC before and after the one value for 5 secs.

I am not observing more than 2 bogus values one after the other.  Therefore the solution is to change the time frame value from 0 (e.g immediately shutdown the PC) to 60 (have to see the values persist for a minute).

One could argue that this needs to be addressed in the iCue software (throw out bogus values based on some logic).

Note that most PC's will shut themselves down due to excessive heat, before damage is done.  So the iCue emergency shutdown option is an "added layer of protection" which some argue is not necessary.

The other issue is that when the emergency shutdown is triggered by iCue, the Windows event viewer displays a 1074 event that has no information about what program triggered the shutdown.  This is an additional issue that needs to be addressed by iCue, assuming that there is a param or method to identify the requester for the shutdown service request.

Hope this is of value to the community.  I spent weeks trying to figure this thing out ... and in my opinion this was avoidable.  This issue has been known for what appears to be years now.

Kirk