Corsair Community

Corsair HX1000i clicks when opening apps that draw power over 200W

hi

So, joining the club, i also have the "clicks" when launching apps on a 1 month old Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra Quiet ATX Power Supply, i contacted Corsair support last week and didn't receive any replyyet . After digging a bit online, i found several other people with that, plus a video where they tested the PSU outside of the case.

For me It seems to happen when there's a "load", i.e. when i launch Mullvad VPN or Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Photoshop, something a bit heavy, makes that "click". nothing strange happens, no warnings nothing, temperatures are good as well.

From other users:

"the hxi1000 produces strange click noises during operation, non-periodical but with a certain repeatability....starting programs for example"

"The power supply has excellent efficiency, the iCUE allows you to monitor absorption and numerous other parameters, zero coil whine. The only major flaw are the relays. My system is almost inaudible, and it is possible to hear the relays that go off more than a meter away."

"Just some time ago I bought new Corsair HX1000i (2022) psu. It seems to work well but ,,clicks" every time some load is applied to it, for example; starting FurMark, ATItool or some other stress test."

My "click" sounds at these minutes: 0:30, 0:48, 0:49, 0:50, 0:54, 0:58, 1:03. https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/sclpzxn6eklhh58a0d302/Gab-s-Deepcool-LT-720-Clicking-Noise.mp4?rlkey=fdsmx7n0j7evvyhsr1ls6z308&dl=0

(please DO NOT comment on the AIO installation, thank you)

https://hwbusters.com/forum/psus/corsair-hx1000i-2022-relay-clicking/
https://linustechtips.com/topic/1457224-corsair-hx1000i-weird-single-clicks-while-in-use/

I would like to know

1. Why this happens? Can we minimise the clicks? Mine are really small but i can still hear them..... call me picky

2. Are they going to damage the PSU in the long run? Is there any point in having it replaced or upgraded? Considering it already costed me ~€200 which isn't a small amount.

thanks!
Gabrio

Edited by gabgab

• 2 weeks later...

Eventually they replied me now and got things going and the ball is rolling now - support offered me to replace my HX1000i with a new one, which is pretty good :), curious to see if the "clicks" disappear :)

Edited by gabgab

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2023 at 4:57 PM, gabgab said:

Eventually they replied me now and got things going and the ball is rolling now - support offered me to replace my HX1000i with a new one, which is pretty good :), curious to see if the "clicks" disappear 🙂

Has replacing the power supply solved the "click" problem?

Edited by johnny111

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
On 8/22/2023 at 12:03 AM, gabgab said:

hi

So, joining the club, i also have the "clicks" when launching apps on a 1 month old Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra Quiet ATX Power Supply, i contacted Corsair support last week and didn't receive any replyyet . After digging a bit online, i found several other people with that, plus a video where they tested the PSU outside of the case.

For me It seems to happen when there's a "load", i.e. when i launch Mullvad VPN or Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Photoshop, something a bit heavy, makes that "click". nothing strange happens, no warnings nothing, temperatures are good as well.

From other users:

"the hxi1000 produces strange click noises during operation, non-periodical but with a certain repeatability....starting programs for example"

"The power supply has excellent efficiency, the iCUE allows you to monitor absorption and numerous other parameters, zero coil whine. The only major flaw are the relays. My system is almost inaudible, and it is possible to hear the relays that go off more than a meter away."

"Just some time ago I bought new Corsair HX1000i (2022) psu. It seems to work well but ,,clicks" every time some load is applied to it, for example; starting FurMark, ATItool or some other stress test."

I would like to know

1. Why this happens? Can we minimise the clicks? Mine are really small but i can still hear them..... call me picky

2. Are they going to damage the PSU in the long run? Is there any point in having it replaced or upgraded? Considering it already costed me ~€200 which isn't a small amount.

Because of this situation, I didn't have enough time to complete my Excel assignment. I have a low skill in working with tables in Excel, so I hoped that I would have time to figure it out.

thanks!
Gabrio

1. The reasons may be different. The clicking could be a normal behavior of the power supply when it's handling changes in load. It's not uncommon for some power supplies to produce audible clicks under certain conditions. Hmm...to minimize it you can make sure all components, including the power supply, are securely and properly seated in their respective slots.
2.Clicking sounds, especially if they are consistent and occur during normal operations, might not necessarily indicate damage. 

Edited by wallecurese

On 8/22/2023 at 12:03 AM, gabgab said:

hi

From other users:

My "click" sounds at these minutes: 0:30, 0:48, 0:49, 0:50, 0:54, 0:58, 1:03.

I would like to know

Because of this situation, I didn't have enough time to complete my Excel assignment. I have a low skill in working with tables in Excel, so I hoped that I would have time to figure it out.

thanks!
Gabrio

If the clicking is not affecting the performance of your system and is not too loud, it might be considered a normal operational sound. In the meantime, keep an eye on your system's performance, temperatures, and stability to ensure that the power supply is not causing any issues beyond the audible clicks.