Corsair Community

Icue v5.147 - K100 lighting off when switching virtuoso XT from wired to wireless mode or vice versa

There is a lighting issue with wired K100 boards in CUE 5.  It's almost as if the KB developed a sleep timer and turns off it's lighting at random intervals.  The KB will stay in CUE, function normally including macros, assignments, and other software related functions, but the lights go out.  Quit and restart CUE works as does a re-plug of the USB for the KB.  It feels random, but I noticed it most often when I was doing other things and not using the KB.  Up to this point, the K100 wired had been the only board reported and that lead me to wonder about the control wheel brightness function.  We're going to have to wait for a software fix and my K100 is waiting on a shelf.  For users with only the K100 as an option, you may want to consider staying on CUE 4.33 if disconnecting/reconnecting the KB once per hour is going to drive you crazy.    

This happens with the K70 RGB PRO as well. I just witnessed it twice with mine while unplugging the Virtuoso XT. The keyboard "going to sleep" is a perfect way to describe it. The RBG turns off, but the keyboard still works. The only fix is to unplug and replug in the keyboard.

Mentioned here as well: 

Edited by CivilizedAge

I never got a good handle on the trigger event.  It will happen if you do nothing and watch it (eventually).  However, connecting or disconnecting other USB devices seems to trigger it quite often.  Interesting it happens on the K70 PRO as well.  Looks like it is not control wheel related then.  None of my K95P, K95XT, K70 MK.2s are affected.  Just the newer keyboards?

Yeah it could be unplugging USB that triggers it. Sometimes unplugging a USB drives does it too. 

Out of curiosity, what mice are you using with the K100?  Or maybe the better question are you using any other wireless products?  You both have the Virt XT.  I plugged the K100 into front of the PC and left it there all day while I used another branded KB and another branded wireless mouse.  The K100 didn't drop once.  Then this afternoon I took those off and moved the K100 to the back USB 3 port, connecting only it's USB line.  Then I tried connecting both my Dark Core Pro receiver and my M65 Ultra receiver to pretty much every other USB port available.  The K100 would go lights out within 1-2 minutes (if not instantly) every time.  I am starting to wonder if this is a combination issue with any Corsair 2.4 GHz wireless device.  I don't understand why it would be K100 or K70 Pro specific, but I've had the wired Nightsword on for 2 hours without a drop now. 

I do have the M65 Ultra Wireless. And I use the Virtuoso XT but the receiver is not always plugged in, so I frequently connect and disconnect it. Today it didn’t happen, meaning the K70 RGB Pro lights stayed on today. Yesterday it did happen twice. Very odd thing. 

Happened again today. Plugging in the Virtuoso wireless receiver (or any USB device) turned off the RBG on the K70 RGB Pro. 

Edited by CivilizedAge

I'm starting to wonder about CUE 5's need to detect each USB device connected to check whether it needs a module install.  I can create it at any time now by connecting any random corsair wired device to the front USB ports while the K100 is connected in the back.  No 2.4 GHz devices in play.  Connect any wired KB to the front and it goes out.  Connect any wired mouse to the front and it goes out.  I suspect the same applies to the wireless headset receiver or any other.  If true, it also would explain why it is a non-issue on CUE 4.33 and earlier since it did not have a need to do a module check on connect every time.  So then the last part is why are only the K100 and K70 Pro affected? 

1 minute ago, c-attack said:

I'm starting to wonder about CUE 5's need to detect each USB device connected to check whether it needs a module install.  I can create it at any time now by connecting any random corsair wired device to the front USB ports while the K100 is connected in the back.  No 2.4 GHz devices in play.  Connect any wired KB to the front and it goes out.  Connect any wired mouse to the front and it goes out.  I suspect the same applies to the wireless headset receiver or any other.  If true, it also would explain why it is a non-issue on CUE 4.33 and earlier since it did not have a need to do a module check on connect every time.  So then the last part is why are only the K100 and K70 Pro affected? 

Very solid reasoning, that very well may be. I guess maybe iCUE 5 doesn't "know" what you just plugged in and needs to check, but yeah, why is it turning off the RBG on these keyboard though. Seems like as classic bug that should "easy" to recreate and track down for a developer.

It seemed logical, but I also am able to make it drop out by removing a wired mouse from a different KB connected to rear panel while the K100 is connected via USB in the front of the case.  I don't know anymore, but some type of add/remove device error.  Such a strange effect though.  It doesn't knock the K100 out of CUE or impair other functions -- just lights out.  

@NightfireXIV  @CivilizedAge  There's nothing in the new patch notes, but I have not been able to make the K100 drop since updating to 5.1.  Any more connecting/disconnecting and I'll wear out my USB sockets.  Hopefully this works for you as well.