Corsair Community

H150i PRO XT fans replace

dnm13

Hey guys, I have a question for those who's experienced regarding to fans.

I'll be honest here; I'm a total newbie when it comes to cooling solutions, especially fans that you need to buy separately.

I got a H150i PRO XT for $75 (brand new) to pair with my 5800X. I'm impressed with it's performance to cool down my chip. But aesthetic wise, especially since I have side + front tempered glass PC case (in which I put the H150i on the front slot), I think I want to replace the fans with RGB variant, and I want it to work with iCUE.

So far, what I gathered from simple net browsing, the fans that I might want would be made from Corsair in order to make it work with iCUE, and it has to be PWM 4 pin. I also don't want to sacrifice my current performance with the ML120, so preferably the fans' RPM is equivalent / higher. What catch my eyes is HD120. Will they work?

I also read something like Commander Pro. What are they? Do I also need them?

Hi Buddy.

so. prob best you start with the RGB Faq in my signature below. that will inform you of the devices such as the Commander Per etc.

quick question. when your machine is under load.. whats temps and what sort of speeds are you seeing from your ML fans? and indeed what sort of fan curve do you have applied to them?

I have had all versions of Corsair H150i and i have always used Corsairs HD or LL or QL fans and never needed them to run at full speed even under load..

Edited by Zotty
  • Like 1

The HD fan series has been discontinued. There are still some out there, but be careful on pricing. They should not be overly expensive. Also of note the HD120 has a minimum run speed of 800 rpm. For those looking for the lowest possible idle noise load, that might be a bit high. 

On a 360mm radiator fan choice is not overly consequential in terms of performance. Even a 5800x is not going to produce the massive wattage you can put in with a large GPU. With normal mixed use you’ll be hard pressed to tell the difference between ML, LL, and QL at moderate speed. If you routinely run the OEM fans on the XT at 2000+ rpm, then you may want to pick a fan capable of that as well. Most RGB fans have moderate limits. 

You will need a RGB controller. Most triple 120mm packs will come with one, but not the HD. 

7 hours ago, Zotty said:

Hi Buddy.

so. prob best you start with the RGB Faq in my signature below. that will inform you of the devices such as the Commander Per etc.

quick question. when your machine is under load.. what sort of speeds are you seeing from your ML fans? and indeed what sort of fan curve do you have applied to them?

I have had all versions of Corsair H150i and i have always used Corsairs HD or LL or QL fans and never needed them to run at full speed even under load..

Hi Zotty,
Thanks for your reply.

I'm sorry, but what signature are you talking about? I'm new here and don't have much experience on online forums so if you could tell me it would be appreciated.

Speeds...? Again, how can I check that on my computer? We're talking about how fast the fans spins in RPM right? I don't know how to check that too. Excuse my inexperiencedness.

On full load though (AIDA64 FPU stress test), I got 81'C at max temperature. I'm not sure whether the fan was running at full speed at that time?

4 hours ago, c-attack said:

The HD fan series has been discontinued. There are still some out there, but be careful on pricing. They should not be overly expensive. Also of note the HD120 has a minimum run speed of 800 rpm. For those looking for the lowest possible idle noise load, that might be a bit high. 

On a 360mm radiator fan choice is not overly consequential in terms of performance. Even a 5800x is not going to produce the massive wattage you can put in with a large GPU. With normal mixed use you’ll be hard pressed to tell the difference between ML, LL, and QL at moderate speed. If you routinely run the OEM fans on the XT at 2000+ rpm, then you may want to pick a fan capable of that as well. Most RGB fans have moderate limits. 

You will need a RGB controller. Most triple 120mm packs will come with one, but not the HD. 

Hi c-attack,
Thanks for your reply.

That's weird since I picked it up from Corsair's website.

I don't mind noise since most of the time I close my ears with headphones.

I just read the ML120 RPM speed, and turns out it's 2400 at max, not 1600 (I wonder how did I got this value).

If I want to maintain the cooling performance, I should get the RGB version of the ML120?

Most items from years past remain on the website as a point of reference, but that ‘notify me when in stock’ tag never goes away. There still are HDs out there in the market, if that’s what you really want. 

Most of these fans will deliver like performance at like speeds. Most people find an extra 400-500 rpm to reduce the cpu temp by 1 degree to be a poor trade, so I suggest choosing based on appearance, style, or really most anything else. If you are trying to do like for like, I would choose the ML-Elite 8 led fan that is replacing the 4 led ML-Pro RGB. It’s is the ML-RGB that has a 1600 rpm max.  There are multiple ML fan variants do you have to be careful with the name. 

You'd be better off with the ML Pro or ML Elite. The ML Elite will be prettier. They'll have very similar performance and the same sound profile. The HDs can be a bit irritatingly noisy at higher speeds. They are, however, the brightest of the Corsair RGB fans and I'm quite sad to see them discontinued.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dnm13 said:

Hi Zotty,
Thanks for your reply.

I'm sorry, but what signature are you talking about? I'm new here and don't have much experience on online forums so if you could tell me it would be appreciated.

look at the orange text below this text.. these are clickable links to Faqs and Guides on these subjects.

and if you are seeing 81c on the stock fans then as said. you will need ML fans if you cant find the HD's.. . this is why i asked the temp your are seeing...

some great advice above so looks like you are sorted 🙂.

prob worth reading said faqs mind you so you can get your head around how it all connect and works.

good luck on your quest

Edited by Zotty

13 hours ago, c-attack said:

Most items from years past remain on the website as a point of reference, but that ‘notify me when in stock’ tag never goes away. There still are HDs out there in the market, if that’s what you really want. 

Most of these fans will deliver like performance at like speeds. Most people find an extra 400-500 rpm to reduce the cpu temp by 1 degree to be a poor trade, so I suggest choosing based on appearance, style, or really most anything else. If you are trying to do like for like, I would choose the ML-Elite 8 led fan that is replacing the 4 led ML-Pro RGB. It’s is the ML-RGB that has a 1600 rpm max.  There are multiple ML fan variants do you have to be careful with the name. 

So I want the same ML-Pro 120mm then

13 hours ago, DevBiker said:

You'd be better off with the ML Pro or ML Elite. The ML Elite will be prettier. They'll have very similar performance and the same sound profile. The HDs can be a bit irritatingly noisy at higher speeds. They are, however, the brightest of the Corsair RGB fans and I'm quite sad to see them discontinued.

I haven't take a look at ML Elite. Will do that first before deciding what to buy. Thanks 🙂

7 hours ago, Zotty said:

look at the orange text below this text.. these are clickable links to Faqs and Guides on these subjects.

and if you are seeing 81c on the stock fans then as said. you will need ML fans if you cant find the HD's.. . this is why i asked the temp your are seeing...

some great advice above so looks like you are sorted 🙂.

prob worth reading said faqs mind you so you can get your head around how it all connect and works.

good luck on your quest

I'm not sure what's wrong here, but I don't see any orange text. Both in light and dark mode 😕

I guess it's decided that I'm going to need another ML pro fans, but with RGB this time

Thank you guys, now I know what to get 😄

1 hour ago, dnm13 said:

I'm not sure what's wrong here, but I don't see any orange text. Both in light and dark mode 😕

If you are on a mobile device, rotate 90 degrees and the formatting will change. Zotty has a lot of links in his signature but I’m just noticing they are not visible on my iPhone when vertical. 

• Thanks 1

I feel compelled to put in my two cents. I recently bought the iCue H150 Elite AIO which came with three of some type of ML120 RGB variant fans. They reach RPMs of 2400. The AIO also came with a Commander Core pro module, which has spaces for up to six fans. I decided to add three more fans to my AIO and went with the ML120 RGB Pro fans from Amazon only to realize they weren't the same as what came with my AIO. They top out at 1600 RPM and only have 4 RGB LEDs, whereas the ones that came with my AIO have eight LEDs per fan. I am going to return them and try the ML120 RGB Elite fans. They seem to be the closest to what came with my AIO even though they seem to top out at 2000 RPM.