Corsair Community

ASUS iCue integration issue

thejuic3d

Hey guys, first time poster here.

I seem to be having an issue with my ASUS Motherboard and GPU and their iCue integration.

Both iCue and Armoury Crate are updated to the latest versions but I'm only seeing 1 lighting zone for my GPU.

Also, the RGB lighting freezes whilst gaming for both the MOBO and GPU, however the RAM RGB remains unaffected.

Is anyone else struggling with these issues, or if you have managed to resolve the issues, please do let me know how.

Cheers in advance!

Juic3d.

Hi thejuic3d...

Maybe something like this?

Hi Shadowmaker, 

My issue is basically whenever I open up a game that's even remotely strenuous on my PC, it's almost as if the ASUS Plugin just crashes. 

I've had this issue for a little while (mainly since I swapped my old TUF 3070 out for a Strix 3070. 

The TUF 3070 never had any RGB issues and reacted to the lighting effects exactly as expected without any issue with the MOBO either.

However, since the switch, RGB for the MOBO and GPU now freezes and I have to close iCue and reopen it to get it working. 

It's more of an inconvenience than anything but It sure is a pain to have to look at a frozen animation.

8 minutes ago, thejuic3d said:

Hi Shadowmaker, 

My issue is basically whenever I open up a game that's even remotely strenuous on my PC, it's almost as if the ASUS Plugin just crashes. 

I've had this issue for a little while (mainly since I swapped my old TUF 3070 out for a Strix 3070. 

The TUF 3070 never had any RGB issues and reacted to the lighting effects exactly as expected without any issue with the MOBO either.

However, since the switch, RGB for the MOBO and GPU now freezes and I have to close iCue and reopen it to get it working. 

It's more of an inconvenience than anything but It sure is a pain to have to look at a frozen animation.

Yeah... that's the same issue that i'm having trouble with!

Did you have installed the latest version of Armory Crate from ASUS or just de Aura Sync?

1 hour ago, Shadowmaker said:

Yeah... that's the same issue that i'm having trouble with!

Did you have installed the latest version of Armory Crate from ASUS or just de Aura Sync?

I've uninstalled Armoury Crate and iCue, reinstalled both. Same issue.

Fixed the programs through control panel, still same issue.

I'm not too sure what else can be done really, seems like it's not really an issue that's being covered across forums 😕

2 hours ago, thejuic3d said:

Do me a favor.... in the scenario where the RGB on MOBO and GPU just freezes, don't close the iCUE and check the log files in this location:

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Corsair\CUE4\logs

Are you seeing something in the lines of this kind of message?

cue.plugin: Cannot call: "setLedsColors" "ASUS/asus_plugin.dll"

That's all I'm getting man, I have no clue what it means though

image.png

My theory is that at some point, iCUE can't communicate with the ASUS plugIn to set the colors of the correspondent profile, either if the profile change to another or simply of been in the default one.

Is really confusing and the worst part is there has been no straight answer about this issue from Corsair or ASUS.

For the time being we have to wait for an update from Corsair or ASUS.

I've been dealing with this issue for a couple months now, and I seem to have found at least a workaround for now:

• Open both Armoury Crate and iCUE
  • In iCUE settings, disable the plugins slider/toggle switch
  • In Armoury Crate, enable then disable "Performance Mode" (under the Aura Sync menu)
    • This should reset your lighting to whatever your Aura default is, e.g. Rainbow
  • In iCUE, re-enable the plugins slider.
    • After a few seconds your iCUE should take control of Aura again

As for the "one zone" issue, this one is a bit harder to pin down. I've found that reinstalling (using the uninstall tool, rebooting, installing, rebooting again) Armoury Crate can help, but the most important thing seems to be ensuring that your device HAL is up to date. You can check this in the settings->updates section in the bottom left of AC. I also have a Strix 3070 and its infuriating to have the one zone issue, but it seems to be an Aura issue rather than anything iCUE-related.

My theory regarding why this issue exists is due to the way that this is implemented. Corsair is using a "game integration" to control Aura, and I think that Asus never thought people would be playing a single Aura-integrated game for >12 hours. I've noticed that the integration will run fine in the morning, but often break later at night. Or if I reboot during the day, then the integration breaks sometime at night or early morning when I'm asleep. It always seems to be around the 12-14 hour mark though.

Just my two cents though, I'm not on Asus or Corsair's dev team, and I'm not good enough at reverse engineering things to go and try diagnose this. I have a workaround that works for me, for now that's enough.

This software is so messed up guys, I'm now dealing with the same issue as before as well as half a light bar frozen with an effect from Armoury Crate that I can't change no matter how much I reboot etc and another half the light bar being controlled by iCue. Such a shame this isn't being addressed by Asus or Corsair smh.

243108432_450195899690371_5139918794815118414_n.jpg

12 hours ago, Riccorbypro said:

My theory regarding why this issue exists is due to the way that this is implemented. Corsair is using a "game integration" to control Aura, and I think that Asus never thought people would be playing a single Aura-integrated game for >12 hours. I've noticed that the integration will run fine in the morning, but often break later at night. Or if I reboot during the day, then the integration breaks sometime at night or early morning when I'm asleep. It always seems to be around the 12-14 hour mark though.

Just my two cents though, I'm not on Asus or Corsair's dev team, and I'm not good enough at reverse engineering things to go and try diagnose this. I have a workaround that works for me, for now that's enough.

That's an interesting theory and for me is much more frequent (maybe 3 or 4 hours in between fails).

My Workaround to all of this is a little batch file that just kill the ICUE Process, wait 5 seconds and run the program again. That process takes about 15 seconds to be able to see the correct RGB configuration applied to all devices.

3 hours ago, Corsair Albert said:

Aside from having iCUE and Armoury Crate up-to-date, I recommend making sure your ASUS devices/components are up-to-date as well. To update, check the Update Center in Armoury Crate's settings.

spacer.png

All my devices in Armory Crate are up to date!...

All devices and software are up to date, I just wish it didn’t freeze my animation effects upon booting literally any game up consistently. I’ll have to keep the RGB a static colour for now until there’s a patch that fixes the issue 

It must be something wrong in iCUE because according to DOTTAT, the fix for this hole thing is just roll back to iCUE 4.12.214, Source here 

As i said before... in the latest versions of iCUE, it seems that the software loses connectivity at some point with a specific portion of Armory Crate or the lighting service.

One thing i been notice with the latests versions of iCUE is the software takes a good 5 seconds to show the ASUS Hardware in the main window, while iCUE3 and earlier versions of iCUE4 this process was almost instantly.

Maybe is a weird timeout between iCUE and AC and that cause the color freezing.

Edited by Shadowmaker

I'm fairly confident that it is an issue with the asus plugin crashing as it happens whenever a game is being launched and CPU usage is higher. I tested 3 separate games (Call of Duty, Jurassic World Evolution and Battlefield V) and it froze every single time. The only game it doesn't seem to crash for instantly is Maneater for some strange reason, however that is probably due to CPU usage being far lower to open and run the game.

I've also started getting the RAM issue freezing animation and having the red triangle too, so that's fun

1 hour ago, thejuic3d said:

I'm fairly confident that it is an issue with the asus plugin crashing as it happens whenever a game is being launched and CPU usage is higher. I tested 3 separate games (Call of Duty, Jurassic World Evolution and Battlefield V) and it froze every single time. The only game it doesn't seem to crash for instantly is Maneater for some strange reason, however that is probably due to CPU usage being far lower to open and run the game.

I've also started getting the RAM issue freezing animation and having the red triangle too, so that's fun

That's another weird thing that baffles me... it seems that iCUE+AC has this weird degenerative behavior and with that i mean that over time, more issues arise out of the blue.

In my case, a couple weeks ago, the freeze thing with the RGB only happen when changing profiles... but now, happen randomly within the default profile and the PC just doing nothing!.

8 hours ago, Shadowmaker said:

That's another weird thing that baffles me... it seems that iCUE+AC has this weird degenerative behavior and with that i mean that over time, more issues arise out of the blue.

In my case, a couple weeks ago, the freeze thing with the RGB only happen when changing profiles... but now, happen randomly within the default profile and the PC just doing nothing!.

Crazy issues man, I'll try to find a way to completely remove the programmes and delete any leftover files and try a completely fresh install and I'll update you with what I find. Shouldn't have to be like this, but until it's sorted, I guess it'll have to do.

Okay, so after physically removing my Strix GPU, it seems to have resolved the half frozen light bar in AC, however only half the light bar is visible in iCue.

Upon fully closing down iCue, the full bar is now addressable BUT along with the MOBO, still freezes upon opening games. 

With running games through AC however, these issues do not occur so it HAS to be an iCue / ASUS plugin issue.

I keep trying the newer ICUE releases and end up immediately rolling back to the earlier versions.  It's like they simply don't care.  I wish they would come out and just say they are ending support for it because it's certainly no longer "supported".

I finally had some time to check out open RGB and I can already tell it's going to take away any advantage these guys had left.

1 hour ago, DOTTAT said:

I keep trying the newer ICUE releases and end up immediately rolling back to the earlier versions.  It's like they simply don't care.  I wish they would come out and just say they are ending support for it because it's certainly no longer "supported".

I finally had some time to check out open RGB and I can already tell it's going to take away any advantage these guys had left.

I think you may be right to be honest, if Corsair is having issues every time ASUS is putting out another plugin / software "patch" maybe they shouldn't have these cross over points. ASUS' most recent armoury crate update has basically caused Corsair's RAM plugin to be completely unusable and iCue's recent updates have caused ASUS' sorry excuse of a plugin to give everyone and their gran's dog issues. Baffling really.

Actually it's the other way around. I can update armory crate no problem as long as I stay on the version of icue I keep repeating. Anything after that version sends things into a bad spiral. For both of my machines the update that broke things was an icue update and not armory crate. 

19 hours ago, DOTTAT said:

Actually it's the other way around. I can update armory crate no problem as long as I stay on the version of icue I keep repeating. Anything after that version sends things into a bad spiral. For both of my machines the update that broke things was an icue update and not armory crate. 

So... for the sake of maintain this thread documented and to humor my laziness, can you drop here the iCUE version that you are using right now and if not a pain in the a$$, the URL to download that version?

I will appreciate it a lot my dude!

23 hours ago, thejuic3d said:

I think you may be right to be honest, if Corsair is having issues every time ASUS is putting out another plugin / software "patch" maybe they shouldn't have these cross over points. ASUS' most recent armoury crate update has basically caused Corsair's RAM plugin to be completely unusable and iCue's recent updates have caused ASUS' sorry excuse of a plugin to give everyone and their gran's dog issues. Baffling really.

Yeah.... i mean, if you wanna to implement this kind of solutions, implement them right and user friendly, but right now is just more bad than good!.

22 hours ago, Shadowmaker said:

So... for the sake of maintain this thread documented and to humor my laziness, can you drop here the iCUE version that you are using right now and if not a pain in the a$$, the URL to download that version?

I will appreciate it a lot my dude!

It's iCUESetup_4.12.214_release.msi

https://downloads.corsair.com/Files/CUE/iCUESetup_4.12.214_release.msi

Rolling back to this version fixes the RGB control of my ram every time.